Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
51 - The Monster Squad (1987) - 7.5/10 - The Universal monsters are back and searching for an amulet that will allow them to take over the world. A group of kids who call themselves The Monster Squad stand in their way. For some reason, I never watched this movie back when it came out or in the 35 years since. It was fun.

:710:
52 - The Student of Prague (1913) - 7/10 - I liked this a lot more than the 1926 remake.

53 - The Time of Their Lives (1946) - 7.5/10 - Lou Costello plays a tinker during the Revolutionary War who is wrongly killed as a traitor along with a woman (Marjorie Reynolds). Their ghosts are left to haunt a mansion from then on until proof of their innocence comes to light. Bud Abbott plays a contemporary and his descendant. This didn't really have the typical Abbott and Costello type of humor, but was still a fun movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

54 - Nope (2022) - 7/10 - I had high hopes for this film when I first heard about it and almost went to see it in the theater. I think that I might have enjoyed it more if I had. There were a number of things that I liked, but I thought the film kind of dragged at times and I was a bit bored with it as well.The effects, cinematography, and sound were all good. I liked Keke Palmer a lot more than Daniel Kaluuya in this one.

:610:
55 - Shock Waves (1977) - 6/10 - Fishermen find a young woman drifting in a rowboat. She's almost dead, but her story appears in an extended flashback that covers most of the rest of the picture. She was on vacation on a ship that ended up shipwrecked on an island with underwater Nazi zombies. The story gets a bit repetitive, but I still liked it overall. Peter Cushing has a small role as a Nazi commander.

56 - Tarantula (1955) - 7/10 - A small town doctor becomes suspicious when a research scientist's assistant is found dead from a disease that should have taken much longer to develop. The scientist has been doing research out in the desert that leads to a number of problems. The film definitely delivers on the title. John Agar (as the local doctor) and Mara Corday (as the new assistant who comes to town) were personable and have pretty good chemistry.

57 - The Blob (1958) - 7/10 - Two teenagers out for a drive (Steve McQueen and Aneta Corsaut) encounter an old man with a strange creature attached to his hand. They take him to a doctor, but the creature starts growing, devouring those that it encounters. I can see why this was a popular drive-in movie back in the day.

58 - The Devil-Doll (1936) - 7/10 - Mrs. Doubtfire takes revenge on the three men who did 'her' wrong. A man who was falsely convicted of robbery and murder escapes from prison and uses method he learned from a scientist he met in prison to shrink people, turning them temporarily into dolls, and making them do his bidding. The man disguises himself as an old woman to evade capture and to get close to his targets.

:510:
59 - The Invisible Ray (1936) - 5/10 - A new radioactive element is discovered that has the power to heal and the power to kill depending on how it is used. One of the scientists who discovered the element is driven mad by it and seeks to kill the others involved. I thought it was a fairly dull film, even with Karloff and Lugosi.

60 - Memoria (2021) - 7.5/10 - A Scottish woman living in Colombia starts hearing a strange sound that others don't seem to hear. The film is very slow and meditative and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

:5510:
61 - Three Crowns of the Sailor (1983) - 5.5/10 - A sailor encounters a student who just killed his professor. He offers him a berth on his ship, but it will cost him three Danish crowns plus listening to the sailor's story. I didn't find the film all that interesting.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:810:
62 - A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) - 8/10 - A traveling tax collector/scholar runs out of money so he spends the night in an old abandoned temple that is home to ghosts who want to feed on the living. He meets a beautiful woman there as well as a Taoist swordsman. The romance, comedy, and adventure were all well balanced and fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:6510:
63 - Black Sheep (2006) - 6.5/10 - When an experiment from a genetics lab is loosed by an animal activist, the local sheep turn deadly. A decent horror comedy from New Zealand.

64 - Body Snatchers (1993) - 7.5/10 - The third take on this classic science fiction/horror story is pretty good. I still prefer the first version, but this one and the 1978 version aren't far behind.

65 - Chopping Mall (1986) - 7/10 - A large shopping mall is set to debut their new high tech robot security guards. However, a lightning storm causes them to go haywire their first night and they start killing off the people who are there after hours, including a group of young people who are having a party in one of the stores. It was fun.

66 - Die, Monster, Die! (1965) - 7/10 - When a man goes to visit his girlfriend at her parent's estate, the villagers want nothing to do with helping him find the place and things seem pretty creepy when he does arrive. The father (Boris Karloff) is secretive and confined to a wheelchair. The mother is bedridden and hides behind a gauze curtain. Only the daughter seems normal.

67 - Fiend Without a Face (1958) - 6.5/10 - Residents near a US Air Force base in Canada are upset because they think the base is responsible for disturbances to their animals and for recent disappearances. An officer is assigned to investigate. The movie wasn't too bad, except that I thought the design for the creatures wasn't that great.

68 - The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936) - 7/10 - Boris Karloff stars as a scientist who has perfected a method of exchanging minds between two subjects. However, he is laughed at by his peers and his benefactor threatens to destroy his work and blackball him, This drives him crazy and he uses his machine for his own benefit.

69 - The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) - 6.5/10 - British archeologists have discovered the tomb of Genghis Khan. Dr. Fu Manchu (Boris Karloff, who certainly appeared in a ton of films) wants Genghis Khan's mask and scimitar for his own purposes. The film was vilified for its racism, but other than that is entertaining enough, even with a somewhat nonsensical plot.

70 - The Stone Tape (1972) - 6.5/10 - A research team sets up shop in an old mansion that is supposed to be haunted. They find evidence of a new recording medium for the paranormal. It was okay.

71 - Trancers (1984) - 7/10 - A cop is sent back from the future to stop a criminal who traveled back there to eliminate the ancestors of those in charge in the future. It's a fun low budget film that I enjoyed quite a bit. The sequels don't seem to be as highly regarded, but I'll probably check at least the next couple out eventually.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

72 - Cemetery of Splendour (2015) - 7/10 - This is the fourth movie I've watched this month from director Apichatpong Weerasethakul. His style is pretty easy to recognize. I thought there were a lot of interesting visuals and I found the movie to be somewhat relaxing, but I can see where the languid pace could definitely be seen as a negative. The story is less interesting (a sleeping sickness among soldiers and one nurse befriending a goddess). I like the film, but it definitely won't be one of my favorites.

73 - Bacurau (2019) - 8/10 - Bacurau is a small and remote Brazilian town whose matriarch, Carmelita, has recently passed away at the age of 94. The town gathers to celebrate her life and to mourn. Soon after, strange things start happening such as the town disappearing from online maps and a couple of strangers on motorbikes riding through town. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

74 - 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) - 7/10 - A rocket returning from the first manned mission to Venus (which had been kept secret from the public) crashes in the Mediterranean near Sicily. One survivor is rescued, but there was another passenger as well - a specimen of a native creature from Venus that grows very quickly in Earth's atmosphere. A decent science fiction film with a stop motion creature.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

75 - It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) - 6.5/10 - A rescue ship picks up the only survivor of the first manned mission to Mars. They suspect that he killed his crewmates so that he could survive longer. Unfortunately, the rescue ship also brings back an unknown and deadly hitchhiker.

76 - The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - 7/10 - A bomb test in the Arctic awakens a creature that had been frozen in the ice. It slowly makes its way to New York City, wreaking havoc along the way. Another nice 1950s creature feature.

:410:
77 - The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962) - 4/10 - A doctor who specializes in transplants is in an accident with his girlfriend in which she is decapitated. He is able to keep her head and brain alive using his expertise and starts searching for a woman whose body he can use to transplant his girlfriend's head. It is not a very good film.

78 - X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963) - 7/10 - Ray Milland stars as a doctor who is experimenting with drops that will allow eyes to see beyond the visible spectrum. He ends up experimenting on himself and things go well at first, but soon spiral out of control.

79 - Carnival of Sinners (1943) - 8/10 - A one handed artist arrives at a mountain inn one evening and relates his tale of a deal he made with the devil and his struggles to evade the consequences. It was a fairly familiar story, but well done.

80 - Werewolf of London (1935) - 7/10 - A botanist is in Tibet searching for a rare flower when he is bitten by a strange creature. Back home in London, he spends much of his time perfecting a method to create artificial moonlight and also trying to cure his new affliction.

81 - Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) - 8/10 - Baron Frankenstein has been experimenting with when the soul leads the body. However, Frankenstein really plays only a peripheral role in this story. Instead, the focus is on a young man whose father was executed for murder when he was a boy and the woman that he loves who is tormented by three young aristocratic scions due to her scarring. It was pretty entertaining.

82 - Humanoids from the Deep (1980) - 5/10 - Salmon with an artificial growth hormone that escaped from a cannery lead to mutated humanoid fish killing people in a fishing village and raping the women. It's a pretty dumb movie overall.

83 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) - 8/10 - Peter Cushing stars as Victor Frankenstein with Christopher Lee as The Creature. It's a nice version of the Frankenstein story with plenty of gothic atmosphere.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

84 - The Day of the Triffids (1962) - 6/10 - A meteor shower leaves most people blind and also brings forth a deadly species of giant triffids which are able to walk and kill. It was okay.

85 - The Diabolical Dr. Z (1966) - 5/10 - Dr. Zimmer believes that he has discovered the parts of the brain that control whether somebody is good or evil. He wants to do human trials, but is ridiculed by colleagues and subsequently dies. His assistant/daughter continues with his work. Some parts were interesting, but I found quite a bit of it to be much less interesting.

86 - The Man They Could Not Hang (1939) - 7.5/10 - Boris Karloff is a scientist who has come up with a method for reviving those who have recently died. His first human experiment with a volunteer student is interrupted by police and he ends up on death row himself.

87 - The Raven (1963) - 7/10 - Peter Lorre is a magician who was turned into a raven by a sorcerer (Boris Karloff). Lorre turns to another sorcerer (Vincent Price) for help. This was a fun fantasy/horror comedy with a magical duel near the end between Karloff and Price.

88 - The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) - 7/10 - Baron Frankenstein evades execution and sets up shop in another town as Dr. Victor Stein. He continues with his experiments and plans to transplant a living brain into a new body. This wasn't quite as good as the first film in the series.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

89 - Night of the Creeps (1986) - 7.5/10 - An alien creature lands on Earth in 1959 and kills a college student, turning him into a zombie. His body is kept on ice until let out by a couple of guys pledging a fraternity decades later and the creature inside the body multiplies and spreads. I don't remember ever hearing about the movie until seeing it on the TSZDT list. It was pretty entertaining.

90 - Phantasm (1979) - 7/10 - A teenage boy sees some strange things at the local cemetery, including a tall undertaker with superhuman strength. This leads to the boy and his friends battling a supernatural being. It was decent and I can see why it has a big following.

91 - Timecrimes (2007) - 7/10 - A decent low budget film about a guy who ends up in a time machine that sends him back in time an hour or so, contributing to an unfortunate chain of events. The guy didn't seem too bright to me, but it was fairly well acted.

92 - Hocus Pocus (1993) - 7.5/10 - This is another film that I missed when it came out and hadn't seen until now. It was fun and pretty entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

93 - India Song (1975) - 5/10 - The music is nice and the setting/costumes are good, but I found much of the film itself to be pretty tedious.

94 - When the Cat Comes (1963) - 7/10 - I thought this started out pretty well. A storyteller relates the story of the cat who wore glasses to the school children and then the cat makes an appearance and people become different colors depending on their mood and what they are like. After that, the story is kind of iffy, but the music and some of the antics are still fun plus the special effects.

95 - Krakatit (1948) - 7.5/10 - A doctor and nurse treat a man with delirium caused by meningitis. The man also has injuries to his hands. Much of the rest of the film details the man's memories as they slowly return to him. He is a chemist who invented a very powerful and dangerous explosive. In his delirium, he told a colleague about it and that could have repercussions. I got a bit tired of it toward the end, but overall a pretty good film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

96 - A Time of Roses (1969) - 6/10 - A filmmaker in 2011 becomes interested in an actress who died in the mid-70s and decides to do a documentary about her. He finds and hires a woman who looks similar to the actress in order to recreate parts of the life of the actress. The film isn't all that interesting in terms of the story or acting, but the costumes and sets hold some interest.

:8510:
97 - Zazie dans le Métro (1960) - 8.5/10 - Zazie is a wild, foul mouthed 10 year old who spends a couple of days with her uncle in Paris when her mom visits her boyfriend. Zazie wants to spend her time on the metro, but it is closed due to a strike so she and her uncle travel around Paris in other ways. It's a crazy and entertaining film. Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner would be proud of the one chase scene. The visit to the the Eiffel Tower and the trip around Paris were lots of fun.

98 - Kin-Dza-Dza! (1986) - 7.5/10 - A crazy Soviet science fiction comedy about a couple of strangers who look to help a barefoot man, but wind up transported to the distant desert planet Pluke and have to find a way to get back home.

99 - The Seventh Seal (1957) - 8.5/10 - A knight returning from the Crusades plays a game of chess with Death in a bid to extend his life. We see the knight and his squire go on a journey and meet various people during the game. This was a rewatch, but it had been so long since I saw it that I had forgotten much about it. It's very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

100 - Birds, Orphans and Fools (1969) - 5/10 - Three adults (two men and a woman live together in a city affected by war. They act like fools or children much of the time. There were some interesting bits here and there, but I didn't really enjoy their antics or the film itself.

101 - Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) - 7.5/10 - Alien clowns land near a small town and start killing or capturing the residents. It was absurd, but fun.

102 - Miracles of Thursday (1957) - 8/10 - A group of prominent citizens in a small Spanish town that has seen tourism and other visitors decline over the years come up with a scheme to fake an appearance by their patron saint, San Dimas, in order to improve business in town. Their scheme has some minor success, but really gets rolling when a stranger (Richard Basehart) who seems to know all that they have been up to arrives in town.

103 - The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb (1993) - 7/10 - A tiny baby is born to a couple. They adapt and form a happy family until men in black take that boy away to a research lab where he is studied. The lab has a very weird mix of specimens/prisoners. The film is an odd mix of live action and stop motion with insects galore throughout the film.

104 - Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (1977) - 8.5/10 - Jan is a fairly boring, but successful rocket designer who lives in an apartment with his twin brother Karel, a womanizer who pilots rocket ships which carry tourists on sightseeing tours to the past. When Karel died while eating breakfast, Jan impersonates him and gets caught up in a Nazi time travel conspiracy. The film is pretty funny at times and I thought it was also very entertaining.

105 - Who Wants to Kill Jessie? (1966) - 6.5/10 - A new invention is able to project dreams onto a tv screen. However, it accidentally brings some of those characters to life. I thought it was funny how they spoke using word balloons, but that got a bit old after a while. I liked the last 15-20 minutes or so the best.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

106 - A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 7/10 - Keanu Reeves is an undercover cop who becomes addicted to the dangerous drug that he is investigating. I think the film would have worked better without the animation. The scramble suits might have been hard to do.

107 - Alice in Wonderland (1966) - 6/10 - This is an odd take on the Alice in Wonderland story. I did like the music quite a bit, but I kind of lost interest in the film after the first 15-20 minutes. Fortunately it was short.

108 - The Singing Ringing Tree (1957) - 7/10 - A prince tries to win over a spoiled princess, but she sends him in search of a tree known only in stories and he gets turned into a bear for his troubles. The sets are pretty low budget and the moral is pretty obvious, but I still found myself enjoying the film.

109 - Soylent Green (1973) - 7.5/10 - Charlton Heston stars as a New York police detective who is looking into the murder of a wealthy citizen who was on the board of the Soylent Corporation. The Earth is vastly overpopulated and food is scarce. Soylent makes much of the current food supply. Edward G. Robinson has a nice supporting role in his final film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

110 - The Stepford Wives (1975) - 7.5/10 - Joanna Eberhart is a semi-professional photographer who moves to the small town of Stepford, Connecticut with her husband and two young daughters. At first things seem good, but she soon realizes that the women in town are incredibly docile and submissive. This classic is a pretty good science fiction horror film.

111 - The Spooky Bunch (1980) - 6/10 - An opera troupe is beset by ghosts, some of whom are seeking revenge for their deaths many years earlier. There are some fun parts here and there, but I thought it was only inconsistently interesting.

112 - Zardoz (1974) - 6/10 - In the year 2293, there is a small enclave of Eternals and the rest of the populated world has uncivilized people called Brutals who are controlled by a small group of Exterminators. They worship the giant stone god Zardoz, a creation of the Eternals designed to help control the masses. The Eternals have grown bored, though, and have differing opinions on what to do when an Exterminator named Zed (Sean Connery) manages to enter their enclave. There were some interesting ideas, but overall I didn't enjoy the film all that much.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

113 - Rouge (1987) - 8/10 - A courtesan who committed suicide with her wealthy lover in 1934 so that they could spend eternity together returns as a ghost in 1987 to search for the lover who never arrived in the afterlife. She is helped in her search by a newspaperman and his girlfriend. The film has nice costumes for the period sections and while it can be a bit slow at times, I enjoyed it.

114 - After Yang (2021) - 7.5/10 - A family has to deal with the loss of their daughter's companion robot/sibling when it malfunctions and won't awaken. The father tries to get it repaired, but is only able to obtain Yang's memory bank through which he is able to gain a view into Yang's life and previous lives since they were not the first owners. The story kind of meanders, but it gives a decent glimpse into a world where robots and clones are commonplace and generally accepted. The visuals are also pretty cool.

115 - The Snow Queen (1986) - 7.5/10 - This Finnish adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale is very well done. The costumes, landscapes, sets, and performance of the lead girl are all very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

116 - Cat-Women of the Moon (1953) - 5/10 - A scientific mission to the Moon with four men and one woman lands on the dark side and discovers a really old civilization of women who wear skin tight black suits and can use mind control. It's a pretty ridiculous film, but is still watchable.

117 - O-Bi, O-Ba: The End of Civilization (1985) - 6.5/10 - After a nuclear holocaust, people are living in a crowded underground bunker that is starting to fall apart. They live in hope of an ark coming to rescue them, though this was only a rumor planted to increase morale. You do get a sense of a lived in and claustrophobic society, though I only found it intermittently interesting.

118 - Ikarie XB 1 (1963) -7.5/10 - In 2163, a scientific expedition is mounted to investigate a mysterious planet in the Alpha Centauri system. Due to relativity, they will age 28 months during the mission while quite a bit more time will pass on Earth. They encounter a number of dangers during the voyage. It's a bit slow at times, but also was also fairly well acted and interesting. The space scenes were cool and I liked their ship.

119 - Summer Time Machine Blues (2005) - 7.5/10 - The members of a scifi club are unhappy when the remote for their air conditioner stops working and they may be forced to spend the sweltering summer without the benefit of cooler air. Then a time machine appears and they concoct a plan to use it to retrieve the remote and save their summer. It takes a while for this film to really get going, but once it does, I enjoyed the overlapping timelines, quirky humor, and various characters.

:5510:
120 - The Miracle Fighters (1982) - 5.5/10 - A man thought to be the Emperor's son who was kidnapped many years earlier learns kung-fu from two elderly priests who argue a lot, but had the same teacher. There were some interesting fights and action sequences on occasion, but mostly I struggled to stay interested in the story.