Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

The Unchanging Sea (1910) - (14 minutes)
How a Mosquito Operates (1912) - (6 minutes)
The Painted Lady (1912) - (13 minutes)
Pass the Gravy (1928) - (25 minutes)
The Mothering Heart (1913) - (23 minutes)

Kino-pravda no. 1 (1922) - (11 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 2 (1922) - (11 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 3 (1922) - (8 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 4 (1922) - (10 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 5 (1922) - (8 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 6 (1922) - (7 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 7 (1922) - (12 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 8 (1922) - (15 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 9 (1922) - (14 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 10 (1922) - (16 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 11 (1922) - (18 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 13 (1922) - (37 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 14 (1923) - (14 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 15 (1923) - (22 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 16 (1923) - (27 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 17 (1923) - (16 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 18 (1924) - (14 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 19 (1924) - (18 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 20 (1924) - (16 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 21 (1925) - (33 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 22 (1925) - (20 minutes)
Kino-pravda no. 23 (1925) - (20 minutes)

Help! Help! (1912) - (8 minutes)
Pool Sharks (1915) - (10 minutes)
Suspense (1913) - (10 minutes)
The House with Closed Shutters (1910) - (11 minutes)

:810:
969 - A Face in the Crowd (1957) - 8/10 - Andy Griffith gives a strong performance as Lonesome Rhodes, a drifter who is discovered by a radio reporter (Patricia Neal) while he is in jail on a minor charge. Lonesome has some talent as a folk singer and for connecting with people. He soon has his own tv show and quickly rises in power and popularity, exposing a darker side to his character. Neal is also pretty good in her role.

:710:
970 - Withnail & I (1987) - 7/10 - Two unemployed actors take a vacation in the country and it turns out to be a challenging time. This is a comedy, but I didn't find much of it to be really that funny, though the film did have its moments.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
971 - Au Hasard Balthazar (1966) - 6/10 - The film follows the life of a donkey named Balthazar and the people around him. As a young donkey, Balthazar is lovingly cared for by a group of children. However, he soon passes into the hands of a number of different owners, many of whom are fairly cruel. The film is well made, but I didn't feel much of a connection to the characters and didn't like the story much.

972 - Contempt (1963) - 7/10 - An American producer (Jack Palance) gets a French playwright (Michel Piccoli) to rework a version of The Odyssey that Fritz Lang is directing. The playwright and his wife (Brigitte Bardot) have some marital difficulties along the way. There is some nice scenery in the film (and not just Bardot's nude body), but a lot of the relationship stuff in the middle of the film is fairly boring.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

973 - Pierrot le Fou (1965) - 7/10 - Ferdinand is tired of his wife and his life so he runs off with an old girlfriend who is herself on the run from some arms dealers. They steal a car, cause other mayhem, and travel to the Mediterranean. It's an odd film and there are a number of parts that were fairly boring, even if they looked good. There was enough in there that I liked that it wasn't a total wash, though.

:410:
974 - In the Realm of the Senses (1976) - 4/10 - A maid has kinky sex with the master in 1930s Japan, based on a true story. This wasn't really my type of thing.

975 - Dil Chahta Hai (2001) - 8/10 - Three men just out of college have been very close friends for a long time. The film follows their friendship and their romances with the women they come to love. The film has a nice mix of comedy, romance, and drama plus the songs generally add to the story rather than distracting from it. I'm not sure it had to be 3 hours long, but I enjoyed it.

976 - French Connection II (1975) - 7/10 - Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle travels to Marseilles in search of Charnier, the drug smuggler from the first film. Doyle is a stranger in a strange land. I should probably revisit the first film which I didn't like since I thought this film wasn't bad. It bogged down a bit in the middle, but was otherwise decent.

977 - A Cottage on Dartmoor (1929) - 8/10 - A an escapes from Dartmoor Prison and heads for a cottage on the moor. This leads to an extensive flashback about a jealous barber who is obsessed with a pretty manicurist who works at the barbershop. The acting is good and the camerawork and story are as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

978 - Under the Roofs of Paris (1930) - 7/10 - A street singer named Albert is interested in a Romanian immigrant named Pola. However, a local crook named Fred has designs on Pola. The film is sort of a bridge between the silent era and the talkie era and is a mix of the two. I wasn't really all that engaged with the characters for a long time, but eventually grew to like the film.

979 - The Long Good Friday (1980) - 8/10 - Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) is having a bad couple of days. He's a gangster who is trying to go legit with the help of money from a group of American mafia members. However, people in his organization are getting killed and bombings are being carried out against his people. A decent performance from Hoskins and a nice film overall.

:7510:
980 - Fan-Fan the Tulip (1952) - 7.5/10 - Fan-Fan is a lovable rogue who joins the army to escape marriage and an angry father. His misbehavior causes him to run afoul of the king, but also to earn his favor. There is plenty of action, comedy, and satire in this spoof of swashbuckling war movies. It's a fun film.

981 - Heat (1995) - 8/10 - Al Pacino is a police detective who is trying to track down the group of criminals who stole a large number of bearer bonds and left three people dead. Robert DeNiro is the leader of the criminal group that committed the theft. The two have a bit of a cat and mouse thing going as they each do their own thing. We also get to see some of their personal lives, which aren't altogether in a great place. It's a good film that I watched 25+ years ago, but didn't really remember much about.

982 - My Ain Folk (1973) - 8/10 - The second part in Bill Douglas's trilogy about his childhood sees Jamie and his half-brother Tommy separated when their grandmother dies. Jamie goes to live with his other grandmother while Tommy is sent to a welfare home. Life is pretty bleak and loveless for Jamie in his new home and he seems to rarely (if ever) speak. This isn't going to be everybody's thing, but I thought it was good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

983 - The Pearl (1947) - 7/10 - Kino and his wife live in a small Mexican fishing village with their infant son. Kino finds a valuable pearl while diving and thinks it will mean prosperity for his family, but it only means trouble as the wealthy and powerful seek to cheat him or steal his pearl. The film is shot very well, though the story lays it on a bit thick.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

984 - Le cercle rouge (1970) - 7/10 - An escaped murderer, a criminal released from prison, and a former policeman plot a jewel heist. The film has long periods with no dialogue and overall is okay, but I didn't find it that gripping a story.

985 - The Legend of 1900 (1998) - 7/10 - A down on his luck trumpet player sells his trumpet at a music store in the 1940s. He relates a tale about a man who was abandoned as a baby on board an ocean liner in 1900 and the man who took care of him included 1900 in his name. The boy lived his entire life on the ship, never setting foot on land, and was also an expert piano player, even without lessons. The movie was okay, but nothing really special.

986 - Hard Boiled (1992) - 7.5/10 - A police officer loses his partner to a group of Triads and he is determined to get even. He ends up teaming with an undercover cop who is placed as a Triad assassin. There is a ton of action and the stunts are performed very well.

987 - Shadow in the Cloud (2020) - 7/10 - Chloe Grace Moretz stars as a flight officer during WWII who boards an American bomber in the Pacific with a mysterious package that she is transporting to Samoa. Things start to go wonky even before they take off and she has to put up with the sexism and distrust of the flight crew along with a malevolent creature on the plane. It's kind of crazy, but it's also fun.

988 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) - 7/10 - A decent adaptation of the classic Robert Louis Stevenson tale.

989 - The Penalty (1920) - 7.5/10 - Lon Chaney stars as Blizzard, a mob boss in San Francisco whose legs were mistakenly amputated when he was a child. He has two goals - to get even with the doctor who crippled him and to recruit men to go on a massive crime spree throughout the city. Chaney is pretty convincing in his role and went the extra mile to make us think that he was indeed an amputee.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

990 - The Ten Commandments (1923) - 7/10 - The first part of the picture adapts part of Exodus from the bible and is fairly well done. The sets and costumes are good, though the story is somewhat abridged. The second half is a modern day morality play about an uptight religious mother who has one son who follows her teachings and another son who is an atheist determined to break the rules and get rich. It's less interesting and not particularly subtle. It was a good decision to ditch that and expand on the biblical story for the remake.

991 - Waxworks (1924) - 7.5/10 - A poet is hired by the owner of a wax museum to write stories about his new acquisitions - the caliph from Arabian Nights, Ivan the Terrible, and Spring Heeled Jack. The caliph story was my favorite, but this was a nice early horror anthology.

992 - The Lost World (1925) - 8/10 - A professor is mocked when he tells the people at a conference that dinosaurs are not extinct and live on in a remote location in the Amazon rainforest. He mounts an expedition there to rescue an explorer who was left behind at that location and to bring proof of the existence of the creatures. This is a pretty entertaining film and the special effects were very good for the time.

993 - The Student of Prague (1926) - 6/10 - I guess the moral of this story is to never make a deal with the devil, not even to impress a girl. I liked the ending of the film plus a few earlier scenes, such as when Balduin makes his deal, but much of the film was kind of tedious to watch.

994 - The Cat and the Canary (1927) - 7.5/10 - Cyrus West died 20 years ago and his relatives gather at his old mansion as stipulated in his will. Hijinks ensue with secret passages, murder, an escaped maniac, and so on. This comedy horror film was fun to watch. Mammy Pleasant was my favorite character in the bunch.

995 - The Mysterious Lady (1928) - 8/10 - Greta Garbo stars as a Russian spy who steals secret plans from Austria, but falls in love with the Austrian captain (Conrad Nagel) that she used as a patsy. This has harsh consequences for him, but causes her difficulties as well. It's a nice romance.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

996 - Piccadilly (1929) - 8/10 - Valentine Wilmot (Jameson Thomas) runs the Piccadilly Club and his girlfriend is one of the headline dancers. When business declines, he hires a young Chinese woman (Anna May Wong) to dance in the club. I thought the camerawork was excellent and the performances from Wong and Thomas were also very good. This is a silent film, but there is also a prologue that was filmed later which uses sound.

997 - The Blue Angel (1930) - 7/10 - An older high school teacher (Emil Jannings) doesn't have the respect of many of his students. They play pranks on him and some of them spend time at a local cabaret. When the teacher visits the cabaret to try and keep his students away from there, he falls for a popular performer (Marlene Dietrich) and this leads to a downward spiral for him. It's a decent film, but I didn't like it as much as expected.

:6510:
998 - Drácula (1931 Spanish version) - 6.5/10 - This was a decent adaptation and I actually liked it a little bit more than the English version.

999 - The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - 7.5/10 - A well known hunter is shipwrecked on an island surrounded by deadly reefs. He finds himself the guest of the mysterious Count Zaroff along with survivors of earlier wrecks. It turns out that Count Zaroff is a big hunter himself, though he prefers to hunt a different sort of game. This is a nice film that accomplishes what it sets out to do in a very quick manner.

1000 - Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) - 7.5/10 - A reporter (Glenda Farrell) looking into missing corpses connects them to a new wax museum that is opening. The picture looks great with its two strip Technicolor. Farrell does a very nice job in her reporter role and the film is pretty entertaining.

1001 - The Black Cat (1934) - 6/10 - A couple on their honeymoon end up sharing a train compartment together with a doctor (Bela Lugosi) on his way to meet an old acquaintance. A road accident later causes them to find shelter in an architect's home. The architect (Boris Karloff) is the old acquaintance and there are a lot more sinister things going on in the house than it may first appear. Karloff and Lugosi give decent performances, but I thought the story wasn't really that great.

1002 - The Raven (1935) - 7/10 - Bela Lugosi stars as an insane surgeon with an interest in Edgar Allan Poe and torture devices. He is approached by a judge to operate on the judge's daughter since she was injured in an accident and the judge believes that only Lugosi can help. Lugosi operates and later develops an interest in the girl. Boris Karloff comes into the picture as an escaped convict that Lugosi forces to help him as an assistant. The plot is a bit silly, but fun, and I enjoyed this a lot more than The Black Cat.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1003 - Dracula's Daughter (1936) - 7/10 - The movie starts with Van Helsing being arrested when two bodies are found with him nearby, including Dracula's body. Then Dracula's daughter shows up and she wants help to stop being a vampire, but is too weak to resist the urge to drink blood. Gloria Holden gives a nice performance in the lead role.

1004 - You Only Live Once (1937) - 7/10 - Eddie Taylor (Henry Fonda) is a three time loser who tries to go straight when he gets out of prison, but can't catch a break. The only people who seem to believe in him are the woman he loves (Sylvia Sidney) and a priest. He's later framed for a crime he didn't commit and faces the electric chair. The film isn't bad, though is kind of overly melodramatic.

1005 - Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations (1938) - 8/10 - I think this is a pretty good documentary on the 1936 Olympics and the sports footage is well done. The opening segment was interesting, but I thought it went on a bit too long.

1006 - Son of Frankenstein (1939) - 7.5/10 - Victor Frankenstein's sons shows up to claim his inheritance. He finds that Ygor is alive after a failed hanging and the monster is in a coma in a secret room. Basil Rathbone did a very nice job as Frankenstein's son and Bela Lugosi was also good as Ygor. I liked this a bit more than the original. I should go back and rewatch Bride of Frankenstein since it has been around 30 years since I last saw it.

1007 - The Devil Bat (1940) - 6/10 - Bela Lugosi stars as a mad scientist who is mad at the people in the company he works for since he took a $10,000 payment instead of a share of the profits and they all got rich off of one of his inventions. He takes revenge with specially engineered giant devil bats and an aftershave lotion that he created which attracts the bats. It's a low budget affair, but is still fairly entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1008 - The Wolf Man (1941) - 7.5/10 - Lon Chaney Jr. stars as an estranged son who returns to his family's estate after his brother dies. He tries to romance a young woman who lives nearby, though she is engaged to another. He also gets bitten by a werewolf. Tough luck, that. The atmosphere and sets are pretty nice and it's a decent, fast paced film.

1009 - The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) - 6/10 - The villagers think they are under Frankenstein's curse so they destroy his castle, though that action frees the monster (Lon Chaney Jr. this time around). Ygor (Bela Lugosi) takes the monster on a road trip to visit Frankenstein's second son in hopes of getting a new brain for the monster. Not as good as the earlier entries in the series, but watchable enough.

:5510:
1010 - Son of Dracula (1943) - 5.5/10 - Count Alucard (Lon Chaney Jr.) is brought to the U.S. by a woman interested in the occult. Strange things start happening after Alucard arrives and the woman ends up marrying him, even though she has a long time boyfriend. The film is shot well enough, but I thought the story was lacking and the film overall is pretty mediocre.

1011 - The Curse of the Cat People (1944) - 8/10 - The husband from Cat People has remarried and has a six year old daughter named Amy. Amy has an active imagination and sometimes gets caught up in her own world which annoys the other children. She is befriended by an aging actress who stays shut up in her large home and also by the ghost of her father's first wife, Irena. This film features a number of nice performances and is a good psychological drama.

1012 - House of Dracula (1945) - 6/10 - Dracula and the Wolf Man each seek a help from a doctor who specializes in curing rare diseases. They hope that he can find a way to cure them as well. The doctor works toward that end, but becomes afflicted as well. Frankenstein's monster makes a couple of brief appearances as well. The monster is kind of a nonsensical throw in. The main story is a bit lame, but okay.

1013 - Bedlam (1946) - 8/10 - In 1761, Nell Bowen (Anna Lee) finds the way inmates at St. Mary's of Bethlehem are treated. She tries to get reforms instituted, but finds herself blocked by the head of the institute (Boris Karloff). Lee and Karloff each give very good performances in a very nice drama.

1014 - Brute Force (1947) - 7.5/10 - Burt Lancaster is one of a group of inmates at a prison who are planning an escape, in part due to the harsh and sadistic way they are treated by the guard captain (Hume Cronyn) and his cronies. The warden and prison doctor are against this sort of treatment, but are too weak to do anything about it. We also get the back story of how Lancaster and other inmates ended up in prison. Cronyn is really good and the film is pretty solid, though not quite up to some of Dassin's other films like The Naked City and Rififi.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1015 - They Live by Night (1948) - 6/10 - A 23 year old (Farley Granger) escapes from prison with two other inmates. While on the lam, he falls for the niece of one of the men he escaped with (Cathy O'Donnell). The two go off on a cross country trip to try and evade capture. I wanted to like the film more, but I thought the lead performance were pretty flat and uninteresting. The film is pretty dull as a result, though not totally without merit.

1016 - A Hometown in Heart (1949) - 8/10 - Do-seong is an eight year old boy being raised in a Buddhist temple after being abandoned there by his mother when he was three. He dreams of his mother returning and of playing with the other boys in the area, but his life is filled with work, reciting, praying, etc. He becomes attached to a young widow who is visiting the temple and hopes that he will be able to leave the temple. It is nicely acted, especially by the boy in the lead role.

1017 - Orpheus (1950) - 8/10 - In this modern version of the classic tale, Orpheus is a famous poet whose life changes when a young rival poet is killed and Orpheus becomes involved with Death and her henchmen. His wife Eurydice also becomes involved. The special effects here were interesting. I grew to like the movie more as it went along.

1018 - Diary of a Country Priest (1951) - 7.5/10 - A young priest is assigned to a small parish in France. The priest has stomach problems and lives on bread and wine. He finds it difficult to connect with some of the villagers, though he does his best. Meanwhile, his stomach problems worsen. I found the practice of having him write in his diary and then switching to the visuals a bit annoying for a while, though I got used to it and I think they eased up on it some later in the film. Claude Laydu gives an excellent performance as the young priest.

1019 - The White Reindeer (1952) - 6/10 - A woman who is newly married becomes lonely when her husband (a shepherd) is away from home too much at his work. She visits a shaman for help in luring him to spend more time with her, but she gets more than she bargained for. Good winter scenery, but not the most engaging story.

1020 - House of Wax (1953) - 6/10 - Vincent Price stars in this remake of the 1933 Mystery of the Wax Museum. Price is pretty good in his role, but the film itself isn't nearly as good as the original. It lacks the original film's more frenetic pace as well as Glenda Farrell as the intrepid reporter. This film originally had a 3-D gimmick and there are obvious bits to play into that in the film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1021 - Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - 8/10 - A group goes in search of fossils along the Amazon River and ends up in the Black Lagoon which turns out to have a dangerous man-like creature living in the water. The underwater shots are pretty nice and the film keeps up a good level of suspense. It is pretty entertaining.

1022 - Revenge of the Creature (1955) - 6/10 - The Gill Man is kidnapped in the Black Lagoon and transported to a marine park where he can be studied and entertain paying customers. That doesn't go so well when he escapes. This movie is a big step back from the first one and the acting isn't that great overall, though I thought Lori Nelson was okay as the woman getting her master's degree in ichthyology. The men are kind of dated and patronizing in their attitudes, though maybe that isn't totally unexpected. The Gill Man's strength seems kind of variable throughout the film.

1023 - The Werewolf (1956) - 6.5/10 - A drifter arrives in a small town in the mountains. He can't remember his name or where he is from, but when attacked, it turns out that he can change into a werewolf. The townspeople hunt him down and his family arrives in town trying to get help for him. Some parts of the film were good, though I didn't think the werewolf design was among them. The sheriff wasn't the greatest either, but overall the film was okay.

1024 - I vampiri (1957) - 7.5/10 - A nice little film about a series of murders of young women who are found with their blood drained. A reporter is on top of the story and is trying to crack the case. There is plenty of atmosphere and a nice aging effect.

1025 - Elevator to the Gallows (1958) - 8/10 - A man executes a perfect plan to murder his boss to satisfy his mistress who happens to be the boss's wife. Unfortunately, he has one slip-up which leads to a series of events that blows everything up. The film is very well done.

1026 - House on Haunted Hill (1959) - 7.5/10 - Frederick Loren (Vincent Price) and his wife (Carol Ohmart) invite five people to spend a night in a haunted house for $10,000. One of the guests explain how there have been a number of murders in the house. There is also a nice vat of acid in the basement plus secret rooms, spooky happenings, etc. Price is good and there is a nice level of suspense in an enjoyable film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1027 - Eyes Without a Face (1960) - 7.5/10 - A surgeon who feels guilty over his daughter's injuries in an accident kidnaps young women in order to try and fix his daughter's face. It's a good film and I liked the ending, but it didn't quite rise to a high level as I expected.

1028 - The Innocents (1961) - 8/10 - Deborah Kerr stars as a woman who is hired as a governess to care for two children on a country estate. The uncle hired her because he has no interest in caring for children, but wants to see that they are provided for. The children seem very nice and well behaved, but the governess soon becomes convinced that the estate is haunted by the ghosts of the previous governess and another former employee named Peter Quint. Is it haunted or is she going out of her mind, though. There is plenty of atmosphere and nice performances from Kerr and the two kids.

1029 - Carnival of Souls (1962) - 7/10 - Two cars filled with young people go racing down back roads and it ends with a fatal accident. One young woman miraculously survives, but feels kind of disconnected after. She leaves for an organist job in another town, but thinks she is being followed by a man and also finds herself drawn to an abandoned carnival. The film does a nice job establishing mood, especially considering the low budget.

1030 - The Haunting (1963) - 6.5/10 - Dr. Markway is investigating Hill House, which is supposedly haunted and has seen a number of deaths over its 90 years. He invites others to join him, but two women are the only ones to accept - Theo, a psychic, and Eleanor, a woman who experienced poltergeists as a child, but seems a bit unbalanced mentally. The house is sort of interesting and they work at setting the mood, but I found the story kind of pointless and not all that interesting in itself.

1031 - Onibaba (1964) - 8/10 - During feudal times in Japan, a woman lives with her daughter-in-law while her son is off fighting in a useless war. The two make their living by killing stray soldiers who wander by, dropping their bodies in a pit, and then selling the belongings they scavenged for food. Their lives change a bit when a friend of the son returns from the war and says that the son is dead. This is a nice period drama with a bit of horror thrown in.

1032 - Repulsion (1965) - 8/10 - Carol (Catherine Deneuve) is a manicurist who is often withdrawn and seems to have an aversion to men. She lives with her sister and when the sister goes off on holiday with her boyfriend, Carol's condition worsens, including nightmares and hallucinations, as her mental state deteriorates. It's a pretty good film about one woman's mental illness.

1033 - The Face of Another (1966) - 7.5/10 - A man with a badly disfigured face wears bandages to cover his head. A psychiatrist who has come up with a way to make life-like masks experiments with the man to see if he can blend into the regular world. It turns out that wearing the mask for long stretches changes his personality. The movie is very slow and talk-heavy at times so that could be a turnoff for some. The film didn't totally resonate with me, but I did like it overall.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

1034 - Viy (1967) - 7/10 - A priest is ordered to keep vigil for a few nights with the coffin of a young woman who turns out to be a witch. This is an interesting Soviet comedy/horror with decent effects. Some of the humor hits and some is pretty Soviet, but I did enjoy the film. As one commenter noted - 'coffin surfing'.

1035 - Hour of the Wolf (1968) - 6.5/10 - A painter and his pregnant wife live on a small island. He suffers from insomnia and hallucinations. Max von Sydow and Liv Ullmann each give good performances, but the film didn't really work for me as a whole, though some parts were interesting.

1036 - The House That Screamed (1969) - 7/10 - In 19th Century France, 18 year old Teresa is dropped off at a boarding school for girls. The headmistress is very strict and administers occasional beatings to girls who defy her and her rules. Some of the girls have disappeared recently and are thought to have escaped. The music adn the dreary house add to the foreboding atmosphere. I enjoyed it.

1037 - Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) - 8/10 - Valerie is a young teen close to becoming a woman. A pair of magic earrings change how she views the world. This movie is surreal and strange, but also very colorful and mesmerizing at times. Vampires, carnival folk, music, sexual awakening, etc. are all just parts of the film.

:510:
1038 - Daughters of Darkness (1971) - 5/10 - This erotic horror film didn't really do much for me, though I did like the ending.

1039 - Blacula (1972) - 7/10 - William Marshall stars as an African prince who was turned into a vampire two centuries earlier by Count Dracula who immediately dubbed him 'Blacula'. He awakens in modern day Los Angeles and soon comes across a woman who looks just like his late wife. There are some parts of the film that are corny and amusing, but I enjoyed the film and thought that Marshall did a nice job. The soundtrack and opening credits are pretty cool.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
1040 - The Wicker Man (1973) - 8.5/10 - A police officer travels by seaplane to a remote Scottish Island after a report of a missing girl. When he arrives, the people on the island deny the existence of the girl and have reverted to pagan ways. This is an excellent folk horror film with an excellent soundtrack.

1041 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974) - 6.5/10 - Sylvia is a scientist who starts to have a mental breakdown and has hallucinations about her late mother, the stepfather who abused her, her younger self, and more. People start dying around her, but is it real or part of her imagination. The music was decent and the acting was okay. I think the film wasn't bad, but could have been a whole lot better.

1042 - Deep Red (1975) - 7.5/10 - A musician and a reporter investigate the murder of a psychic and slowly unravel the reasons behind it. I thought the film was a bit slow to get going, but once it did, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The soundtrack was also pretty good. I think the scenes that were cut from the American release would have deepened my enjoyment, but I don't plan to seek it out any time soon.

1043 - The Tenant (1976) - 7/10 - Another film with a person descending into madness. Roman Polanski stars as a man looking for an apartment in France. He finds one, though the landlord and residents seem a bit particular about noise and habits. The previous tenant jumped out of her window to commit suicide and he becomes somewhat immersed in her life.

:510:
1044 - Night Journey / Yahaeng (1977) - 5/10 - A woman is trapped in a secret relationship with one of her superiors at a bank and they share an apartment. He is drunk a lot and mostly only uses her for sex. She visits home during a holiday and remembers earlier relationships. There are good bits here and there, but overall I thought it was kind of dreary and unfocused.

1045 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 7.5/10 - This remake stars Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, etc. It was well done, though I still prefer the original version.