Television Favorites!

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Television Favorites!

Post by Rusty »

8 - The Expanse Season 6 (2021) - I thought the last season was good, though clearly affected by how short it was. It didn't rise to the levels of earlier seasons and seemed to lack a certain tension. I did like the Strange Dogs adaptation in the prologue. If they ever get around to adapting the last three books, they'll probably need to recast the two kids, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

9 - Dead Gorgeous (2010) - Three sisters are killed in a carriage crash in 1860. They get a second chance 150 years later as living ghosts who look normal, but have ghost abilities. Their family's mansion and estate have been turned into a private boarding school and they are enrolled as students there. This is a fun comedy/drama series and it's too bad that it only got one season.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

10 - Star Cops (1987) - This series takes place in the distant future year of 2027 where they have Moon bases, expeditions to Mars, regular shuttle services into space, etc. This is a police procedural with a lot of the action in space and the space parts seem somewhat realistic, especially considering when it was made. The show got a bit more interesting as it went along, but overall is fairly average.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

11 - Star Trek The Animated Series Season 1 (1973) - I rewatched The Original Series in order last year and enjoyed them quite a bit. I had originally watched them in weekend syndication back in the late 70s. Now it's time to rewatch The Animated Series which I remember as also being a fun show. The first season didn't disappoint. I'll probably move on to The Next Generation at some point this year and then the other shows.

12 - Star Trek The Animated Series Season 2 (1974) - It's too bad that the second season was so short. It would have been nice to have more episodes.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

13 - The Tripods Series 1 (1984) - I read John Christopher's Tripods series a long time ago and I recall enjoying them, though not as much as some of his other series. This seems to be a decent adaptation, though it moved so slowly at first, I wasn't sure whether I'd continue with it or not. In 2089, humans are 'capped' when they come of age to keep them relatively docile, especially toward their alien Tripod rulers. Two English boys run away to avoid capping and go in search a fabled area of free men. It became more interesting once they got to France and picked up the third member of their party. The first series adapts the first book in the trilogy.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

14 - Rentaghost Series 1 (1976) - Fred Mumford has only been deceased for about six months and he decides to start a ghost rental agency. The only two ghosts who respond to his ad are a Victorian gentleman and a court jester. The show was decent, though not quite as good as I hoped so I may or may not continue with the other eight series.

15 - The Tick (2001) - I enjoyed this version of The Tick just as much, if not more, than the more recent version on Amazon Prime. I need to check out the animated series version some day.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

16 - The Survivors (1975) Series 1 - A pandemic swiftly goes through the world and kills off 99.98% of the population. A small part of the population is either naturally immune to the disease or catches it and survives. There is plenty of food and clothing that can be scavenged for now, but the survivors will have to use (and possibly relearn) certain skills in order to survive long term. It's a decent show that lasted for three seasons plus two seasons in the 2000s of a new version of the show.

17 - Cybergirl (2001) - A human prototype 6000 escapes from where she's being kept and travels to Earth. She looks like a teenage girl, except for the blue hair and lips plus various superhuman abilities. She is pursued by two earlier prototypes (who wear red). She makes a few friends on Earth and helps others while evading her pursuers. The villains are a bit cartoonish at times and it isn't up to the level of Ocean Girl, but I still think the series is fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

18 - Riget I (1994) - Strange things are going on at The Kingdom, a hospital in Denmark. There is an arrogant consulting neurosurgeon who left a girl brain damaged after surgery. There is the ghost of another girl murdered decades earlier. An elderly woman whose son works in the hospital is sensitive to spirits and tries to find out what happened to the girl. I thought this mini-series wasn't bad, but I didn't get overly engaged during it. I'll probably watch the second series eventually and the third season is due out this year, 25 years after the previous one. I doubt that I'll seek out Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital which is based on this.

19 - Stormworld (2009) - Jason and Lee are teenage friends in Vancouver who go out in a boat one day and get sucked into a vortex that takes them to a parallel world called Stormworld where there are many islands, but fresh water is a scarce resource. There are a number of competing groups who originally came from various worlds. Jason and Lee make friends with a girl with the nickname Flees and they work on surviving and finding a way home. It's a decent adventure series.

20 - Ark II (1976) - In the 25th Century, there is a small colony of scientists, but various disasters have apparently killed off most of the population and caused the rest to revert to feudal levels at best. Four scientists (a man, a young woman, a teenage boy, and a talking chimp) travel in a high tech RV bringing scientific knowledge to the superstitious people. It's a somewhat lame show, but is typical of the various Filmation series of the era such as Space Academy, Jason of Star Command, and Shazam. The Secrets of Isis was the best of the five live action Filmation series that I've seen with The Ghost Busters being the only one that I haven't watched yet.

21 - Quark (1977) - Richard Benjamin plays Adam Quark, the captain of a space garbage ship who gets a number of interesting assignments in this science fiction parody. Among his crew are the Vegeton Ficus (a Spock like figure played by Richard Kelton), Betty One and Betty Two (played by the Barnstable twins - one is a clone, but they won't admit to it), and others. The show definitely has its moments, though there are some misses as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

22,23 - Salvage 1 (1979) Seasons 1 and 2 - Andy Griffith stars as a the owner of a large junkyard who hears about the high value of the lunar lander and other items left behind in space. He decides to build a homemade spaceship to take a trip to the moon to get the valuable salvage. I watched this show occasionally when it first aired, but this is the first time I've watched it through from the beginning. Isaac Asimov was a scientific advisor on the series. It's a fun show and it's too bad that it got cancelled so early in the second season.

I watched the first 7 episodes of Grand Star (2007) before dropping it. It was really bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

24 - Julie e os Fantasmas (2011) - This series from Brazil served as the basis for the more recent Netflix series (Julie and the Phantoms) which I enjoyed quite a bit. This series shares similarities and differences with the newer series, but I ended up enjoying this series quite a bit as well. The characters were fun and the music was decent. It's too bad neither series got a second season, though at least the Brazilian version got 26 episodes compared to the 9 episodes in the Netflix run.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

25 - Parallax (2004) - A boy chases after the kid who stole his favorite shoes and discovers that there are parallel universes. He finds a sister he didn't know about in the first universe he visits. He makes other friends along the way and they explore a number of different places. An antagonist comes along to make things even more interesting. It's a fun series.

26 - The Tripods Series 2 (1985) - The adaptation of the second book in John Christopher's trilogy was good and on par with the first series. Too bad they didn't adapt the third book.

Lego Star Wars: The Resistance Rises (2016) - Fun little mini-episodes.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

27 - Chuck Finn Season 1 (1999) - A cocky Canadian boy moves to a small town in Australia when his father's job takes them there. He becomes friends with a group of kids who are interested in a old riverboat that one girl's father is fixing up to make it a working ship again. Aboard the ship are two ghosts who died on the riverboat, one a female card sharp from the 19th Century and the other an Elvis-like singer from the 1950s. They have a number of fun adventures, often centering around a rival riverboat owner and the town bullies. The show got a second season which was cut short due to financial difficulties, but unfortunately those episodes don't appear to be available anywhere.

28 - Charlie Jade (2004) - A detective from Cape City, South Africa ends up in a parallel universe where it is Cape Town, not Cape City. He investigates a company that is stealing water from other universes. The show is somewhat interesting at times, but overall is pretty mediocre.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

29 - Hawkeye Season 1 (2021) - I loved the Matt Fraction Hawkeye comic series with Clint Barton and Kate Bishop. This tv series with the two is also a lot of fun with plenty of action and humor.

30 - The Book of Boba Fett (2021) - Four mediocre and dull episodes focusing on Boba and his Tusken family followed by three very good episodes where the focus mostly shifts elsewhere.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

31 - Secrets of Sulphur Springs Season 2 (2022) - The second season was just about as much fun as the first one. Time travel, ghosts, etc,... what's not to love.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

32 - After Life Season 3 - In the first season, we were introduced to Tony, a man who works at a local newspaper and is depressed over the loss of his wife. Tony has a wide circle of friends who are concerned for him. The first season was darkly funny and very good. The second season was a step down and not as enjoyable. Unfortunately, much of the third season was even worse, though it did have moments scattered through the first five episodes that were good. The last episode was really good, though, and provided the show with a good ending.