Images on other web boards.

This forum is to jibber and jabber
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Images on other web boards.

Post by fluffy »

This is just a little rant. I fully understand why people say it's Not Safe for Work for people to post nudity in threads. But yesterday I was minding my own business in a movie review thread and I ran into a picture someone had posted of a guy throwing up. Which totally grossed me out and seems to me that it's just as obnoxious. People also have signatures with heads blowing up.

I guess what confuses me is that nudity is wrong but violence and obscenely gross stuff is okay?
Your thoughts on this please?
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

it seems that, in america it is that way. We dont seem to be able to grow up enough to understand nudity is ok, and out movies have sorta desensitized us to the violence :(
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:it seems that, in america it is that way. We dont seem to be able to grow up enough to understand nudity is ok, and out movies have sorta desensitized us to the violence :(
But I see the same movies, I think. I can't believe Americans can be that be desensitized.
I'm not sure it's cultural at all, because Europeans do it too.
I feel better today about it, probably because I have not run into any gross pictures. :P
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

i dont know, things are kinda weird here. Its ok for a guy to kill someone with a phaser and watch him die a painful agonizing death but shoot him with a gun and watch him die quicly in a prime time cop show, cant have that :x

and i think we have become kinda decensitized to the violence, mostly because of our news not just the movies.... maybe its just detroit?
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:i dont know, things are kinda weird here. Its ok for a guy to kill someone with a phaser and watch him die a painful agonizing death but shoot him with a gun and watch him die quicly in a prime time cop show, cant have that :x

and i think we have become kinda decensitized to the violence, mostly because of our news not just the movies.... maybe its just detroit?
Well one thing that may make a difference for me is that I don't play any video games so I don't see people's heads blowing up on a regular basis.
I really don't think Detroit is any worse than any city, either.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

fluffy wrote:
Well one thing that may make a difference for me is that I don't play any video games so I don't see people's heads blowing up on a regular basis.I really don't think Detroit is any worse than any city, either.

i do :P

http://detroit.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm <--2002
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Well then do you think video games desensitizes people?
Did you do a comparison with Detroits stats and NYC stats? Just curious.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

fluffy wrote:Well then do you think video games desensitizes people?
Did you do a comparison with Detroits stats and NYC stats? Just curious.

games may do it but i dont think games make people go kill people

http://www.theinsider.com/nyc/survive/011crime.htm

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm <---detroit is #2

the above may have been taken at different years
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I wasn't talking about what makes people shoot people, I was talking about the idea of what is visually acceptable to slap on a web board . For me, violent pictures affect me deeply.
That's why I was wondering if maybe video games could somehow harden your eyes.

Am I making sense?

If anything I may be more of the mind that video games help prevent people from real violence. I think the idea of trying to blame them for violence is a stupid one.

I found this too. I'm glad I don't live in St. Louis.

Unsafe cities!

AGH I see you already found one more current. I'm sorry Detroit is so dangerous! :cry:
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

i understand, and i think i have been des. by the amount of violece i have seen :(

detroit, over the past few years, has had an increase in crime (probably due to the mayor) thankfully i dont live in detroit but live in the metro are
jennifer stambersky
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by jennifer stambersky »

if there was not bad things in this world how would we know what was good? thought it would be great if it all was good... i do not have to watch violence or let my children watch it but when they go to school how do i stop them from being influence with violence? now thats where it needs the most work.. just my opinion though no big deal
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

jennifer stambersky wrote:if there was not bad things in this world how would we know what was good? thought it would be great if it all was good... i do not have to watch violence or let my children watch it but when they go to school how do i stop them from being influence with violence? now thats where it needs the most work.. just my opinion though no big deal
Jennifer, you can't stop them from being exposed to violence at school...I know that's hard. But I think as long as the home enviroment balances it out , the children do learn " good" from " bad"..at least I hope so.
The other really important bit is making sure you talk to your nine year old so you have a good idea what he deals with in school.
jennifer stambersky
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

so far i have not had any problems with him... although he is autistic so things will be alot differnt for him then my 1 year old
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

jennifer stambersky wrote:so far i have not had any problems with him... although he is autistic so things will be alot differnt for him then my 1 year old
Does he go to special school or a regular school?
Do you have to be really careful with him?
I only know a little about autism. Can you fill me in a little about how it affects him?
jennifer stambersky
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

yes i can fill you in but i think of more things to talk about with his autisim it very hard to explan all at once so i will make a new post just regarding ian and his autism