Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

I've just started reading it, but it seems good so far. My friend told me that there's supposed to be a movie on it coming out.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

The movie came out last year. Here's a link
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

Thanks.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Oath of Swords by David Weber - This is the first of three fantasy novels (so far) about Bahzell Bahnakson, a Horse Stealer Hradani who is incapable of turning a blind eye to someone in need of help. And at almost 8 ft tall and an accomplished warrior, he is able to do something about it. Nevertheless, when he starts getting the sense that the Gods have a plan for him, he doesn't want anything to do with it. Baen recently rereleased this book in a trade paperback edition, so I decided to read it again. It is an excellent book, but I wish they'd gone with a hardcover edition instead.

Sword Brother by David Weber. This is a 150 page novella that Baen included as a bonus in the new trade edition of Oath of Swords. It is probably best read after reading all three books in the series. Bahzell is being lured into a trap by followers of two different dark gods. His friend, the wizard Wencit brings help from another universe in order to aid Bahzell. This help comes in the form of a LAV straight from Iraq with two US Marines on board. They help Bahzell fight demons, evil wizards and others. It is a good story, though I prefer the novels.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Myth-Gotten Gains by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye. I'm happy that the Myth Adventures books are back on an annual basis after such a long layoff. Asprin has regained his form of old now that he writes with a co-author. In this book, Aahz is on vacation after the breakup of M.Y.T.H. Inc. while shopping in a local flea market in a backwater dimension, he comes across a sword that claims to be the legendary Ersatz, leader of the Golden Hoard and victor in more than a million battles. He becomes involved with a girl who is trying to collect all of the members of the Golden Hoard in order to save her grandfather. They have to travel the dimensions to locate the orb, the purse, the book, the ring, the fife and the cup. This book was filled with humor and plenty of adventure and was a fun read.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Sisters Grimm #1 The Fairy-Tale Detectives - Sabrina and Daphne Grimm haven't had an easy couple of years. Their parents disappear and then they spend time bouncing around between an orphanage and horrible foster homes. They finally are sent to live with their grandmother aned find out that they are descendants of the Brothers Grimm. Granny Relda lives in Ferryport, new York, which is home to many fables from the mayor, Prince Charming, to the police, the three pigs, and many more. The girls have barely moved in when they have to save the town from a giant. This book was very entertaining and is the start of a series. There are a few similarities to the comic book series Fables, though I suppose that is to be expected since they have a somewhat similar premise.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Juxtaposition by Piers Anthony - This is the third book in the original Apprentice Adept trilogy. The Tourney comes to an end and Stile goes on his honeymoon in Phaze. He also has to try and save both Phaze and Proton from destruction while being opposed by large groups of Citizens and Adepts alike. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, though perhaps not as much as the first two books in the series. The series continues for another four books with the next generation, but I don't plan to reread those books.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull - I ran across this book at Target a month or so ago and finally picked up a copy and read it. I loved it and will pick up the sequel when it comes out in May. The book centers around Kendra and her little brother Seth who end up spending 17 days with their grandfather when their parents go on a cruise. It turns out that their grandfather, whom they've rarely seen, lives in a house in the middle of a huge nature preserve. However, it turns out to be more than a nature preserve since it is also a haven for many fairy creatures, some of them fairly dangerous. Seth is impulsive and soon gets himself and others into trouble. This was a very entertaining debut novel.
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

Rusty, have you read House of the Scorpion?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

tommi wrote:Rusty, have you read House of the Scorpion?
You can call me Kurt if you want - Rusty's just my board name.

Yes, your sister recommended it awhile ago and I loved it. I'm thinking of reading some of her other books eventually. Did you read it?
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

Rusty wrote:

Yes, your sister recommended it awhile ago and I loved it. I'm thinking of reading some of her other books eventually. Did you read it?
Yea, I was just wondering what you thought of it. I liked the book too, do you recommend any other interesting books like that?
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

Rusty wrote:

Yea, I was just wondering what you thought of it. I liked the book too, do you recommend any other interesting books like that?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

tommi wrote: Yea, I was just wondering what you thought of it. I liked the book too, do you recommend any other interesting books like that?
The only one I can think of is Ender's Game, which is one of my favorites. It takes place about 100 years from now and deals with highly intelligent kids who are taken to Battle School where they are trained to fight the enemy. It isn't exactly the same as House of the Scorpion, but is an excellent and intense book.

I'll look through my books when I get a chance and see if I can come up with something else.
tommi
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by tommi »

Rusty wrote:
tommi wrote: Yea, I was just wondering what you thought of it. I liked the book too, do you recommend any other interesting books like that?
The only one I can think of is Ender's Game, which is one of my favorites. It takes place about 100 years from now and deals with highly intelligent kids who are taken to Battle School where they are trained to fight the enemy. It isn't exactly the same as House of the Scorpion, but is an excellent and intense book.

I'll look through my books when I get a chance and see if I can come up with something else.
Sounds good, thanks.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Sisters Grimm #2 - The Unusual Suspects - Sabrina and Daphne Grimm finally have to start school after putting it off as long as possible since moving to Ferryport Landing. Daphne has Snow White as a teacher and loves it. Sabrina has Mr. Grumpner and is not having a great time, what with bullies and mean games of dodgeball. A teacher gets murdered and this sets off an investigation that involves the Pied Piper, Rumpelstiltskin, and others. A pretty good sequel and the main threads are tied up, though the story is continued in the third book.