comics

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: comics

Post by Rusty »

11 - Brothers of the Spear vol. 1 - I'd read some of the later Brothers of the Spear comics published by Gold Key in the 1970s, but never the early backups that appeared in Tarzan in the 1950s. This is a very good serial about two foster brothers, one black and one white, who are each princes of their respective tribes. Dan-El was raised among his foster brother's tribe and sets out on a quest to find out where he came from with only his brother, Natongo, as company. I enjoyed the book a lot and look forward to volume 2.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

12 - Fear Itself: Avengers - not bad.

13 - Mystery Men - A 1930s good guys vs bad guys story. It was pretty good.

14 - Preacher Book 6
- A good ending to the series.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

15 - Around the World - Three interesting tales about 19th Century adventurers who traveled around the world - Thomas Stevens by bicycle, Nellie Bly trying to beat Phileas Fogg's 80 day journey, and Joshua Slocum traveling solo by sea. All true stories and pretty entertaining.

16 - the road to god knows... - A teenage girl who has to put up with her mom's schizophrenia. The art's a bit rough, but it's a decent story.

17 - Three Thieves Book One - Tower of Treasure - A 14 year old girl acrobat and two of her circus mates try to rob the Queen's treasury and this sets them off on an adventure as they flee the Queen's Guard and search for the girl's brother. This is the start of a nice series.

18 - Three Thieves Book Two - The Sign of the Black Rock
- The trio take refuge at an inn during a storm, but find plenty of trouble there. Another good book and I look forward to the rest.

19 - Americus
- An excellent book about a boy named Neil who is growing up in a small town in Oklahoma. He only has one real friend and his friend's mother is a religious fanatic who tries to get a book series banned from the local library. Neil, starts high school and takes a stand to support the library and his favorite series of books.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

20 - Korgi vol. 2
21 - Korgi vol. 3 - A nice fantasy series about a young girl and her korgi pup who live in the woodlands. We learn a little bit more of the history of the place, but the art is paramount since the story is told without words.

22 - The Dreamer vol. 1
23 - The Dreamer vol. 2 - A girl finds herself in Revolutionary War times when she falls asleep. So now she sort of leads two lives and has two loves with a couple of centuries or so inbetween. A fairly entertaining series.

24 - Judge Anderson: The Psychic Crime Files - A collection of stories that is a bit hit or miss. Not quite up to the Judge Death standard.

25 - The Secret World of Arrietty vol. 1

26 - The Secret World of Arrietty vol. 2- This is from the Studio Ghibli film based on The Borrowers by Mary Norton. I enjoyed those books when I was growing up and this was a nice story.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

27 - A.D.D.: Adolescent Demo Division - A group of kids have been raised as game testers and are treated like superstars when they are in the real world due to their gaming ability. However, graduating to the 'next level' isn't quite what it seems as some of them soon discover. I enjoyed the book quite a bit.

28 - Dotter of her Father's Eyes
- This is part autobiography of Mary Talbot (Bryan Talbot's wife) and part biography of Lucia Joyce (James Joyce's daughter). Mary grew up in the 50s and 60s and had to deal with an easily angered father. Lucia loved to dance, but suffered from schizophrenia. I found the Talbot parts of the story more interesting, but it is a good book, overall.

29 - Fantastic Four: Season One - A retold origin of the Fantastic Four plus some of their first few adventures. I thought it was a fun book, though it doesn't necessarily break any new ground.

30 - Explorer: The Mystery Boxes
- A collection of short stories from Kazu Kibuishi and friends. Not bad, but not as good as Kibuishi's solo books and the earlier Flight books.

31 - Xombi - The short series is collected here in a pretty entertaining volume. It's too bad that the series got cut short.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

32 - Judge Dredd: Crusade - Judges from a variety of Mega-Cities converge on Antarctica where a long lost judge crash lands after claiming to have seen God while on a space mission. The lead story is fun. The backup, not so much.

33 - Amazing Spider-Man: Spider Island Companion - This wasn't nearly as good as the main Spider Island story. Some of the art was pretty bad. The Spider-Girl story and Spider-Woman story were decent.

34 - Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol. 1 - The origin story for the new Spider-Man, Miles Morales. I thought it was very good and I'm looking forward to the next volume.

35 - Captain America by Ed Brubaker vol. 1 - Flashbacks to the 1940s are mixed in with current events as a former ally turned adversary returns from a dream world where he's been stuck for 70 years. I liked it, though it isn't anything really special.

36 - X-Factor: Super Unnatural - Jamie Madrox returns to the home he lived in when his parents died and meets the current residents. This relationship leads to a battle with the villain Bloodbath with a number of interesting turns along the way. Very entertaining as usual.

37 - Venom vol. 1 - Not as good as I was hoping.

38 - Space Family Robinson Archives vol. 3 - More adventures with Craig, June, Tim and Tam Robinson as they try to find their way home. Still lots of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

39 - Afrika - Dario Ferrer is the guardian of a Tanzanian wildlife preserve. When a European journalist shows up, Dario reluctantly agrees to show her around the preserve. Along the way they have to deal with a group of poachers and also see something that could get them killed. A very nice book. I'm looking forward to Dark Horse's Jeremiah Omnibus series, which is also by Hermann.

40 - X-Men/FF - Not very good. I shouldn't have bothered with it.

41 - Spider-Man: Flying Blind - Another good volume of Spidey. I especially liked the crossover with Daredevil.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

42 - The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman
43 - The World of Flashpoint Featuring Wonder Woman
44 - The World of Flashpoint Featuring Batman
45 - The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash
46 - The World of Flashpoint Featuring Green Lantern
- Flashpoint was an interesting series of interconnected miniseries. I liked some of the new takes on the characters. Some of the minis were better than others, but overall an interesting special event.

47 - X-Men: Season One - I'd say that Marvel is 2 for 2 so far with this new line of graphic novels. While not breaking any new ground really, I thought the story was pretty entertaining.

48 - Pete and Miriam
- The story of two best friends who grew up in New Jersey in the 70s and 80s. The volume contains stories from various stages of their lives. I enjoyed it, though the vignettes from their younger days were more interesting than the older ones.

49 - Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman vol. 1 - This book was okay, though not as much fun as Hickman's FF run.

50 - Doctor Who vol. 3: It Came from Outer Space - More entertaining tales of the 11th Doctor.

51 - The Stuff of Legend Book 3: A Jester's Tale - It wasn't bad.

52 - The Phantom: The Charlton Years Vol. 1 - I've liked the Phantom for a long time and have many of these old issues, but it's nice to have a chance to read them all sequentially.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

53 - Gone to Amerikay - A nice graphic novel from Vertigo that takes place mostly in New York in 1870, 1960 and 2010. The 1870 story is about an Irish immigrant woman and her daughter. The 1960 story is about a young immigrant man who wants to be a Broadway actor, but doesn't have much success. Their stories eventually intertwine with the 2010 story serving more as a framing story. It all comes together nicely and the art is excellent.

53 - Ultimate Comics X-Men vol. 1
- In the post-Ultimatum world, mutants are looked upon even less kindly than before. Therefore we have Kitty Pryde, terrorist. She's mainly just trying to survive along with Johnny Storm and Bobby Drake, but events occur that draw her to a larger stage. A decent book, but nothing really special.

54 - Uglies: Shay's Story - I haven't read the novels that this book ties in to, but it was a good story, especially the first half of it. In this world, people are Uglies who are surgically operated on when they turn 16 to turn them in to Pretties. A change in their personalties also seems to occur at that time. There are also a few humans who live in the wild.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

55 - Legion: Secret Origin - Not a bad series, though it doesn't really break any new ground that hasn't been covered many times before. Still, it was entertaining enough.

56 - Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes - A group of Legionnaires on their way back to the 31st Century and a party beaming down from the USS Enterprise end up on an alternate Earth that is even worse than the Mirror Universe Earth. An interesting crossover, though a bit of a strange mix, too.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

57,58,59,60 - Summer Science Camp Mysteries vol. 1-4

61 - Hellcyon - A decent miniseries. I think that it was stupid of Dark Horse to not publish the last issue of the miniseries, but published it only in the trade. Maybe sales were a factor.

62 - Shooters - A Vertigo miniseries about an injured veteran who has difficulty getting readjusted to civilian life. Not bad.

63 - Daredevil Season One - Another good Season One volume.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

One of the comments on this post explains why batman cant kill the joker and vice versa....

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... he/c4nknrf
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I havent listened to this but it is hosted by the guy who does the WoW podcast I listen to http://frogpants.com/comicdorks/
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I listened to some of it and it is pretty interesting.

I'm so busy with school that I'm falling behind again. It's only been a month or so, but I can just picture the pile in June if it continues.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

You should see my pile of unread comics....