Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

108 - Singin' In the Rain - 10/10 - This musical was great. Jean Hagen was hilarious and the team of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor was very entertaining.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote:108 - Singin' In the Rain - 10/10 - This musical was great. Jean Hagen was hilarious and the team of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor was very entertaining.
I know that scene but ive never seen the movie :x
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

It's definitely worth seeing.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

109 - Citizen Kane - 5.5/10 - This movie reminded me a lot of a stage play. It was okay and had some interesting parts, but was rather boring. I found it hard to care very much about most of the characters though I did like Bernstein.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

friggin rosebud. the movie itself wasnt that great but it "teches" you how to watch movies
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Rusty wrote:109 - Citizen Kane - 5.5/10 - This movie reminded me a lot of a stage play. It was okay and had some interesting parts, but was rather boring. I found it hard to care very much about most of the characters though I did like Bernstein.
It's one of those ones that you have to see, regardless of how boring it is.

The Rosebud thing is so ingrained in our popular culture that the twist isn't a twist anymore and some of the charm and reason why it was/is such a great movie is kind of lessened today. It's like the reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's father is no longer the "omg" moment it was years and years ago because it's not a shock.

It was a ground breaking movie and a model for all films to come afterwards, but it just doesn't hold up now-a-days.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

110 - Vertigo - 9/10 - Jimmy Stewart stars as a detective who falls in love with the woman he is trying to protect, a woman who appears to be possessed at times by one of her ancestors. A very nice, suspenseful movie.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Going old school this week?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm working my way through the movies I haven't seen on the AFI top 100 Movies list. I'm gettin' me some culture. I might also go and watch a few I haven't seen in ages.

I was somewhat inspired by the VA thread with the 10th anniversary list where I'd only seen about 45 of the top 100.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

111 - Raging Bull - 6.5/10 - I wanted to like the movie more, but I found LaMotta to be a pretty unsympathetic character. DeNiro did a nice job portraying him, though. The movie had a very leisurely pace to it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

112 - The General - 8.5/10 - Buster Keaton stars in this silent action comedy about a railroad engineer who tries to rescue his engine and his girlfriend during the Civil War. He also has to deal with and evade Union Army soldiers. Very entertaining.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote:111 - Raging Bull - 6.5/10 - I wanted to like the movie more, but I found LaMotta to be a pretty unsympathetic character. DeNiro did a nice job portraying him, though. The movie had a very leisurely pace to it.
I still havent seen this yet but its one i want to see
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

113 - Waiting... - 5.5/10 - A movie about the employees at a restaurant called Shenaniganz and their various quirks. The movie wasn't anything special, but I liked it and thought it was decent. I wanted to throttle the one bitchy customer, though I'm sure that was intentional.
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Superman: DOOMSDAY.

It was okay, but I was disappointed. It could have been so much better. They changed the story from the comic quite a bit, which I was okay with, but I feel they missed it.

It looked great, the fight sequences were really good. The character models were very different from the animated show too, especially on Supes and Lex. They just looked odd.

The documentary about the comic was very good, though. And the sneak peek at the JLA New Frontier adaptation looks very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm not really keen on most animated movies, other than the Disney/Pixar/Miyazaki type. I might watch Superman: Doomsday eventually.

114 - Double Indemnity (1944) - 8/10 - This film noir classic stars Fred MacMurray as an insurance salesman who helps a woman (Barbara Stanwyck) in a plot to murder her husband and collect on the insurance money. The movie has lots of snappy dialogue courtesy of Raymond Chandler and was pretty entertaining.