hows your day going ?

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
Well, my brother wanted to be near his kids, so he moved to Dearborn and I live in Eastpointe, so ...
jackass!
and proud of it :twisted:
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
Well, my brother wanted to be near his kids, so he moved to Dearborn and I live in Eastpointe, so ...

wait, you meant what brought on the store. sorry. :twisted:

Basically, the store has been bleeding money for some time. There are a number of reasons for that, which include:

1) The comic market has been shrinking for many years and has taken comic shops along with it

2) Our owner used to drink heavily and this began to make the days he worked (Friday and Sunday) somewhat of a dead zone where our sales were down. He was hospitalized in November due to liver problems and hasn't been much of a factor lately, but he put some of his own money into the store to keep it going

3) The people who run the shop are perhaps not the best equipped to do so. They haven't adapted with the times to well and have cut orders to try and keep the bills down, though this has the effect of not allowing for growth either.

4) There are a lot of other miscellaneous things as well.

I hope we got a buyer, make some changes and survive
Well aren't you a smart ass! :P

I really hope that you get a buyer, make some changes and survive too.
I would think the comic market would be a little better at the moment due to all the films that are comic book based.
I live in a dream world though where I presume everyone reads comics as much as I do.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
Well aren't you a smart ass! :P

The rest of me is pretty smart too :P

I really hope that you get a buyer, make some changes and survive too.
I would think the comic market would be a little better at the moment due to all the films that are comic book based.
I live in a dream world though where I presume everyone reads comics as much as I do.
I read tons of comics. There may be some hope, though. I see a growing number of students who read manga. One change that the other employees seemed reluctant to do, was to cater more to the manga crowd and keep quite a few in stock as well as variety. Chris and I were both pushing for this. Also, I wanted to keep the DC Archive and trade paperback sections stocked since they seemed to do fairly well, but many of these items became special order only once they were out of stock. Hard to have an impulse buy if you have to order it and wait a week.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

kurt culler wrote:
I read tons of comics. There may be some hope, though. I see a growing number of students who read manga. One change that the other employees seemed reluctant to do, was to cater more to the manga crowd and keep quite a few in stock as well as variety. Chris and I were both pushing for this. Also, I wanted to keep the DC Archive and trade paperback sections stocked since they seemed to do fairly well, but many of these items became special order only once they were out of stock. Hard to have an impulse buy if you have to order it and wait a week.
didnt you say change was bad for them? :P
megan kenny
Been Posting a Bit
Been Posting a Bit

Post by megan kenny »

good day at school , but really cold
jennifer stambersky
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by jennifer stambersky »

megan kenny wrote:good day at school , but really cold
did your school do anything for valentines day??
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
didnt you say change was bad for them? :P
Yeah, I don't think they handle change well
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

It was very wet and drizzly on the way to school this morning, but didn't feel too bad when I left. The school day went pretty well, though tomorrow should be even better since I'm giving tests in 3 of my classes. Of course, that means I'll need to check them, but that's another story.

And we get all of next week off...
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote: Yeah, I don't think they handle change well
Well are they old? Because usually only people over 50 don't handle change well.
Manga is all the rage right now ( even though I don't read much I know you do)
Everyone I know 20 and under love it.
I just hope you get some fresh owner who would be well disposed to keep you on as staff.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
It was very wet and drizzly on the way to school this morning, but didn't feel too bad when I left. The school day went pretty well, though tomorrow should be even better since I'm giving tests in 3 of my classes. Of course, that means I'll need to check them, but that's another story.

And we get all of next week off...
Well all of you can eat your hearts out on this day because I actually played tennis an hour and it was really HOT! :P
Living here does have that benefit
even though we don't have bookstores and we get movies months late....
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote: Yeah, I don't think they handle change well
Well are they old? Because usually only people over 50 don't handle change well.
Manga is all the rage right now ( even though I don't read much I know you do)
Everyone I know 20 and under love it.
I just hope you get some fresh owner who would be well disposed to keep you on as staff.
One is 58 and the other is 49 and they don't seme to like change much. They just seem to want to hold on to what they have in the store while it slowly erodes away. Embracing manga and making a few other changes could encourage growth. There might be some risk at first, but something needs to be done.

I would like to stay on in the same or a similar capacity. One thing that has helped our bottom line is the ccg department - magic, yugioh, pokemon. It gives the little extra that helps us stay afloat, though it might do better with somebody who is there full time and can handle it, rather than just me once a week. None of the others have much interest in the section. I don't play myself, but at least I know enough to keep it going and make a profit.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote: Well all of you can eat your hearts out on this day because I actually played tennis an hour and it was really HOT! :P
Living here does have that benefit
even though we don't have bookstores and we get movies months late....
Well, if you're up here during the summer at all, maybe we can play a match. The weather seemed downright balmy when i got out of school today. It must have been close to 50 degrees. :?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote:
Well, if you're up here during the summer at all, maybe we can play a match. The weather seemed downright balmy when i got out of school today. It must have been close to 50 degrees. :?
Oh but I beat that felt good, that balmy weather.

That would be really fun. Last summer I drove all over the states and the day I drove into Neenah, Wisc. my brother called up and asked me to play. I told him I'd been sitting in a car for three weeks and he said that's what he hoped would give him the edge. He beat me 6/0 6/1...the meanie. 8)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
kurt culler wrote:
Oh but I beat that felt good, that balmy weather.

That would be really fun. Last summer I drove all over the states and the day I drove into Neenah, Wisc. my brother called up and asked me to play. I told him I'd been sitting in a car for three weeks and he said that's what he hoped would give him the edge. He beat me 6/0 6/1...the meanie. 8)
excuses excuses :P
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

kurt culler wrote: excuses excuses :P
Oh man ....what a tease!
You sound just like my brother. :P
Well sorta.