Book Reviews

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished reading Avalon High by Meg Cabot, a modern tale of King Arthur, Lancelot, etc. being reincarnated and attending Avalon High School in Annapolis, Maryland. I found it pretty entertaining as are most of Cabot's books. It was a fun, quick read.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I have about 7 single or series of books left to read of the ones you sent me, Kurt.
I need to get the last book of the Shannara series and the last book of the Robot series by Asimov and the last Chanur book, then those three series will be complete.
I'm still plowing through the DoOon Mode and this suicidal teenager is truly getting to me. I'm trying to finish it today.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I have about 7 single or series of books left to read of the ones you sent me, Kurt.
I need to get the last book of the Shannara series and the last book of the Robot series by Asimov and the last Chanur book, then those three series will be complete.
I'm still plowing through the DoOon Mode and this suicidal teenager is truly getting to me. I'm trying to finish it today.
So how did you like the Chanur series so far? I've got a few more books for you at some point, whether I ship them down there or send them back with you if you make it to Chicago.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I didn't start the Chanur series yet.

When is Chicago?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I didn't start the Chanur series yet.

When is Chicago?
Oh, okay. I must not have sent you the whole series then.

Chicago is August 4th-6th with a preview night on August 3rd, though I won't be going to that.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Dragonspell by Donita Paul. It wasn't the best book I've read lately, but it was good. It was about a young slave girl who is freed after it is learned that she has an affinity for finding dragon eggs. She is sent to a city for training, but ends up as part of a quest instead. There's a sequel to it that I'll probably check out of the library sometime soon.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

I'm reading one of the books you sent me called CatsPaw by Joan Vinge which is about a half Hydran psion who is being used to find out why this one woman is being threatened. It's really a good read.
Last edited by fluffy on Tue May 23, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:I'm reading ne of the books you sent me called CatsPaw by Joan Vinge which is about a half Hydran psion who is being used to find out why this one woman is being threatened. It's really a good read.
I loved CatsPaw when I read it. Cat is a really good character. I later found out that it was a sequel to Psion, which I also enjoyed, though not as much as CatsPaw. There is also a third book in the series called Dreamfall.
fluffy
Actually Reads The Board
Actually Reads The Board

Post by fluffy »

Rusty wrote:
fluffy wrote:I'm reading ne of the books you sent me called CatsPaw by Joan Vinge which is about a half Hydran psion who is being used to find out why this one woman is being threatened. It's really a good read.
I loved CatsPaw when I read it. Cat is a really good character. I later found out that it was a sequel to Psion, which I also enjoyed, though not as much as CatsPaw. There is also a third book in the series called Dreamfall.
Have you read Dreamfall? Maybe I should pick it up.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

fluffy wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Have you read Dreamfall? Maybe I should pick it up.
I thought it was pretty good, but CatsPaw is the best in the series.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Flyte by Angie Sage, the second book in her Septimus Heap series. I enjoyed it a lot, even more than the first book, Magyk. I think that might be because I was more familiar with the characters because the first book was also a good read.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Snake, the third book in the Five Ancestors series by Jeff Stone. The series takes place in China in the mid-1600s. It wasn't bad and had a mix of action and humor.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Red Lightning by John Varley and it was very good. It is a sequel to his 2003 novel, Red Thunder, but takes place about 20 years later. Ray Garcia-Strickland is a 17 year old high school senior who lives on Mars with his family. Mars sucks, but at least it is better than Earth where the US is becoming a police state and there are minor wars throughout the world. Then Earth is struck by a major disaster and Ray travels to Earth with his family to find his grandmother, who lives in Florida.

The book was very well written by a hugo and nebula winning author and is very entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished Ardneh's Sword by Fred Saberhagen and liked it a lot. Empire of the East is an excellent collection of 3 short novels where the world changes from a world of science to a world of magic and demons. Ardneh's Sword takes place 1000 years later where an expedition is underway searching for the legendary workshop of Ardneh and what treasures or knowledge might be within. The book also helps to bridge the gap between Empire of the East and Saberhagen's Swords books, which are also among my favorites.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I finished reading The Tenth City, the third book in the Land of Elyon series by Patrick Carman. The series was a nice, little fantasy series which starts with a young girl growing up in a walled city where people are afraid to venture outside the walls. The series is filled with adventure and some magic and was very good.