Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Merry Christmas!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: hows your day going ?

Post by Rusty »

Merry Christmas!

Did you do anything exciting for Christmas? My brother and his wife are in London for a week so we are getting together as a family next Sunday to have dinner and open presents. I spent a good part of yesterday and today with my mom. We went to a movie today and played lots of cards.

I am almost caught up with my new comics. I fell behind last year and am working through 16 months worth of DC books. I caught up on the rest over the past couple of months. Then I can start on the back issues that have piled up.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I just went to my brothers I have to work today so I had to leave early :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Happy New Year!

I went over to a friend's house for a New Year's Eve party as I've done for the last few years. Nothing too exciting, but fun with good food. I have been reading comics and finished watching the first season of Star Trek Discovery today.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Happy New year.... sorry im late
Theres a lot of hate for star Trek Discovery, it was ok to me
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

So how are you doing, Dave?

My routine is pretty steady so far in retirement. I go to my mom's house once a week to help her clean and organize years of accumulation and to play cards. The rest of the time, I read, watch tv, walk the dog and do stuff around the house. I've started to get caught up on a few tv shows on Netflix. I'll be going to Charlotte for a comic convention in June and will be teaching a class at Wayne State in the fall.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I have been dealing with stress a lot :(

why did you decide to go to a comic con in Charlotte? what are you going to teach at wayne state? were you bored?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

For the last couple of years, I've asked some of the dealers at Wizard World Chicago and collectors that I know online what other major shows are good for buying comics as opposed to all the other crap that often accompanies these shows. The two responses that I kept getting back were HeroesCon in Charlotte and the Baltimore Comic Con. I was going to go to Baltimore last year, but it conflicted a bit with my trip to Japan so I am going this year instead. HeroesCon has been the weekend when school got out the last few years so I couldn't go, but I can make it this year. I've only heard good things about it so it should be fun. I'm going to add a few days to the trip and do some tourist stuff while I'm down there, too.

I've been curious about teaching college classes for a number of years. I could have done it last fall, but I wanted to actually have a year or so where I wasn't working at all. I may like it or I may not. I don't think I'll do it for too long because I'd like to travel some during off peak times, but I would like to at least have the experience and be able to see that I taught at the college level. It will be a lower level math class so it should be pretty easy. We'll see how it goes.

I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with a lot of stress. Is it mostly work related? Hopefully it eases up on you soon. Stress was one of the reasons that I decided to retire when I did rather than continuing to teach for a few more years.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Are you going to drive down there in your car or rent? or are you going to fly and ship your comics back?

Did you have to get any other certifications to teach at a college?

Thank you, some of its work but most of it was me trying to reach out to an old classmate that didnt go so well :( I guess ill stop doing that....
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm going to drive down there. It's a lot cheaper than flying and is also nice because I can pack a cooler and use that for lunches and such during the convention so I don't have to eat expensive convention food or try to find a place nearby. The car is also convenient because I can store the comics in there during the show rather than carrying them around if the bag gets too heavy.

I think all that you need to teach at the college level is a Master's Degree in your subject area or a certain level of experience maybe if it is a specialized class. The Master's degree in Mathematics that I have plus all of the high school experience are plenty for what I will be doing.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm in Charlotte now for HeroesCon. I drove for just under 12 hours and got here around 6:45pm. I was able to go the Convention Center for pre-registration and get my wristband so I am all set for the show tomorrow morning. It should be fun.

I got asked to teach a second section of the math class at Wayne State this fall. They initially asked me to teach a Monday/Wednesday section, but that would have meant that I would be down there four days a week so I declined. I told them that if they scheduled it right before or right after the other section that I am teaching that I would do it. They looked into it and saw that it would work so I will be teaching 1-2:15 and 2:30-3:45 Tuesdays and Thursdays. Hopefully it will be a decent experience.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

How was the con?

How is the pay for it, is it twice the pay?...
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I drove to Akron this evening and will continue on to Baltimore in the morning for the comic book convention this weekend. I have heard that it is a good one and decided to go this year. I would have gone last year, but it was right after my Japan trip.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

How did it go? Im kinda late.... Your avatar isnt working, photobuckets been pretty bad
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

The show was pretty good. Definitely better than HeroesCon. I came up with 80 comics and had a good time. I don't know that I'll go back, though. It's kind of far to go.

I deleted the photobucket link and tried to enter it from another site, but it keeps getting rejected for invalid url.