comics

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: comics

Post by Rusty »

The did the Reborn stuff for a year back in the 90s. I heard somebody mentioning a reboot, but I thought they were joking. We'll see.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

420 - New Avengers vol.2 - Flashbacks to 1959 seem to be setting up the Avengers 1959 miniseries. In the present, the Avengers go up against HAMMER. A pretty entertaining volume.

421 - The Eye of the World vol. 1 - I wasn't too impressed with this book.

422 - Little Lulu vol. 20: The Bawlplayers and Other Stories - fun, fun stuff.

423 - Little Lulu vol. 21: Miss Feeny's Folly and Other Stories - more fun stories in full color.

424 - Formic Wars: Burning Earth - This prequel to Ender's Game tells the story of the first war with the Formics as they invade our solar system. Lieutenant Mazer Rackham and space miner Victor Delgado are the two main characters in this entertaining start to a series.

425 - Tubby vol. 4: The Atomic Violin and Other Stories - Little Lulu's pal is just as entertaining as Lulu. Dark Horse is doing a nice job with these books.

426 - The Last Dragon - Jane Yolen's story has very nice art by Rebecca Gray. It is all contained in a beautiful oversized hardcover edition.

427 - Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man - Spider-Man doesn't appear for long in this book, regardless of the title. This is more of an internal battle between SHIELD factions. Still, it was a decent story.

428 - Doctor Who Classics vol. 7 - Decent stories featuring the seventh Doctor.

429 - Steve Canyon: The Complete Series vol. 1 - A nice collection of Steve Canyon tales from the Four Color series.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

430 - same difference and other stories - The lead story is really good. I didn't care nearly as much about the rest of the short stories.

431 - The Eternal Smile - Three pretty entertaining and varied stories.

432 - Prime Baby - A young boy is convinced that his baby sister is an alien and sets out to convince the world. This was a fun, though quick, read.

433 - Hardy Boys New Case Files #1: Crawling With Zombies - Not quite as good as the previous series, but okay. Frank and Joe are at odds with one another.

434 - Hardy Boys New Case Files #2: Break-Up - A continuation of book 1

435 - Nancy Drew New Case Files #1: Vampire Slayer Part One - Nancy and friends investigate a mysterious new resident who seems to be a vampire. Like the Hardy Boys, the previous series was better.

436 - Nancy Drew New Case Files #2: Vampire Slayer Part Two

437 - Nancy Drew New Case Files #3: Together with the Hardy Boys - A crossover that wraps up the stories from the first two volumes of each series.

438 - The Smurf King - Smurfing good.

439 - The Smurfs and the Egg - Smurftastic.

440 - Purple Smurfs - This one was the Smurf.

441 - The Smurfs and the Howlibird - Smurfcentral.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

442 - The Smurfette - Gargamel creates a female Smurf who wreaks all sorts of havoc.

443 - The Astrosmurf - A Smurf wants to travel to other planets

444 - Stargazing Dog

445 - Planet of the Apes vol. 1 - A nice new series from Boom

446 - John Stanley Nance vol. 3 - A decent collection of tales

447 - Little Lulu vol. 22: The Big Dipper and Other Stories - A better collection of tales
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Rusty wrote:442 - The Smurfette - Gargamel creates a female Smurf who wreaks all sorts of havoc.

Smurfette origin?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:
Rusty wrote:442 - The Smurfette - Gargamel creates a female Smurf who wreaks all sorts of havoc.

Smurfette origin?
yep
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

448 - Little Lulu vol. 23: The Bogey Snowman and Other Stories - Fun stuff.

449 - Little Lulu vol. 24: The Space Dolly and Other Stories - More Fun stuff.

450 - Little Lulu vol. 28: The Prize Winner and Other Stories - Even More Fun stuff. This volume reprints two of the Dell Giants from the 50s - 1 of them focusing on a trip to summer camp and he other on Halloween activities.

451 - The Secret Science Alliance - A very entertaining book about a very smart 11 year old geek who gets a new start when his family moves. He tries to fit in socially, though he finds it difficult. Then he falls in with a couple of likeminded students who form a science group.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

452 - Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man - A pretty good story

453 - X-Factor: Hard Labor - Rahne has her baby and lots of people are after it. Not as much fun as most X-Factor volumes, but okay.

454 - Flashpoint - I haven't read any of the tie-in minis, but this was a pretty good story by itself.

455 - Ultimate Comics X Origins - A new group of mutants is assembled. I thought it was pretty good.

456 - Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah - Not as much fun as Hellboy, but a decent little story of a creature from the sea.

457 - Space Family Robinson Archives vol. 2 - Another nice collection of stories from the 1960s series that spawned Lost In Space.

458 - Turok Son of Stone Archives vol. 9 - The stories have gotten somewhat repetitive over time, but I still like them.

459 - Dagar the Invincible Archives vol. 1 - This collects the first 9 issues of Gold Key's sword and sorcery series. It was okay, but I didn't think it was anything really special.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

460 - Wizards of Mickey vol. 2
461 - Wizards of Mickey vol. 3
462 - Giant Size Little Lulu vol. 4
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

463 - The Mission - A man finds his life upended when a strange man tells him that he has been chosen to carry out a mission for good. His mission is to kill a man within the next 48 hours. He's skeptical, but soon finds that there are supernatural forces at work. I enjoyed this mini series quite a bit. The art is a bit rough, but serves the story well enough.

464 - Geronimo Stilton #8: Play it Again, Mozart - Geronimo and friends travel to Italy in 1770 to save Mozart from the Cat gang. A fun little story as usual.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

465 - Batman: Arkham City - A fun little series that leads into the video game. If I played video games regularly, I'd definitely check it out. Maybe some day.

466 - Batman: The Gates of Gotham - A nice story tying 19th Century Gotham to the present day. Scott Snyder sure does a nice job with Batman stories.

467 - She-Hulks: Hunt for the Intelligencia - Lyra gets to attend high school in an attempt to have a normal life. Jen, Lyra and Bruce team up to track down the Mad Thinker, Wizard and their cronies. This was a fun series and it's too bad that it got downgraded from an ongoing to a miniseries.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

468 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Run - This series deals with a villain on the run and was okay.

469 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance - A Japanese young super team is exploited commercially. Kind of pretty to look at, but shallow storywise.

470 - Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape - Nemesis is stuck in Electric City and has to figure a way out. An interesting story that I enjoyed.

471 - Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters - The President-elect is really an evil robot and the Freedom Fighters have to stop him. I liked it, though it isn't anything really memorable.

472 - Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters: Brave New World - A continuation from the previous series, though not quite as entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

473 - Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man Fallout - A pretty good story about the aftermath of Peter Parker's death.

474 - Insurrection v3.6 - Clone workers rebel. I thought it was pretty good.

475 - Little Lulu vol. 29: The Cranky Giant and Other Stories - Stories from summer camp and Halloween. Fun stuff, as usual.

476 - Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life - A trip to a vacation planet set up as a medieval world doesn't exactly go as planned for The Doctor and Amy.

477 - Brain Boy - This book archives the entire Brain Boy series from the 60s about a young man with strong mental powers who works for a government agency. Not bad at all.

478 - Elsewhere Chronicle Book Five: The Parting - I'm really enjoying this series, but now have to wait a year for the next volume.

479 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Ultimate Collection vol. 1 - Issues 1-7 plus the Raphael one shot in a beautiful oversized hardcover. Just the excuse I needed to reread these issues for the first time in over 20 years.

480 - Mighty Samson vol. 4 - The final Archives edition in the series has a number of good stories in it.

481 - T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents vol. 1 - I wanted to like the book more, but just couldn't get into it as much as I expected. The art was pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

a new year and back to #1

1 - Cursed Pirate Girl - It was a bit odd, but I liked it

2 - Dollhouse vol. 1 - Epitaphs - I enjoyed it, but I really should get around to watching the tv show.

3 - Farscape vol. 9: War for the Uncharted Territories Part 3 - This wraps up the ongoing series from Boom. It's been fun, so I hope they publish more Farscape stories.

4 - Flash Gordon: Invasion of the Red Sword - I liked the first volume of Ardden's Flash Gordon series the best so far

5 - Guarding the Globe vol. 1 - Not as much fun as Invincible, but okay
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

6 - Rocketeer Adventures vol. 1 - A nice collection of short stories by a variety of writers and artists. Some were better than others, but overall I liked it.

7 - Fear Itself - Marvel's big event book for 2011. I wasn't that impressed.

8 - The Phantom: The Gold Key Years vol. 1
- I've enjoyed The Phantom comics for quite some time and I loved this book, which collects the first 8 issues of the Gold Key series from the 60s

9 - Doctor Who: When Worlds Collide - Another adventure with The Doctor, Amy and Rory as they travel to an amusement park world where things get out of control.

10 - My Favorite Martian vol. 1 - I've never seen the tv show, but I want to, now, after having read this collection of the first five comics based on the show.