Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
fluffy wrote: No I didn't know Greg Rucka writes comic books too. Unbelievable.

The Praxis sounds great..I'm going to see if my local bookseller ( Frank) has some of these books you've mentioned.
The sequel to The Praxis is called The Sundering. There will be a third book in the series eventually, I believe. Greg Rucka has an independent comic called Queen and Country which I haven't read, but he has also written a few Batman comics and Elektra.
Well I finished Critical Space this morning and it was a really really good book.
Suddenly I'm seeing Greg Ruckas name every where :shock:
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
fluffy wrote: No I didn't know Greg Rucka writes comic books too. Unbelievable.

The Praxis sounds great..I'm going to see if my local bookseller ( Frank) has some of these books you've mentioned.
The sequel to The Praxis is called The Sundering. There will be a third book in the series eventually, I believe. Greg Rucka has an independent comic called Queen and Country which I haven't read, but he has also written a few Batman comics and Elektra.
Well I finished Critical Space this morning and it was a really really good book.
Suddenly I'm seeing Greg Ruckas name every where :shock:
I just finished The Sundering this morning and it was really good. Unfortunately, now I have to wait until November when the third book will be released. I've got a few books out from the library to choose from. One of the books I took out is by Brad Meltzer and is called Zero Game. It is actually a mainstream book which is unusual for me, but Meltzer writes comic books occasionally, including the recent Identity Crisis series, and this book looked interesting.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
I just finished The Sundering this morning and it was really good. Unfortunately, now I have to wait until November when the third book will be released. I've got a few books out from the library to choose from. One of the books I took out is by Brad Meltzer and is called Zero Game. It is actually a mainstream book which is unusual for me, but Meltzer writes comic books occasionally, including the recent Identity Crisis series, and this book looked interesting.
Dang! Where have you been???
I've missed your intellect!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
I worked all day Saturday and have been pretty busy watching Babylon 5 and reading. Since school resumes tomorrow, I'll have to check a bunch of papers this afternoon.
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

kurt culler wrote:
fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
I worked all day Saturday and have been pretty busy watching Babylon 5 and reading. Since school resumes tomorrow, I'll have to check a bunch of papers this afternoon.

all day! thats over work

skool sux, at least thats my opinion
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

azianboi044 wrote:
kurt culler wrote: I worked all day Saturday and have been pretty busy watching Babylon 5 and reading. Since school resumes tomorrow, I'll have to check a bunch of papers this afternoon.

all day! thats over work

skool sux, at least thats my opinion
I've been procrastinating all week and will probably watch tv while I check papers. I think school's okay. It can get kind of boring sometimes when schools not in session. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy vacations, mind you...
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
I've been procrastinating all week and will probably watch tv while I check papers. I think school's okay. It can get kind of boring sometimes when schools not in session. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy vacations, mind you...
Hey I'm bored when I can't do my job. Even when I'm trying to be on vacation I'm still thinking like a painter , taking pictures. I guess I really don't have vacations, now that I think about it.

Azianboi , school is good stuff. You'll realise that later I think.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

kurt culler wrote:I've been procrastinating all week and will probably watch tv while I check papers.
update - I watched Jack and Bobby and got the front half of my Algebra 2 test checked. Now I'll probably flip on B5 and check the back page. That would leave me with a Basic Geometry test to check while watching Carnivale at 9pm. That should be an easy test to check. I procrastinate on checking papers because I'd rather be doing other things, but I do tend to get them back to students in a much more timely fashion than many teachers. Often, I'll get them back a day or two after they take them, unless a lot of students were absent and still need to take the test.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

update #2 - I watched a couple of episodes of B5 and then some of the Pistons game and all of my tests are now checked. I'll probably watch Carnivale at midnight or wait and watch it with HBO On Demand. I started reading Gregor: the Prophecy of Bane earlier tonight and will probably read that for the next hour or so. I imagine that I'll finish it tomorrow since it isn't that long of a book.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

not watching the oscars?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:not watching the oscars?
I actually forgot that they were on. I guess I'll go flip on and watch the end
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
Psychotic_Carp wrote:not watching the oscars?
I actually forgot that they were on. I guess I'll go flip on and watch the end
Well Million Dollar Baby did beautifully!
..and now we've just crossed threads...how wierd is that?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I'm almost finished with a book called Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen. She writes medical horror books which fall more into horror than medicine.
She's from Maine, which makes me wonder what's in the water up there.
I have about 70 pages to go which I'm putting off because I have a tendency to blow off everything and just read.
I've realised that I much prefer fantasy to these types of books because they put me in a world which stimulates my imagination threefold. On my next book search I'm going to try to only do a fantasy sci fi run!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I'm almost finished with a book called Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen. She writes medical horror books which fall more into horror than medicine.
She's from Maine, which makes me wonder what's in the water up there.
I have about 70 pages to go which I'm putting off because I have a tendency to blow off everything and just read.
I've realised that I much prefer fantasy to these types of books because they put me in a world which stimulates my imagination threefold. On my next book search I'm going to try to only do a fantasy sci fi run!
I've heard of Tess Gerritsen, but have never read any of her books. I finished reading Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, the second book in a series about a boy who goes into the Underland, a world under New York City with human size (or bigger) rats, spider, bats, cockroaches and other animals. all of these species are intelligent and have their own kingdoms. There are also people down there who have a kingdom that has been around for hundreds of years.

I will probably start Moonrise by Terri Farley, the 14th book (I think) in her Phantom Stallion series. After that, I'll probably read Zero Game by Brad Meltzer and Schism by Catherine Asaro, part of her Skolian Empire series.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

So between Tamora Pierce, Terri Farley and Catherine Azaro are there any other authors you'd recommend. I'm gearing more for fantasy at this point.