Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:210:
1539 - Reason Over Passion (1969) - 2/10 - This was pretty dumb and impenetrable.

:710:
1540 - The Boy and the Heron (2023) - 7/10 - While I liked Miyazaki's latest film, it was also a slight disappointment. I liked it, but not as much as I expected, though perhaps expectations are part of the problem. I thought the pace was too slow and the story seemed to lack a bit of the spark that most Ghibli films have. I may like it more when I eventually rewatch it. I took my mom to see the subtitled version in the theater and there were four people in the audience, including us. I introduced her to a few Ghibli films earlier in the year, including Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro. I think she liked this one more than I did.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:810:
1541 - The Karski Report (2010) - 7.5/10 - Jan Karski was a member of the Polish resistance who was sent on a mission to inform allied leaders about what was happening in the Jewish ghetto. He met with FDR and other leaders, but they couldn't comprehend or believe what he was telling them. This was from the second day of interviews that Karski had with Claude Lanzmann for Shoah, but was kept out of Shoah for various reasons.

:510:
1542 - A Visitor from the Living (1999) - 5/10 - This interview is another outtake from Shoah. However, the subject here is with a Swiss man who worked with the Red Cross during WWII and who gave a positive review of the 'model' ghetto that he was shown. The person being interviewed seemed somewhat disingenuous and also has a voice which makes me want to tune out or go to sleep as he drones on. Lanzmann doesn't appear to be particularly happy with the man's answers to his questions and it doesn't really make for a very good film.

:7510:
1543 - Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. (2001) - 7.5/10 - This is yet another film that came out of the Shoah interviews. In this one, a man who took part in the uprising at the Sobibor camp in 1943 is interviewed about what happened. The man had escaped from other camps previously and he describes how he came to be in the camp and what his part in the uprising was. It's a pretty interesting story. Lanzmann uses the technique that he used in parts of Shoah where the translator repeats his questions to the person being interviewed and then repeats the answers back to Lanzmann. It makes sense, but does stretch out the film more than was perhaps necessary.

1544 - Breaker! Breaker! (1977) - 5/10 - A young truck driver on his first solo job gets lured into a trap by a corrupt judge and his followers in a remote desert town. His brother (Chuck Norris) goes off in search of him when he goes missing and the brother wreaks havoc in the town. The story was pretty dumb and the acting was bad, but at least it wasn't dull.

1545 - Ashes and Snow (2005) - 7.5/10 - The imagery was very nice and I liked the music, too. The film had a meditative quality through much of it.

:5510:
1546 - Huie's Sermon (1981) - 5.5/10 - Herzog films a Brooklyn preacher who starts slow, but really gets going after a bit. Not my thing, but kind of interesting.

1547 - Ydessa, the Bears and etc. (2004) - 7/10 - Varda learned about a woman who had an art installation filled with photographs of people with teddy bears. Varda then flew to Toronto to interview the woman and find out what her story was and the process she used. This was more interesting than I expected and the photographs are cool as well.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1548 - Essential Killing (2010) - 7.5/10 - A Taliban fighter is captured and taken to Poland. He escapes during an accident and fights to survive in the Polish countryside during winter. He never speaks a word, though we get brief flashbacks to his life in Afghanistan. The film humanizes him somewhat, though doesn't condone his actions.

1549 - Love and Death (1975) - 8/10 - Woody Allen plays Boris, a Russian peasant in the early 1800s who gets roped into being a soldier in the fight against Napoleon and inadvertently becomes a hero. The woman he loves doesn't love him back and gets him involved in a dangerous plot. I liked the first half of the film more than the second half, but overall it is still a nice film with plenty of Allen's brand of humor.

:8510:
1550 - Black Rain / Kuroi ame (1989) - 8.5/10 - The film starts just before the atomic bomb is dropped on Hiroshima and deals with both the immediate aftermath and 5 years later as people are still dealing with the effects of the blast. It's fairly bleak, but good.

1551 - 'Non', ou A Vã Glória de Mandar (1990) - 7/10 - A group of Portuguese soldiers are being transported through a Portuguese colony during the early 1970s so that they can suppress the native forces who are rebelling. They get into a discussion about a number of Portuguese defeats throughout history and these are shown in flashback. It was okay.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:410:
1552 - Redacted (2007) - 4/10 - A small group of American soldiers in Iraq decide to pay a nighttime visit to an Iraqi family where they rape the teenage daughter and kill the whole family. The film is a fictionalized story based on a real incident and is filmed in large part as if it were part of a documentary with an embedded French journalist. I didn't care for this one very much.

1553 - The King's Choice (2016) - 8/10 - In 1940, Germany invades Norway and the king had to decide whether or not to capitulate to the Germans or resist. Jesper Christensen is really good as King Haakon VII and it's a fairly solid drama.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1554 - The Pigeon Tunnel (2023) - 5.5/10 - Errol Morris interviews David Cornwell (aka John Le Carre) about his life. Cornwell seems to have lived a pretty interesting life, but is a very dull interviewee.

:610:
1555 - Enthusiasm (1930) - 6/10 - This early sound documentary is about coal miners in the Donbass and quotas they have to meet. It is good visually after a slow start, but otherwise didn't do much for me.

1556 - Alvorada: Brazil's Changing Face (1962) - 8/10 - This West German documentary gives an overview of life in Brazil, told mostly in a visual manner with occasional narration and music. The images and editing are pretty good. It was nominated for an Academy Award.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:6510:
1557 - Stronger than Arms (2014) - 6.5/10 - The film consists of footage of the Revolution of Dignity in Ukraine. It seems like a really long news broadcast without full context or direction. Interesting, but not as much as it should have been.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1558 - 1/3 des yeux (2004) - 5/10 - A mix of people and topics, most of which aren't all that interesting.

1559 - Urgences (1988) - 6.5/10 - A look at some of the patients in the psychiatric ward of a large French hospital. The film reminded me some of Wiseman, thought the fly on the wall aspect was occasionally broken as the people interacted briefly with the people behind the camera.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1560 - Le pays des sourds / In the Land of the Deaf (1992) - 8/10 - This is a very nice documentary about a variety of deaf children and adults. The children are part of a class for the deaf who go on occasional field trips in addition to their classroom work. The adults talk about their experiences with family and growing up deaf and we also get to see them in parts of their regular lives.

1561 - Le Regne du Jour / The Times That Are (1967) - 6.5/10 - An elderly French Canadian couple travels to France to visit the area where the husband's ancestors used to live. The film shows part of their trip interspersed with them talking to their friends about the trip after they've come back home.

1562 - The Lion Hunters (1966) - 7/10 - A tribe prepares itself for a traditional bow and arrow hunt for a lion that is a danger to the tribe. The creation of the arrows and arrowheads is shown which is pretty interesting. We also get to see many other traditional parts leading up to the hunt and then the hunt itself.

1563 - From the Other Side / De l'autre côté (2002) - 6/10 - This takes a look at the fate of some Mexicans who crossed the border to go to the United States. Relatives of people who crossed are interviewed along with people who crossed and returned. People on the American side are also interviewed. Crossing over to the U.S. often seems not to have a happy outcome. There is a lot of time where no talking is going on and the camera just rolls on whatever is going on in that area.

1564 - A Day in New York 1882 (2021) - 8/10 - Historians discuss a variety of aspects about New York City in 1882 interspersed with a story of a young German immigrant who serves as a lawyer. The immigrant's story is a jumping off point for looking into the life of immigrants, corruption, housing, parks, and more. It's an interesting approach that works pretty well.

:4510:
1565 - Mediterranee (1963) - 4.5/10 - An experimental documentary that is kind of odd and only occasionally interesting.

1566 - King Carnival (1973) - 8/10 - A look at the Trinidad and Tobago Carnival, delving into its history as well as showing plenty of action from the 1973 Carnival. The costumes and music are pretty cool and I enjoyed this informative and entertaining doc.

1567 - Snowy Owls | Why Is It The Most Skilled Arctic Predator? (2023) - 6.5/10 - Unsurprisingly, this film deals with snowy owls and their lives. It was okay. Nice visuals, though the narrator was a bit boring.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1568 - Primary (1960) - 7/10 - The film follows JFK and Hubert Humphrey as they try to gain the Democratic nomination for President in 1960. It's an interesting look at the time.

1569 - The Madoff Affair (2009) - 6.5/10 - This documentary looks into Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme that defrauded investors of billions of dollars. I remember when this was big news back in the day, though it didn't affect me directly.

1570 - A Married Couple (1969) - 6.5/10 - Their marriage was failing so of course Billy and Antoinette Edwards agreed to have cameras set up in their home for 10 weeks to capture their daily lives. There is a lot of bickering and arguing without much in the way of love. The film is okay, but kind of unpleasant to watch at times. I think Billy came off looking worse here, especially from a modern perspective.

1571 - Silicon Cowboys (2016) - 7.5/10 - The film follows the rise of Compaq in the 1980s into a power in the computing industry as they took on IBM. The film uses a mix of interviews and archival footage. The company had a lot of success, though ran into a number of problems at different points and eventually started to decline with the 1990s being tough on the company. I remember this era fairly well and used a variety of different computers while in school. We had an Commodore 64s and Vic-20s in Junior High (1982-1984). We had TRS-80s, an IBM-PC, and Tandy-1000s (an IBM clone) in high school plus a Honeywell Level-62 which was used for our punchcard programs. We later got a Unix system and I used Compaqs at one of the other buildings in the district.

1572 - The Fall of the Romanov Dynasty (1927) - 6/10 - Archival footage was used to piece together a narrative about the end of the Romanovs. It was only mildly interesting.

1573 - For Liberty (1979) - 7/10 - The film shows the end of the Shah's reign in Iran through the turmoil that followed and the establishment of the Islamic Republic. There certainly were a lot of people out on the streets in various demonstrations.

1574 - Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song (2021) - 7.5/10 - I first became aware of Leonard Cohen's music back in the late 1980s and I liked what I heard. I was more of a casual fan than a dedicated one, but I did enjoy his music. This film takes a look at his career from when he first started singing on stage in the 1960s through his death in 2016. The heavy emphasis is on his best known song, Hallelujah. I've always preferred Cohen's version to the various cover versions which sold better, but my favorite Cohen song is actually Everybody Knows from his 1988 album (and later, the soundtrack to Pump Up the Volume).

1575 - The Big One (1997) - 7.5/10 - Michael Moore travels around the US on a book tour in support of his book, Downsize This. Along the way, he talks to workers who have lost their jobs due to profitable corporations that have moved operations to other countries to save money. Moore also pays visits to these companies and tries to see politicians. We also get excerpts from Moore speaking to a large audience, apparently doing a mix of stand up and talking about his book tour. It's fairly entertaining.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1576 - The Hour of the Furnaces (1968) - 7/10 - It's fairly well made for what it is, though I think it went on too long. I realize that it was originally shown in shorter pieces so that there could be discussion afterward.

1577 - Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2002) - 7.5/10 - This is really three parallel films that take place in a once prosperous industrial area. In the first part, the factories are closing down and the workers who haven't been laid off yet often have a lot of idle time. The second part deals with families that live in a rundown neighborhood that is scheduled for demolition. The families are supposed to be relocated to public housing and have been given a date where they have to be out of their old homes. A lot of time is spent with the teenagers who live there and face an uncertain future. The last part deals with a father and son who live illegally in the railroad yard and eke out a living collecting and selling scrap. The first section was okay, but I think it could have been shortened by about an hour without sacrificing anything important. It seemed kind of repetitive at times. The second section was easily my favorite of the three.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1578 - Fires on the Plain (1959) - 7.5/10 - A Japanese soldier with TB is abandoned by his company and left to wander alone in the Philippines near the end of WWII. The film is pretty bleak and meanders at times, but overall is pretty good.

1579 - Train of Life (1998) - 7/10 - The residents of a Jewish village in Eastern Europe create their own deportation train as a way to escape from the advancing Nazis and escape to the Soviet Union and Palestine. Kind of silly at times, but not bad.

1580 - The Report (1977) - 6/10 - A man who works in the finance ministry is having problems at work after being accused of taking bribes. His marriage is falling apart since he seems to have little regard for his wife and young daughter. The main character isn't very likable and the film itself is okay, but kind of dull.

1581 - Bitter Berry / Gorkaya yagoda (1975) - 7.5/10 - A nice tale of adolescent relationships one summer in Uzbekistan. I think that I might have liked it even more with proper English subtitles. Hopefully those show up some day.

New Earth (1933) (29 minutes)
North Sea (1938) (30 minutes)
The Plow That Broke the Plains (1936) (30 minutes)
The Mad Masters (1955) (28 minutes)

Statues Also Die (1953) (30 minutes)
The River (1938) (31 minutes)
Toss Me a Dime (1958) (32 minutes)
Anything Can Happen (1995) (39 minutes)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1582 - Davandeh (1984) - 7.5/10 - An orphan boy survives on the streets by collecting bottles from the sea, shining shoes, and other jobs. He sometimes hangs out with a group of boys and occasionally finds time for fun. The boy is also enthralled with planes. I thought it was pretty good.

1583 - The Circle / Dayereh (2000) - 8/10 - The film follows a number of intersecting stories of women who suffer repression in a number of ways in Iranian society. The birth of a daughter may lead to divorce, a woman just out of prison is ostracized by her family and threatened by her brothers, women can't do a number of things without a man. Bleak, but good.

1584 - The White Balloon / Badkonake sefid (1995) - 7/10 - A little girl is intent on getting a specific goldfish, even though there are others that she can have for free. While on her way to get the goldfish, she has a number of problems, including people who try to con the girl out of the money that her mother gave her.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Children of War (1976) (11 minutes)
Glimpse of the Garden (1957) (5 minutes)
I Am Somebody (1970) (30 minutes)
Pink Floyd London '66-'67 (1967) (30 minutes)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1 - Mars Attacks! (1996) - 7.5/10 - Sure, it's kind of dumb and way over the top, but it is also fun. I hadn't realized how many big names had roles in the film.

2 - Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - 7.5/10 - This is a nice cold war thriller where control of the nuclear arsenal of the U.S. is given over to a supercomputer named Colossus designed by Charles Forbin. It soon becomes apparent that not everything has gone as planned when Colossus and its counterpart in the Soviet Union use their respective nuclear weapons as the stick to have their demands met.

3 - Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924) - 5/10 - An engineer whose dream has been to travel to Mars has to deal with marital issues and also a mysterious message that may have originated from Mars. It's pretty dull for the most part.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:410:
4 - Liquid Sky (1982) - 4/10 - The visuals were kind of interesting to look at, but the story and characters didn't do much for me.

5 - Transatlantic Tunnel (1935) - 5.5/10 - A melodrama about the building of a tunnel connecting the United States to the United Kingdom. It is fraught with danger for the people building the tunnel. There are also delays and cost overruns. The engineer who conceived of the plan and oversees the projects makes a number of personal sacrifices as well. This seems like a film that I would enjoy quite a bit, but it came across as fairly dull, though there were a few interesting things here and there, though generally not connected directly with the plot.

6 - The Damned (1962) - 7/10 - A young woman expresses some interest in an older American tourist, but her violent brother jealously guards her from the attention of others. The story shifts midway through as they end up on a remote island where a group of children are being held by the government.

7 - Cinderella (1947) - 7/10 - The Soviet version of the classic fairytale is pretty good.

8 - The House on Trubnaya (1928) - 6.5/10 - A young woman named Parasha leaves the country to work in the city. She gets hired as a maid in an eccentric apartment building. She also becomes acquainted with the union. There are some funny scenes and I liked the main actress

9 - The Overcoat (1926) - 5/10 - The film adapts two stories by Gogol. The visuals were decent, but the stories didn't really appeal to me.

10 - Dolgaya schastlivaya zhizn (1966) - 6/10 - A man falls for a woman that he meets on a bus and starts to romance her, even though she is married. Things don't go exactly as he planned. The main characters are fairly dull.

11 - Mashenka (1942) - 7.5/10 - A nursing student falls in love with a taxi driver, but he isn't sure if he feels exactly the same way for her. Then war breaks out. I liked Valentina Karavayeva as Masha and the movie was pretty entertaining.