Television Favorites!

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Television Favorites!

Post by Rusty »

25 - Stargirl Season 2 - Courtney ends up in summer school in part due to her superhero activities during the first season and its effect on her grades. The big bad this season is Eclipso, a character I never liked in the comics, but he's better here in his tv incarnation. We also get the Shade. I wasn't really all that fond of the glimpses we got of the JSA in the past, though some of those were skewed through the Eclipso lens. I liked the intro of Green Lantern's daughter and it was good to see Beth get a larger role. It was a good season and I'll be back for season 3 next year.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

26 - Corner Gas Season 1 - This is a mildly amusing sitcom that takes place in a small town in Saskatchewan named Dog River. The local gas station (Corner Gas) is 60 km from the next closest gas station. The show focuses on the owner of the gas station, his parents, and his friends. I'll probably watch the other five seasons at some point.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

27 - Secrets of Sulphur Springs Season 1 - The Campbell family buys an old closed hotel called the Tremont in Louisiana and moves there from Chicago, planning to fix it up. It turns out that a girl went missing there 30 years earlier at a summer camp and the father and a local woman were also campers there at the time. Their kids, Griffin and Harper, become friends and investigate the disappearance using a method of time travel they discover. It was a fun show and I'm looking forward to the second season.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

28 - What If...? Season 1- I found myself underwhelmed with this show. There were good parts in a number of the episodes and I liked the party Thor episode, but mostly I found it kind of dull.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

29 - Hanna Season 3 - The final season wrapped things up pretty well and was a good season, but I don't think it was as good as the first two.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

30 - The Beatles: Get Back (2021) - As a Beatles fan, this was a lot of fun. There was some excess with multiple takes of songs, but it was nice to see the creative process as sings evolved, the relationships between the band members, and much more. I'd watch about an hour at a time over the past week and it was very enjoyable.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

31 - Lockie Leonard Season 1 - Lockie is a 12 year old surfer who moves to the town of Angelus with his family when his father accepts the job there as police chief. He has to make new friends and find his place in the town. This is a nice family show with plenty of humor mixed in with a bit of drama.

32 - The Genie from Down Under Season 2
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1 - Doctor Who Season 13 - This season started out okay with the first couple of episodes, but I thought it got pretty bad in the third episode, before slowly improving and getting good in the last couple of episodes. Inconsistent, but more good than bad.

Doctor Who: Eve of the Daleks Special - This follows on the heels of Season 13 and was a good episode, but didn't really feel like a special episode, even though it took place on New Year's Eve. It did have a nice ending as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

2 - La Brea Season 1 - A giant sinkhole opens up in Los Angeles at the La Brea tarpits. A number of cars and people are sucked through and find themselves in the distant past. They have to find a way to survive in that era as the people in the present try to find a way to rescue them. A number of mysteries pop up along the way. This is another in the Lost, Manifest, etc. genre and isn't great, but it is watchable. I'll probably stick around for the second season.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

3 - Foundation Season 1 - I've been a fan of Asimov for over 30 years and have read the Foundation trilogy three times so far. I do like the later books in the series more and like the Robot books even more. I really hope that this series is successful long term and somebody decides to make an adaptation of Caves of Steel and the rest of the Robot stories. They made a lot of changes here which were clearly necessary to make the story work in television. Gender swapping a few characters and adding romance makes a lot of sense and was done pretty well. I liked both Gaal Dornick and Salvor Hardin, the two female lead characters, and think the actresses who played them did a nice job. I think the first season was a very good start and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

4 - Space Cases Season 1 (1996) - Five teens from various races, their teacher and principal, and a humanoid robot are stranded on a large spaceship. Jewel Staite plays a rainbow haired girl from Saturn. George Takei has a small role as a villain in a couple of episodes, though he is under heavy makeup.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Going Postal (2010) - This mini-series is pretty faithful to Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel and was very entertaining. I think it is the best of the three adaptations that appeared a decade or so ago and the cast is very good. It's too bad that The Watch tv show couldn't have been this good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

5 - Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (1993) - Lauren Hewett stars as X, the pre-teen family organizer on the planet Zyrgon. She helps her family to flee the planet after her father is caught rigging the lottery for the 27th time. They hide out on Earth and start to become acclimated to life there, though the authorities from Zyrgon are still looking for them. Jeffrey Walker plays her brother, though he is probably better known for Round the Twist, Ocean Girl, and Thunderstone.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

6 - Star Trek Discovery Season 3 (2020) - A few new faces and plenty of familiar faces here in the third season. While I don't think it reached the level of the second season, it was still very entertaining and I like the place where they ended up. I'll wait for the Blu-Ray for Season 4, but am looking forward to it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

7 - The Chronicle (2001) - A New York City tabloid focuses on the weird and the strange, but a new reporter finds that it is all true. I watched this series when it first aired. It's decent genre tv. It's too bad that it didn't get a second season. It was kind of interesting to see Octavia Spencer in a recurring role.