Television Favorites!

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Television Favorites!

Post by Rusty »

6 - Doom Patrol Season 1 - I've never been a big fan of the Doom Patrol comics, though I've collected them in the past. This is a very cool show, though, and the performances were excellent.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

7 - Undone Season 1 - Alma is a 28 year old woman who gets into a car crash and finds that she has the ability to send her consciousness through time. She uses it to try and figure out why her father was killed when she was a little girl. I thought that it was really well done and the actors did a great job, especially Rosa Salazar. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

8 - The Expanse Season 4 - This show continues to be excellent. Some of the action takes place on or near New Terra as James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante investigate the protomolecule and try to keep two groups of settlers from killing each other. More action takes place on Mars as Sergeant Bobbie Draper finds herself out of a job and finds that Mars is not like it used to be. There is also the election of the new Secretary General and the search for a Belter terrorist.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

9 - Stumptown Season 1 - This adaptation of the Greg Rucka comic is very well done and is one of my favorite shows from 2019-2020. Cobie Smulders really captures Dex Parios, the Portland private detective dealing with PTSD from her time in military intelligence in Afghanistan. The supporting cast is top notch and the action and humor have a really nice balance. I really hope that this gets renewed for a second season.

10 - The Pacific - I've been meaning to watch this for the past decade, but never got around to it. I thought it was excellent. Band of Brothers is a lot better, but that doesn't taken anything away from this series. The war in the Pacific was brutal, though I guess all war is.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

11 - The Tick (2016) Season 1 - I've read a few Tick comics over the years, but never consistently. I'd like to read the whole run some day. This was a nice adaptation and was pretty funny.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

12 - The Tick (2016) Season 2 - This was another fun season. It's too bad that the series did not get renewed for a third season.

13 - Good Omens - This was pretty funny and very well done. A very good adaptation of the book.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

14 - Magicians Season 5 - This season was a bit different with Quentin gone, but I still enjoyed it. I'm sorry that it is ending and there won't be a season 6, but at least it ended fairly well.

15 - Miracle Workers: Dark Ages - The second season of Miracle Workers takes the main cast from season 1 and puts them into new roles in the middle ages. The action takes place in a small town ruled by a self centered and cruel king with an ineffectual son (Daniel Radcliffe). The show is still a comedy, but I thought that the tone was quite a bit different with less of the frenzy from the first season. It was a very good season and I look forward to the show (hopefully) continuing.

16 - Tales from the Loop Season 1 - This show takes place in an alternate 1980s town where The Loop is the big company. The Loop is a mysterious scientific research firm that has been around for decades. Scattered around town are old robots and pieces of technology. The series has a pretty slow pace and lots of moody music, but I found it to be pretty interesting. A background character in one episode might take center stage in the next, though the stories will often connect in some way. Comparisons will probably be made to Black Mirror, but the episodes here do go together to form an overall story over the course of the season, though there are tons of things left unanswered. I hope it gets a second season. The show is inspired by an artbook from a Swedish artist.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

17 - Hanna Season 1 - A secret CIA project in Romania involves genetic manipulation on infant girls to create better soldiers. A rogue agent rescues one of the girls and raises her in the deep forest for 15 years where he trains her to be a top fighter. When the girl ventures out into the world, CIA forces seek to capture her and her father. This is based on a film from 2011 and I thought it was very entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

18 - Vexed Season 1 - This is a detective comedy starring Tobey Stephens and Lucy Punch as a mismatched pair of detectives. Jack Armstrong is lazy and prone to making inappropriate remarks while Kate Bishop is more of a by the book detective. They have decent chemistry and I enjoyed the show, though I've heard that the second season goes downhill a lot after Lucy Punch leaves the show.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

19 - Manifest Season 2 - I thought that the second season was pretty good. It's no Lost, but it is fairly entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

20 - Carnival Row Season 1- Philo is an Inspector in the Burgh and he is one of the few who treats the Fae fairly and with respect. He investigates a murder of a once famous Fae singer and other murders that follow. His past catches up with him in the form of his former lover, Vignette Stonemoss who is newly arrived in town. I thought that this was a fun series and where they go in season 2 should be interesting.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

21 - Half Moon Investigations Season 1 - Fletcher Moon is a 13 year old detective who teams up with a couple of friends to investigate crimes at his school. This is an adaptation of the Eoin Colfer book and was pretty entertaining. Too bad that they didn't continue beyond one season.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

22 - Black Books Season 1 - This is still a fun series. I originally watched it back in 2008 and am revisiting it now on Amazon Prime.

I also started watching the first season of the original Star Trek remastered episodes. I've never watched the series in broadcast order before so this should be interesting.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

23 - A Bit of Fry and Laurie Season 1 - Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie star in this series which features a number of sketches, wordplay, satire, breaking the fourth wall and so on. It wasn't bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

24 - Star Trek Season 1 - I loved watching reruns of Star Trek in syndication back in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I don't think that I've watched a full episode of the show since that time, though, until now. I just got done watching the remastered versions of the first season. This is also the first time that I've watched the episodes in the order that they were originally broadcast.

While there are a couple of episodes that aren't as good, this is a very solid season with 29 episodes and many classics, including City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror, The Corbomite Maneuver, The Menagerie, Space Seed, The Naked Time and others. Watching these was a lot of fun.