Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I stayed up late tonight to finish Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It was recommended by a friend and I loved it. I've read other recommendations for it over the past couple of weeks as well. The book is about a girl who moves back to Washington to live with her dad in a small town called Forks. She finds herself attracted to a boy in school who turns out to be a vampire. It is very well written and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished reading Escape from Castle Cant by KP Bath. This is the second book in a series that takes place in a very small country which is mostly isolated from the rest of the world. The only modern amenity they have is chewing gum, which has led to a rebellion against the nobles, who are generally addicted to the stuff. There is a fair amount of humor along with the action, which centers around two sisters - Lucy Wickwright and Pauline Cant. I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the series continuing.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Thank you for the list Kurt! I've read several of the books on there and I was wondering, since you mentioned the library, why you aren't giving all of them to them?

At the moment I'm reading The Wishsong of Shannara, which is a follow up to the Sword and Elfstones of Shannara.

Would you be agreeable to me sending books to you ( Books that I purchase on ebay) and then paying you for the shipping down here? The reason I'm asking is I really want to get the whole Pern series which is some serious bookage.

In the meantiime I'll get to the list this week Kurt and let you know which of those I''m interested in.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:Thank you for the list Kurt! I've read several of the books on there and I was wondering, since you mentioned the library, why you aren't giving all of them to them?

Would you be agreeable to me sending books to you ( Books that I purchase on ebay) and then paying you for the shipping down here? The reason I'm asking is I really want to get the whole Pern series which is some serious bookage.
The library I mentioned is a personal library I maintain in my classroom, not the school's library or anything like that. I could get a few books from there and then replenish them.

I have no problem with you sending books to me that you win and then holding on to them until you are ready for me to ship them to you. Just send me a message when you do this so I know to expect a package.

I have extras of some of a few of the Pern books. Which ones do you already have? The next really big library book sale is at the end of January. If there are other books or series you want, you could send me a want list and I can try to fill it.

I'm going to send you a list of the other books I have in my basement that I plan to get rid of. It is a little bit out of date since I sold some of the ARCs and a few of the other books on ebay already. Just note any that you want and I'll see if I still have them. There might be some I'd want to hold on to for ebay purposes or would sell for a small amount, but most you could have basically for free.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I sent you a PM but all I can say is Wow, thanks.
Fluff
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I read The Secret of Dragonhome by John Peel over the last two days. I liked it a lot and hope that Peel writes a sequel some day. It takes place on a world where some people are born with 'talents' such as levitation, communication with animals, firestarting and more. They are hunted down as children and forced to join the army and fight (and die) for their king in wars against neighboring kingdoms. Melayne and her brother Sarrow are trying to avoid being captured after the death of their parents when they arrive at the mysterious castle, Dragonhome.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I stayed up late last night (till 3am) to almost finish New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. I got tired and ended up finishing it after I got up in the morning. This was the sequel to Twilight, which I read a week ago. The book picks up about 6 months after Twilight and has quite a few twists and turns the saga of a girl and her vampire. The book is very well written and I found it hard to put down. I loved this as much as the first book and am looking forward to the third book next year.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I read The Floating Island, which is the first book in Elizabeth Haydon's new series - The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme. I liked the book a lot and am looking forward to the second book next June. It takes place on a world with many races - humans, Nain, Lirin, and many others, including races under the sea. Ven is a nain, a race that normally lives underground and doesn't like the sea. His family builds ships, however, and Ven feels the call of the sea. On his 50th birthday (which is the human equivalent of around 13), he sets sail on an inspection cruise for a ship his family just completed. It gets attacked by pirates and then his adventure begins. Good stuff.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished reading Throne of Jade, the second book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. I thought the book was very good and also much different than the first book since it focuses more on political intrigue than military action. This book takes place during the Napoleonic Era, but with dragons. The Chinese send an envoy to England in an attempt to reclaim Temeraire. Temeraire and Laurence are sent to China to settle the dispute.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Black Powder War, the third book in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. This book saw the return from China, with stops in Istanbul as 'guests' of the Sultan and in Prussia where Napoleon's armies are about to invade. I enjoyed this book just as much as the other two and now have a long wait for the fourth book.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I read Abadazad vol. 1 and 2, which are novelizations of the Crossgen comic book. They also include most of the original comic books in addition to the text. The story centers around a 14 year old girl whose little brother disappeared 5 years ago. She finds out that he may be alive in Abadazad, a magical world along the lines of Oz. I enjoyed both books and am looking forward to the third one.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished reading Crystal Doors by Rebecca Moesta and Kevin J. Anderson. It is the first book in their new series about Gwen and Vic Pierce who are 'twin cousins'. Their fathers were identical twins, their mothers were sisters and they were born several hours apart on the same day. Gwen and Vic have lived together since Gwen's parents were killed and Vic's mother mysteriously disappeared. They cross over to another world through a crystal doorway and discover that there is more to their heritage than they supposed. I found the book to be a pretty quick, enjoyable read and am looking forward to the second book next spring.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

How much do you remember from these books?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:How much do you remember from these books?
Quite a bit, though not necessarily every little detail. If I started to read it again in the future, much of it would come back. I don't reread too many books, but will reread some of my favorites on occasion.

I finished reading Crispin: at the Edge of the World by Avi. This is the sequel to Avi's Newberry Medal winner, Crispin: The Cross of Lead. This book sees Crispin and Bear on the road, trying to get away from men who think Bear is a traitor. The book takes place in 1377 and is good, if not quite as good as the first book in the series. I've enjoyed many of Avi's books as they tend to be interesting and fairly quick to read.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I can try to add a reviews module to the main site if you want to use that? More people might see the reviews