Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I still havent read all of infinite crisis :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:I still havent read all of infinite crisis :(
What, just issue 7 or more than that? You should read them - they were pretty good.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I cant even remember I think I was up to issue 5?
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Well i have caught up with most of my Marvel comics I dont have an issue of FF but I have it on order on ebay, I also dont know exactly what going on with Thor, Is he back or is it just that his hammer reappeared?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:Well i have caught up with most of my Marvel comics I dont have an issue of FF but I have it on order on ebay, I also dont know exactly what going on with Thor, Is he back or is it just that his hammer reappeared?
I take it that you haven't read Civil War #3 yet. The answer is at the end of the issue.

I read a few more books:

Astro City The Dark Age #1-4 - I liked this series, not as much as some of the other Astro City stories in the past, but it wasn't bad. I didn't particularly care for the Samaritan Special, though, that I also read.

JLA Classified #22-25 - The return of Justice League Detroit. While it was sort of fun to see Gypsy, Vibe, Vixen and Steel again, I don't think this story was as much fun as I remember the JL Detroit team being when I read them 20 years ago. The story was okay, but nothing really special. It was still a lot better than the last couple of story arcs that appeared in JLA Classified.

Sixgun Samurai #1-6 - A 15 year old kid who is an expert with a katana and with six shooters in the old west. I loved the premise when I read about it and I loved the series when I finally got around to reading it. I'm glad I waited until it was complete since there was a 7 month gap between the last two issues. The main story was excellent and the conclusion, while predictable, was appropriate.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I read issue 3 now but how did it go from just his hammer to him being there?

I never knew there was a JLA Detroit was the Crow in it.... :P
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:I read issue 3 now but how did it go from just his hammer to him being there?

I never knew there was a JLA Detroit was the Crow in it.... :P
They haven't explained why or how he is back yet, but Don Blake picks up the hammer in an issue of FF and there's a show of lightning. The next appearance is in Civil War 3 at the very end where Thor appears. I imagine more will be explained in Civil War #4 next month and in some of the other books. Thor is supposed to get his own series again next year.

The Justice League Detroit was at the very end of the original series, back in 1984-85. I liked it, though many people didn't.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

More catching up on comic reading

Testament #6-7 - I think this title has a lot of potential, but I haven't really been enjoying it at all. I wish it was more of a straight story rather than delving into the various gods and creationism. This is a title that I'll be dropping.

BPRD: The Universal Machine #1-5 - Another excellent entry in this series. I've enjoyed all of the BPRD and Hellboy series so far. In this one, the search for a cure for the homunculus leads to an encounter with a collector of rare items who is not as he first appears. Several of the characters also share their encounters with death.

Spike vs Dracula #1-5 - This series was well written, funny and very entertaining. I thought it captured the spirit of the Buffyverse very well. Of course, with Peter David writing it, I would expect no less. A different emcounter and time period is depicted in each issue.

Storm #1-6 and Uncanny X-Men Annual #1 - I enjoyed the Storm miniseries, though not as much as last year's Ororo: Before the Storm mini. This one was more serious and depicts Ororo's first encounter with T'Challa. The Uncanny X-Men annual was okay and works as an epilogue to the Storm mini, but I haven't really been following the regular X-Men titles for a while now.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I dropped a few titles last year and I decided to pick up the missing issues at Wizard World this year since they were pretty cheap.

Doom Patrol 12-18 - I liked these issues even though I've never been a big Doom Patrol fan. I like this Doom Patrol a lot more than what I have seen of them in the OYL DC Universe.

Breach 4-11 - These issues weren't anything special. They weren't terrible, but there was nothing that really stood out about them either.

100 Bullets 61-69 - I dropped this series because it had become hit or miss. I loved the series early on, but some characters and stories were more interesting than others. These 9 issues followed the same pattern with some of them being decent and others rather dull. I'll probably keep picking up the issues in the 25 and 50 cent bins at cons, but don't like it enough to pay regular price.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I read the first Earth X series, including issues 0-12 and X. I didn't really care for it all that much and found it to be pretty boring. The Thing was the best character in there, but he wasn't in there very much. I still have Universe X and Paradise X to read since I picked them up at the last two cons I went to, but I don't hold out much hope that they will be better.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I just caught up on Fables, Y the Last Man, Runaways ( My new favorite series), Ex Machina, and Civil War. I like them all but I had about 10 issues to read of each to bring me up to date ...at least 8)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I just caught up on Fables, Y the Last Man, Runaways ( My new favorite series), Ex Machina, and Civil War. I like them all but I had about 10 issues to read of each to bring me up to date ...at least 8)
Mostly all good series, though I didn't like Civil War #4 that much.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I haven't read 4 yet.

I have to wait like three months now so I can order back issues in a lump because it's less expensive to bring them in that way.
Last edited by fluffy on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

That sucks having to wait, though I suppose once you get a batch, they last for a while. I enjoyed reading all of Ex Machina in a two day span.

I read Pride of Baghdad today and liked it. It was pretty good, though not quite on the same level as Y the Last Man, Fables and other Vertigo books.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Rusty wrote:That sucks having to wait, though I suppose once you get a batch, they last for a while. I enjoyed reading all of Ex Machina in a two day span.

I read Pride of Baghdad today and liked it. It was pretty good, though not quite on the same level as Y the Last Man, Fables and other Vertigo books.
Yeah the unfortunate side effect of having the shipping be so expensive is that I really had to cut out almost all the books I was just " curious" about and stick with the tried and true ones.
I'll rely on you guys to tell me if there's an outstanding series I'm missing.