Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Well it's true Jennifer.
How many Dr. Suess books do you read? :D
korman93
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by korman93 »

I'm on the 9th book of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

korman93 wrote:I'm on the 9th book of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
Are they really good? Did you see the movie?
How many books are there in the series?
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

fluffy wrote:
korman93 wrote:I'm on the 9th book of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
Are they really good? Did you see the movie?
How many books are there in the series?
those books are good, last year everyone in my class really got into it and started reading the series, alot of people read the whole series so far, but i got only to the ninth and stopped.

The movie was good too but had alot of things out of order and some new things
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Jennifer, as far as children's books goes, there's one I have that I adore. It's called The High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake. The illustrations by Richard Watson are wonderful and the story is magical. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. :D
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

has any one read any one of the chicken soup for the soul books, i'm reading chicken soup for the childrens soul or something like that i dont have it with me right now, but there good stories in there, but there really sad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm reading Schism by Catherine Asaro now. It is the 10th book in the Skolian Empire series, but the second book chronologically. It is a really good series and I think one of the books (Quantum Rose) even won a nebula. I suppose you could classify the series as science fiction/romance/adventure. If anyone wants to try them, a good place to start would be Skyfall. I read them in the order they were published and that is okay too. I think my favorite book in the series is either Quantum Rose or The Last Hawk.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:I'm reading Schism by Catherine Asaro now. It is the 10th book in the Skolian Empire series, but the second book chronologically. It is a really good series and I think one of the books (Quantum Rose) even won a nebula. I suppose you could classify the series as science fiction/romance/adventure. If anyone wants to try them, a good place to start would be Skyfall. I read them in the order they were published and that is okay too. I think my favorite book in the series is either Quantum Rose or The Last Hawk.
I have never coveted a persons library quite as much as I'm coveting yours right now.

Can you read these in any order? I'm only asking because my chances of finding them in any particaular order are slim to none.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:I'm reading Schism by Catherine Asaro now. It is the 10th book in the Skolian Empire series, but the second book chronologically. It is a really good series and I think one of the books (Quantum Rose) even won a nebula. I suppose you could classify the series as science fiction/romance/adventure. If anyone wants to try them, a good place to start would be Skyfall. I read them in the order they were published and that is okay too. I think my favorite book in the series is either Quantum Rose or The Last Hawk.
I have never coveted a persons library quite as much as I'm coveting yours right now.

Can you read these in any order? I'm only asking because my chances of finding them in any particaular order are slim to none.
You can probably read them in any order. They were not written in chronological order. In fact, the second book written takes place way after the rest of the series and the last two books that have come out are the earliest in the series.

You probably will want to read Primary Inversion before Radiant Seas and you will want to read The Last Hawk before Ascendant Sun and The Moon's Shadow.

Skyfall, Catch the Lightning, Primary Inversion, Schism, The Last Hawk, Quantum Rose would all be okay places to start, though Primary Inversion and Catch the Lightning are a little less polished since they are Asaro's first two books.

Quantum Rose, The Last Hawk, and Catch the Lightning all primarily deal with one of the Skolia family members (there are 10 brothers and sister, all of whom are powerful psions).
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Okay I hit up two bookstores and came up with this catch.
No Catherine Asaro but I tried. I think I'll just order those books from Amazon. Keep in mind these are used books so it really depends on what the tourists bring down with them.
Smoker by Greg Rucka
Fractal Mode by Piers Anthony which I know is the second book in the Mode series.
The Diamond Throne by David Eddings
Through the Ice by Piers Anthony and Robert Kornwise
The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks which is the second of the series but my friend says he's seen The Sword of Shannara at another store.

At any rate they sure beat Under the effing Tuscan Sun which is what I'm reading at the moment.
BORING!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:Okay I hit up two bookstores and came up with this catch.
No Catherine Asaro but I tried. I think I'll just order those books from Amazon. Keep in mind these are used books so it really depends on what the tourists bring down with them.
Smoker by Greg Rucka
Fractal Mode by Piers Anthony which I know is the second book in the Mode series.
The Diamond Throne by David Eddings
Through the Ice by Piers Anthony and Robert Kornwise
The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks which is the second of the series but my friend says he's seen The Sword of Shannara at another store.

At any rate they sure beat Under the effing Tuscan Sun which is what I'm reading at the moment.
BORING!
I liked the Mode series. You might want to wait until you find the first book (Virtual Mode), though. It kind of sets the stage.

I really liked the Elenium of which the Diamond Throne is book one. Sparhawk is a cool character.

Eyes of the Dragon is my favorite King book. Of course, I've only read 1 other King book, but still. He wrote this one for one of his kids (his son I think) and it is different from most of his books.

Elfstones of Shannara is good, though you should start with Sword of Shannara. I couldn't get into Sword the first time I tried to read it. I got stalled about 100 pages in and stopped. I tried again a couple of years later and couldn't put it down. Wishstones of Shannara is also good, but I didn't like the next 4 book Shannara cycle that much. First King of Shannara is also good.

I have Through the Ice, but haven't read it yet. If you run across Split Infinity, On a Pale Horse, or Dragon's Gold by Anthony, you should give them a try.

Let me know what you think of First Counsel. I plan to give Meltzer's other books a try eventually.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I will let you know about First Counsel.

I will take your advice about the Shannara books and look for the first Mode book by Anthony. Of all the writers you mentioned, he has more books here.
I still have two more bookstores to check out so I may score.

Why most of these stores place their Sci fi/Fantasy on the lowest or highest shelves is beyond me. I spent almost all the time on my knees or on a chair to find these. :?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I just finished Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes this morning. It had almost nothing to do with the film. Since I already live in a foriegn country and I'm building a house you would think I would have loved this book. I didn't.
IF they had followed the book for the movie, it would have cured all the sleeplessness in the world. BLAGH.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I just finished Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes this morning. It had almost nothing to do with the film. Since I already live in a foriegn country and I'm building a house you would think I would have loved this book. I didn't.
IF they had followed the book for the movie, it would have cured all the sleeplessness in the world. BLAGH.
poor fluffy. I just finished reading The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau. It is about a city underground that has been around for over 200 years. They have store rooms underneath the city that once contained a seemingly endless supply of goods, from canned food to light bulbs to toothpaste, but now the storerooms are starting to run out. The only lights are run by generators and come on in the morning and go out at night, except there are somewhat frequent blackouts that are occuring, which is not good since they have no other source of light. At the age of 12, children are given assignments for jobs in the city and two of these, Doon and Lina are about to start unraveling a few of the mysteries regarding the city, and maybe come up with a solution to the problems of shortages and light.

It was a good read and I'm planning on starting the sequel, The People of Sparks, on Friday
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I started and am almost finished with The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, he wrote this book for his chiildren or child because it's told in a very childlike manner but still, it's a good read simply because his characterizations are so excellent. One of the interesting things is the bad Wizards name is Flagg which is the same name he used for the evil guy in The Stand.