Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:710:
122 - The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - 7/10 - Elizabeth I of England and the Earl of Essex (more than 30 years her junior) supposedly loved each other, though they had very differing views. Their relationship and Essex's downfall is covered in this somewhat dull film.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

123 - Gold Diggers of 1937 - 7/10 - A reluctant insurance salesman is brought in for a large policy on a prominent businessman. The problem is that the businessman is broke, but doesn't know it, thanks to the financial shenanigans of two of his employees. The employees hatched the scheme so that they could cash in if their hypochondriac boss died. It wasn't bad, but also wasn't as good as the 1933 installment.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

124 - Captain Caution - 7/10 - A merchant ship on the way to Maine from China in 1812 is unaware that war is declared and is captured by a British ship. The captain is killed, but the crew is rescued and they make their way to a port in France. Plenty of more acton between the American sailors and the British navy. I thought it was a decent film.

:6510:
125 - The Actress - 6.5/10 - Ruth Gordon's autobiography is told here, based on the play that she wrote. It starts in 1913 with a seventeen year old Ruth wanting to be an actress, but her father has other plans. It was okay, but not that good overall.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

126 - Battle Cry - 7/10 - This movie follows a group of Marines from boot camp through their various assignments in the Pacific during WWII. It's a bit hokey at times and seems like a propaganda film at the beginning (even though it was made in 1955), but overall I enjoyed it. Many of the characters were actual veterans from WWII.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
127 - Adventures of Don Juan - 7.5/10 - Don Juan is a well known womanizer and swordsman. His romances with women sometimes get him into trouble from jealous husbands and fiances. He returns to Spain after one such affair and comes to the aid of the Queen who is being plotted against by a Count. I thought it was a decent Errol Flynn film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

128 - Incendiary Blonde - 7.5/10 - Betty Hutton stars as Texas Guinan, a woman who starred in a wild west show early in the 20th Century and then went on to star in films and on broadway before being well known in the 1920s for her speakeasies which catered to the famous and well to do. The film seemed fairly fictionalized, but was still entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

129 - Quality Street (1937) - 7/10 - Katharine Hepburn plays a young woman in 1805 who is in love with a doctor who goes off to war. He doesn't return for 10 years and she thinks that she is too old for him to love now so she pretends to be her younger niece. It was okay, but nothing special.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:810:
130 - Ford v Ferrari - 8/10
- The story of how Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles helped Ford build the GT40 and win Le Mans in 1966. I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie.

131 - On the Riviera - 7.5/10 - Danny Kaye stars as a nightclub singer/performer in France who is hired to impersonate a famous French pilot/entreprenuer due to their close resemblance. I thought it was a fun movie and the songs and acts were pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

132 - When Ladies Meet (1933) - 7/10 - A young author named Mary has written a book about a love triangle which somewhat mirrors her own situation with her married publisher. Her friend Jimmy has loved Mary for years and arranges for her to meet the publisher's wife, hoping to break up the infatuation that she has. It wasn't very different from the later version of the film. It was okay, but not great.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

133 - The Glenn Miller Story - 7.5/10 - Jimmy Stewart stars as Glenn Miller, the popular band leader with tons of top 10 hits who went missing in 1944 during a flight over the English Channel. At first, I thought that Stewart wasn't quite right for the role, but he grew on me as it went along. June Allyson did a nice job as his wife, Helen. I thought it was a pretty good picture. Some parts got short shrift, but there were a lot of things to cover.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

134 - Vivacious Lady - 8/10 - Jimmy Stewart is a college professor in New York to retrieve his cousin at the behest of his father, the college President. He meets a young woman (Ginger Rogers) who sings and dances at a club. The two have a whirlwind romance and marry. However, the professor has trouble breaking the news to his domineering father and mother with a heart condition. I thought it was a fun movie. Ginger Rogers was really good here.

135 - I Married a Witch - 7/10 - Jennifer and her father Daniel were burned at the stake as witches in 17th Century Salem. Their ashes were buried under a tree to contain them, but their spirits escape in 1942. They had cursed the Wooley men for centuries to marry the wrong person. They decide to mess with the current Wooley who is running for office and is about to get married, but the plan backfires. It was a decent film.

136 - Black Legion - 7/10 - Frank Taylor works in a machine shop. When he is passed over for a promotion, he falls in with an anti-immigrant group called the Black Legion. They terrorize certain immigrants to get their way. This is based on a true story in Michigan from the mid-30s. Humphrey Bogart does a decent job in the lead role.

:610:
137 - The Little Prince - 6/10 - I didn't care much for this adaptation of the children's novella.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

138 - Ajami - 7.5/10 - There are multiple stories that intersect here in this Arab/Israeli film. It starts with a boy being killed in a case of mistaken identity. This leads the family to send the two younger children to Jerusalem for safety. The older brother, Omar, stays behind and looks for help from a restaurant owner. Other stories include a missing soldier and his brother, drug dealers who kill an older Jewish man and cops who are looking for drugs. It was a decent film.

139 - As it Is In Heaven - 7.5/10 - This Swedish film follows a famous conductor with a heart condition after he collapses on stage. He returns to the hometown where he was bullied as a child before his mother took him away from there. He becomes involved in the church choir and it helps him recover his love of music. It was a pretty good film.

140 - Good Boys - 7/10 - The movie was kind of dumb, but it had some parts that were pretty funny.

141 - Babette's Feast - 8/10 - In 18th Century Denmark, the pastor of a Christian sect has two daughters who are courted by a number of men, but they decide to stay unmarried and live with their father. 35 years later, a woman arrives at their door with a letter from one of the former suitors. This woman named Babette asks to work for them with no wages and soon vastly improves the quality of their meals and life. Fourteen years after this, Babette receives notice that she has won the lottery back in her home of France and has won 10000 francs. She asks the ladies she works for to allow her to put on a real French feast for them. I thought this movie was very well done and was entertaining.

142 - Don't Tell - 7.5/10 - Sabina is an actress, though most of her jobs involve dubbing foreign shows. She has a number of events happen to her at once - her parents die, she becomes pregnant, and she starts having dreams about something bad that happened to her as a child. She goes to visit her brother in America and is able to learn what really happened back then. I thought this was a pretty good movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

143 - Endless Love - 7/10 - Brooke Shields stars as a 15 year old girl named Jade who falls in love with an older boy named David. Their relationship becomes somewhat obsessive as David spends every night making love to Jade and her sleep and studies suffer. When Jade's father tries to break them up for a month to give things a chance to cool off, David ends up burning down Jade's house and is committed to a psychiatric hospital. It wasn't bad.

144 - Pain and Glory - 8/10 - Antonio Banderas stars as a popular film director and writer whose health is failing him and it is also impacting his ability to create. The movie shows a number of reunions with people from his past and also has flashbacks to his youth and other time periods. These reunions and flashbacks help him decide to deal with his health issues. I thought it was very well done.

:8510:
145 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 8.5/10 - Leonardo DiCaprio stars as 1950s Western star who is trying to revive his career in Hollywood in the late 1960s. Brad Pitt plays his best friend and stuntman. Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate and the Manson Family plays a large role in the film. Other than the portrayal of Bruce Lee in one scene, I enjoyed the movie a lot.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

146 - Farinelli - 7/10 - The story of the popular castrato singer from the 18th Century and his older brother (a composer) is told here. It appears to take a number of liberties with the true story, but I guess that is not too uncommon with biographies. It was interesting at times, but not great.

147 - Can-Can - 7.5/10 - In Montmartre in 1896, the Can-Can is a forbidden dance where women lift their skirts during the dance. Simone owns the Bal du Paradis where dancers perform the dance. She is in a love triangle with a lawyer and a young judge. There are lots of songs and dances in this fairly entertaining musical.

148 - The Bridges at Toko-Ri - 7.5/10 - Lieutenant Brubaker is a Naval reservist who was called up to fly a plane during the Korean War. An important mission to knock out some bridges comes up, but the carrier socks in Japan for some shore leave first where Brubaker gets some time with his wife and kids. This was a pretty good movie and is based on a James Michener novel which in turn was based on Michener's experiences as a war correspondent during the Korean War.

:6510:
149 - A Handful of Dust - 6.5/10 - Anthony Last is an English country gentleman in 1934. His marriage falls apart and his wife seeks a divorce with a financial settlement that would cause him to sell off his beloved home. I thought that the movie was only so-so and found much of it dull.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

150 - Walk on the Wild Side - 7.5/10 - A man from Texas hitches rides on his way to New Orleans during the Depression to look for the woman he loves. Along the way, he comes across Kitty, a drifter who decides to accompany him. They part ways at a cafe when Kitty steals from the owner who had been nice to the two of them. The man gets a job at the cafe and keeps searching for her, eventually finding her working as a high class prostitute. I thought that it was good. Jane Fonda played Kitty.

151 - White Nights - 7.5/10 - Mikhail Baryshnikov stars as a ballet dancer who defected to the U.S. 8 years earlier. A plane he is on is forced to make an emergency landing in Siberia. He is taken to Moscow and told that he will be allowed to reclaim his old position and will be treated well if he cooperates. Gregory Hines plays a tap dancer living in Russia with his wife. He is coerced to keep an eye on Baryshnikov, but may be the key to helping him escape. I enjoyed it.

:1010:
152 - Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me - 10/10 - Glen Campbell was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2011. He and his family made the decision to go on one final tour while he still had the ability to perform. It stretched into 151 concert dates in 2011 and 2012. This documentary follows him through the tour, visits to the Mayo Clinic, at home with family, and on the road. Many other musicians are interviewed or shown as well as plenty of interviews with his family. I don't really enjoy watching documentaries most of the time, but this one was very well done and is worth watching.

153 - Outside the Law - 7/10 - This movie follows the battle for Algerian independence from France starting at the end of WWII through 1962. The lens that is used is with three brothers - one in jail for his political beliefs, another in the French army fighting in Indochina, and a third who brings his mother with him to France and gets into a few shady dealings to make money and survive. The movie wasn't bad, though it pales in comparison to The Battle for Algiers.