hows your day going ?

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

fluffy wrote:I'm glad you're okay , Lorene, that's what's important!
Thanks! Now I just have to 'heal up' in time for the NIN concert next week :wink:
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Starfire wrote: Thanks! Now I just have to 'heal up' in time for the NIN concert next week :wink:
feeling any better yet?
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:feeling any better yet?
Why thank you - I actually felt better as soon as the operation was over. Now I just need to 'seal' properly... I don't need any rippage when I'm jumping up and down and yelling at Trent Reznor :wink:
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Starfire wrote:
Psychotic_Carp wrote:feeling any better yet?
Why thank you - I actually felt better as soon as the operation was over. Now I just need to 'seal' properly... I don't need any rippage when I'm jumping up and down and yelling at Trent Reznor :wink:
I hope you enjoy the concert. The next concert I'm going to is Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Dec. 9th. A little different than NIN, I'd say.
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

kurt culler wrote:The next concert I'm going to is Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Dec. 9th. A little different than NIN, I'd say.
Very different! I'd enjoy that concert too.

Just not as much :P
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I had conferences tonight and they flew by. I saw parents of 59 kids - 30 in the afternoon session and 29 at night - very busy indeed. There was one lad that was kind of scary, but otherwise I like meeting the parents.
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

Rusty wrote:but otherwise I like meeting the parents.
It's quite nice to hear that you like meeting the parents.

My kid is naturally... outgoing and verbal.... and I never know how the teacher is going to take to her. Either they love her or they hate her. Although the teachers that dislike her are generally the ones who have problems controlling their classrooms - which she will immediately take advantage of. :lol:
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Starfire wrote:
Rusty wrote:but otherwise I like meeting the parents.
It's quite nice to hear that you like meeting the parents.

My kid is naturally... outgoing and verbal.... and I never know how the teacher is going to take to her. Either they love her or they hate her. Although the teachers that dislike her are generally the ones who have problems controlling their classrooms - which she will immediately take advantage of. :lol:
I have pretty good classroom discipline and get along with most of my students. I usually stay after school for an hour or so to help students who need extra attention with their homework or other assignments. There are a few students that I dislike, mostly because of the way they act and their lack of self control. There was one parent who was almost scary, though. She was very intense and seemed to have trouble accurately comprehending explanations for her daughter's grade and suggestions to improve it.
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

Rusty wrote:I have pretty good classroom discipline and get along with most of my students. I usually stay after school for an hour or so to help students who need extra attention with their homework or other assignments. There are a few students that I dislike, mostly because of the way they act and their lack of self control. There was one parent who was almost scary, though. She was very intense and seemed to have trouble accurately comprehending explanations for her daughter's grade and suggestions to improve it.
My daughter is an only child and she's use to having all of our attention. School for her has always been social first and then academic (although her grades are excellent). She's only in Grade 6 but it took her up to last year (and an excellent teacher) to develop a bit of impulse control and realize that she's not the only person in the room.

On the plus side, her teachers figure she's either going to be a lawyer or an actress. And the vice principal told me not to worry about the boys because apparently my cute little girl just stares back and says "What are YOU looking at?".

Self esteem... it's a good thing.

As for your scary parent - does that tend to make you more empathetic to the child? I admire your profession a great deal. I do a lot with adult eduction in my job (training, mentoring, coaching, monitoring) and I struggle with being understanding with adult students. A room full if impressionable kids? I'd wreck 'em. :D
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Starfire wrote:
As for your scary parent - does that tend to make you more empathetic to the child? I admire your profession a great deal. I do a lot with adult eduction in my job (training, mentoring, coaching, monitoring) and I struggle with being understanding with adult students. A room full if impressionable kids? I'd wreck 'em. :D
The daughter has had her own problems with being tardy to first hour (my class), not completing her assignments on time, having a few missing assignments. She's gotten better about it as the school year has progressed, though she still lapses somewhat. She is so much nicer than the parent, though. The mother practically had the girl in tears after one meeting we had a month or so ago. I've had a few other parents in that category in year's past, but thankfully most are pretty reasonable

The kids who are social, but do their work and generally have a good attitude can be annoying, but I still usually like them anyway. It is the ones who don't do their work, or who do their work and have a poor attitude, show a lack of respect for authority, etc. that piss me off.
Starfire
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by Starfire »

Rusty wrote:The daughter has had her own problems with being tardy to first hour (my class), not completing her assignments on time, having a few missing assignments. She's gotten better about it as the school year has progressed, though she still lapses somewhat. She is so much nicer than the parent, though. The mother practically had the girl in tears after one meeting we had a month or so ago. I've had a few other parents in that category in year's past, but thankfully most are pretty reasonable

The kids who are social, but do their work and generally have a good attitude can be annoying, but I still usually like them anyway. It is the ones who don't do their work, or who do their work and have a poor attitude, show a lack of respect for authority, etc. that piss me off.
It is so sad that you have to work around the parent to help the child.

In my line of work I see a whole lot of overbearing parents trying to 'fix' things for their kids (not making them face the consequences of their actions) or who just straight out run their kids' lives. I like to think I've learned a lot about how I don't want to act as my daughter gets older.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Well today kind of sucked. I decided to go ahead and go to our inservice today since a friend reminded me it was about diversity and might look bad if I didn't go. The speaker was the same guy we had last March who was okay. I should have taken the day off as planned. He did pretty much the same thing as last time, but we had much less interest in it. I decided to leave at lunch time and take a 1/2 day off my personal days. We get 10 each year and I only use a couple each year - 1 to go to Cedar Point in May and others to take inservice days off from time to time.

I went over my comic order in the afternoon (that was the bright spot) and played around with the online gradebook program that our school provides called Zangle. I use a spreadsheet for my grades, but everyone has to start using the online gradebook next semester so I thought I'd get an early start. It actually wasn't too bad once I got used to it. I spent about two hours on that.

The bad news came later in the evening. My dog, Gunnar, started having growths early this year and had some removed in March and again in September. I noticed a week or two ago that the growths had returned on many parts of his body. I took him to my parents house on Saturday since he needed to get groomed this week and my mom took him to the vet today. Apparently he also has a large mass on his abdomen and they don't expect him to live more than 2-3 more months. His appetite has been good and he doesn't seem to be in any pain so he is okay for now. However, his situation could start to deteriorate at any time and it looks like we might have to decide when to put him to sleep soon after the holidays. He's 13 1/2 years old so he's had a decent life, but small dogs can live even longer than that. I hope he stays healthy enough as long as possible, but it sucks that he doesn't have much longer.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

sorry to hear sir :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Today wasn't too bad, though it is raining something fierce outside now. In addition to the other fun stuff yesterday, one of the springs on my garage door broke yesterday so I can't get my garage door up. I have to get the springs replaced and the company I'm getting them from is sending somewhat out Thursday morning to try and put a temporary fix on it while they order the parts I need. I picked up 2 volumes of Monk from the library and plan to watch them over the next couple of days.