Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

147 - Easy Rider - 7/10 - Two bikers are on their way to Mardi Gras in New Orleans with the proceeds from a drug sale. They encounter hitchhikers, hippies, rednecks, and other aspects of America in the late 60s. The visuals and soundtrack were excellent, but I didn't really care for the story that much. There were parts of it that were good and I suppose it did capture the era, but it didn't appeal to me as a whole.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

148 - Gold Rush - 1942 - 7.5/10
149 - Gold Rush - 1925 - 8/10 - The tramp goes to the Klondike during the gold rush and encounters various hardships. Plenty of comedic moments, including eating his shoe to avoid starvation. I slightly preferred the 1925 silent version over the narrated 1942 version.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

150 - Nashville - 6/10 - This movie documents the days leading up to a political convention featuring the Replacement Party Presidential candidate who wants to make quite a few changes, including changing the national anthem. The music was generally decent and the ending was pretty good, but I found it hard to become engaged with the rest of the movie. It is very artfully shot, but I just couldn't get interested in any of the characters or their stories.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

151 - The African Queen - 7/10 - A trader on a riverboat gets a missionary woman as a passenger when her village is destroyed at the outbreak of World War I. They travel down the river and start falling for each other. I thought the first part of the movie was pretty boring, but it got better as it went along and I liked the ending. I've never been much of a Katharine Hepburn or Humphrey Bogart fan, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

152 - The Deer Hunter - 7/10 - The story of three friends and how they are affected by the Vietnam War. I would have rated the movie higher, except I didn't really care for the first hour of the picture. It does set up the relationships of the men before they join the army, but I found it to be pretty boring. The picture is over 3 hours as it is and would have been fine at 2.5 hours or less if they had cut down the first section of the film.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I heard it was a really screwed up film?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:I heard it was a really screwed up film?
Lots of Russian roulette and stuff. It got a lot better once they actually got to Vietnam. The first hour kind of sucked, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

153 - 1408 - 8.5/10 - A writer who makes his living visiting and writing about haunted hotels and other haunted locales finally locates a genuinely scary place - room 1408 of the Dolphin Hotel where he has to confront his own past and fears. I'm not a big fan of scary movies, but I liked this movie quite a bit. Some people might find it to be fairly predictable, but I thought it was very entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

154 - Evan Almighty - 7/10 - Evan Baxter goes to Washington and God tells him to build an ark. This movie is not in the same class as Bruce Almighty and is pretty simple and straightforward, but I was still very entertained. Don't watch it expecting a great film, but just watch it to have fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

155 - Surf's Up - 7.5/10 - A young penguin travels from Antarctica to Pen-Gu Island for a surfing competition in honor of his idol, Big Z, who died 10 years earlier. I thought the movie was a lot of fun. Lots of cool (animated) surfing and oddball humor.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

156 - It Happened One Night - 10/10 - A wealthy heiress (Claudette Colbert) escapes from her father and tries to get to New York while he has a lot of detectives looking for her. She meets a newspaper reporter (Clark Gable) who helps her along the way and they fall for each other. I think this is the first Gable movie I've seen other than Gone With the Wind. It was hilarious and worthy of the five Oscars it won.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

157 - Yankee Doodle Dandy - 8.5/10 - The story of George M. Cohan, one of Broadway's biggest stars. Cohan wrote the World War I anthem "Over There" and many other hit songs, including "You're a Grand Old Flag" and "Give My Regards to Broadway". I thought the movie started a bit slow, but got much better as it went along. Very nice songs and lots of humor.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

the one with james cagney? I have never seen it but ive seen a scen from it over and over again and now its in my head again :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:the one with james cagney? I have never seen it but ive seen a scen from it over and over again and now its in my head again :(
Yeah. Cagney was pretty impressive.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

158 - August Rush - 7.5/10 - The story of a boy who grows up in an orphanage and tries to find his parents through the music that he plays. It was kind of predictable, but I really liked the music and I had a good time watching the movie.

I was going to see Beowulf today as well, but that got postponed.