Re: comics

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

oops... someone get punched hard?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

A few someones, but probably even moreso in World War Hulk once he got back to Earth.
Hella
Posting Alot
Posting Alot

Post by Hella »

Have either of you picked up Marvel 1985? There is only one issue out so far, but it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8731
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Hella wrote:Have either of you picked up Marvel 1985? There is only one issue out so far, but it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8731
I decided not to pick it up, but may check out the trade paperback when it comes out.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I didnt know about it :(
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I've been playing catch up on my comics lately. Here's what I've read over the last few days:

Abe Sapien The Drowning #1-5 - Abe gets his first solos assignment sans Hellboy in 1981 and it turns out to be more difficult than expected. An excellent series spinning off from Hellboy.

Astonishing X-Men #19-24 and Giant Size 1 - This arc wraps up the Whedon run on Astonishing in satisfactory fashion. It was a good story, though I think the best part of Whedon's run was the first 6 issue story with Colossus. There were plenty of good parts in these issues, though.

Bat Lash #1-6 - This series gives the origin of Bat Lash and it was very entertaining. Plus it was written by Sergio Aragones. I'd love to see an ongoing series which could serve as a slightly more lighthearted companion to Jonah Hex

Battlestar Galactica Origins #1-4 - The backstory of Gaius Baltar is fleshed out in a decent story. I like how Dynamite is filling in some of the cracks in the Battlestar Galactica universe.

BPRD 1946 #1-5 - Odd things are afoot in Berlin as the early history of BPRD gets fleshed out. As with Abe Sapien, the Hellboy spinoff series are very well done and might be more entertaining than the regular Hellboy features themselves.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #12-15 - Wolves at the Gate was a nice story with Buffy exploring new territory, the return of Dracula and a funny battle between Dawnzilla and ... I've been consistently entertained by Season 8 so far.

Classic Battlestar Galactica #1-5 - I thought the creators did a decent job capturing the feel of the original series. I hope Dynamite has plans to continue this series eventually.

Countdown to Mystery #1-8 - I'm not a fan of Eclipso, though this story was okay. I enjoyed the Doctor Fate story and thought it was pretty good.

Gotham Underground #1-9 - A battle develops between various factions in Gotham's underground. Batman goes to investigate in his Matches Malone guise. This story wasn't bad, but I had higher expectations for it that it didn't quite live up to.

Return of the Gremlins #1-3 - This miniseries is based on characters created by Roald Dahl during WWII. It centers around the grandson of the original RAF pilot who comes to sell his grandfather's house after his grandfather's death, but discovers the house has other residents. A nice story that would probably make an excellent cartoon.

Robert Jordan's New Spring #1-5 - This adaptation of the Wheel of Time story seems to have stalled with no new issues in a long time. I really enjoyed the original novella, but haven't read the fleshed out version. This adaptation (of the novel apparently) moves very slowly and would probably have benefited from being condensed a bit. The art is good, though, and the production is excellent.

Salvation Run #1-7 - Send the DC Universe villains to a faraway planet and let them fend for themselves. Is this DC's answer to Secret Wars? The book had potential, but I thought it was kind of boring. I liked the Catwoman crossover issues much more than the regular series.

Serenity Better Days #1-3 - The Serenity crew gets a bit of good luck, but can it last. I liked this miniseries a lot more than the first miniseries. It captured the feel of the show pretty well and I'm looking forward to the next mini.

Zerokiller #1-3 - An okay adventure, but nothing really special. The series seems to be over, though it would probably benefit from being fleshed out more over a period of time and issues.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Dear god man!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I've still got a few more miniseries to go and then I'll be caught up. I'm hoping to get finish tomorrow before leaving for Chicago on Friday.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I'm not quite caught up, but I'm close:

Local #1-12 - This series follows a wayward youth named Megan McKeenan as she travels through many cities, unable to form close attachments and settle in one place. Each issue takes place in a different city. This is a very nice series and is best experienced as a whole. There will be a hardcover collection coming out in a couple of months.

Madame Mirage #1-6 - A mysterious woman is targeting a criminal organization and is using advanced tech to confuse and elude her foes. I thought this was a very entertaining miniseries and I hope there will be more coming.

Star Trek TNG: Intelligence Gathering #1-5 - There seems to be a plot afoot involving the Romulans and sabotage on a couple of starships. I thought this series was okay, but not as good as some of the other Star Trek books that IDW has published.

Star Wars: Dark Times #6-10, Legacy #20-22, Rebellion #11-14 - I've really been enjoying Dark Horse's various Star Wars titles. Only Rebellion features characters such as Luke, Leia, etc., but all of the series have been entertaining. Rebellion is set after the first Star Wars movie, Legacy is set about 130 years later, and Dark Times is set after Revenge of the Sith.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

X-Statix #1-26 and Dead Girl #1-5 - I initially pieced together these sets because I like Mike Allred's art. I ended up also appreciating the humor of the series, though it took a few issues to really get into it. Now I guess I'll track down those X-Force issues that preceded X-Statix.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Have they replaced Captain America yet, I thought bucky was supposed to replace him but someone told me someone else was supposed to, or is there any word n rogers coming back?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Bucky replaced Cap a couple of issues ago. I think there is another Cap out there now, though, under the control of the Red Skull. It is supposed to be a clone or something from a story many years ago.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I hope they bring the real rogers back
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

She-Hulk #1-29 - I've been hearing good things about this title for a while, so I pieced together a run from the discount bins at Wizard World. The covers are great and the comic itself is very enjoyable. I liked it a more when Slott was writing the title, though Peter David's run is also good, just a bit more standard fare. I love the idea of a law firm using comic books as a reference library for super heroes.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I picked up the tpb for the runaways hopefully i get to reading it...