Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
154 - Eighth Grade - 7.5/10 - The last week of eighth grade for Kayla, a girl who makes Youtube videos, but has a hard time interacting with her peers in person due to anxiety.

:810:
155 - Pride of the Marines - 8/10 - A man gets engaged just before leaving Philadelphia to become a marine after the start of World War II. He gets blinded during the Battle of Guadalcanal and when operations to try and fix his sight don't work, he becomes bitter and refuses to return home. This was a pretty good movie.

:710:
156 - Tulsa - 7/10 - Cherokee's father is accidentally killed in a dispute with an oil tycoon. She eventually decides to go into wildcatting in opposition to the tycoon, but is eventually seduced by the money and power.

157 - Despicable Me 3 - 7.5/10 - Not quite as much fun as the first two, but still entertaining.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

158 - Trio - 7.5/10 - A collection of three short features based on short stories by W. Somerset Maugham. I thought that the first two stories were more interesting than the third one, but overall it was a good film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

159 - Flight Command - 7/10 - Just prior to WW II, a young pilot graduates from the flight academy in Pensacola, Florida and is assigned to the Hellcats in San Diego. He becomes friends with his commander's wife and helps comfort her when her brother dies and her husband leaves town on Navy business. It was a decent movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

160 - Janie - 7.5/10 - This was kind of a crazy movie about a 16 year old girl who falls for a 19 year old private, but also has a local boy that she likes. The father is in over his head and the little sister steals the show. I thought the movie was fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

161 - The Horse's Mouth - 7/10 - An eccentric painter is released from prison and need money so he talks his way into a job painting a wall in a rich person's apartment. There was plenty of comedy, but it was somewhat restrained. The movie was decent.

162 - Tonight and Every Night - 7/10 - Rita Hayworth stars in this musical about a theater in London that tries not to miss a show during the Blitz. Romance and tragedy ensue.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:5510:
163 - Too Young to Kiss - 5.5/10 - June Allyson stars as a young pianist who is having trouble getting an audition so she disguises herself as a child to win a competition and gets discovered that way. I didn't think that Allyson was convincing as a child. She was in her 30s at that point. I also didn't like the story and acting that much. The adults were pretty patronizing to the 'child' even though she was supposed to be 12 or 13.

:610:
164 - That Uncertain Feeling - 6/10 - The Bakers are supposed to be a happy couple, but the wife is bored and falls for a classical pianist she meets while seeing a psychoanalyst. I just couldn't get that interested in the movie. It was rather dull.

165 - The Red Balloon - 8/10 - A short film about a boy who becomes attached to a big red balloon and takes it with him wherever he goes in Paris. It seems to be intelligent and able to follow directions, even when other boys try to take it away from him. I thought it was pretty good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

166 - The Favourite - 8/10 - This historical drama is based on the relationship between Sarah Churchill, her cousin Abigail Hill and Queen Anne in the early 1700s. It is based on history, though takes liberties of course. It is an odd movie in some respects, but is pretty stylish and funny. I think it flags a bit toward the end, but is an interesting film.

167 - A.X.L. - 7/10 - It's the old story - boy finds killer robot dog and they become friends. It wasn't all that original, but it was entertaining enough.

:610:
168 - Rock Dog - 6/10 - Bodi lives in a remote village on a mountain, but learns about rock music from a radio that falls out of a plane. He leaves for the big city to try and become a guitar player for a band. It wasn't that good of a movie, but I thought it was watchable.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

169 - Split - 8/10 - M. Night Shymalan's movie about a serial killer with 24 distinct personalities is pretty entertaining. I skipped it when it first came out, but decided to watch it after seeing Glass.

170 - The Young Victoria - 7/10 - While not a bad movie, this film about the early life of Queen Victoria through the early years of her reign seems to cover major events in her life far too quickly at times. I liked it, but think it should have been longer.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

171 - Far from the Madding Crowd (2015) - 7/10 - Bathsheba lives on a farm and is proposed to by a neighboring farmer, but declines. She inherits her uncle's large farm, is proposed to by one of her new neighbors and declines. Then she falls for a soldier and suddenly marries him. Then a number of misfortunes hit. It was an okay movie.

172 - Music in My Heart - 7/10 - A singer/actor is being deported after a show and has to be on the boat by midnight. He misses the boat and meets a girl when his taxi is in an accident on the way to a pier. A warrant is issued for him and his picture is published in the paper. Leaving out the improbability of the warrant being issued so quickly and getting into the paper, the movie was fairly entertaining.

173 - The War Against Mrs. Hadley - 7/10 - A wealthy widow feels inconvenienced when the news about Pearl Harbor disrupts her birthday party and then the war disrupts her family. Her son is drafted and her daughter marries a soldier against her wishes. It was a decent movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

174 - X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 7.5/10 - I thought it was pretty entertaining, though not as good as the other First Class films.

175 - The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean - 7/10 - The movie is a fictionalized account of Judge Roy Bean's life. It was okay.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
176 - Toy Story 4 - 8.5/10 - I thought this was very well done.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

177 - Hide-Out - 7/10 - A criminal is on the run from police and ends up in a small town where he is taken in by a family as he recovers from a gunshot wound. They don't know his history and they become very fond of him, especially the oldest daughter. It is a decent 1930s film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

178 - Green Dolphin Street - 7/10 - In 1840, a young sailor ends up in New Zealand and sends a letter home asking for the hand in marriage of the woman he loves. He accidentally writes the name of the girl's sister and she arrives in New Zealand instead of his love. He marries her anyway. It was a decent melodrama.

:6510:
179 - Toys in the Attic - 6.5/10 - Julian is the ne'er do well of the family and he returns home with $150,000 and a young wife. One of his sisters has an almost incestuous love and possessiveness for her brother and she undermines him when she discovers that he swindled the money from a tough local businessman. The movie was fairly well done, but it reminded me too much of The Glass Menagerie and Death of a Salesman which I did not like so I had a hard time liking this one.

180 - Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice - 6.5/10 - Bob and Carol are a married couple with a few issues that they discuss at a couples retreat. This leads them to embrace being more open sexually. They try to convert their friends Ted & Alice to this philosophy and it eventually leads to a wife swap, though they discover happiness in their original partners. The premise doesn't sound too bad, but much of the movie is rather dull.

181 - Rich, Young and Pretty - 7/10 - A Texan and his daughter travel to Paris in this musical. The daughter falls in love with a Frenchman and befriends a French singer who happens to be the mother who walked out on the family when she was a baby, though the daughter is unaware of the relationship. The film isn't spectacular, but it is pleasant enough.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

182 - Paris Blues - 7/10 - Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier play a pair of jazz musicians in Paris in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Ram is an aspiring composer and Eddie is escaping the racism back in America. They meet two young American tourists and romance ensues, leading them to possibly leave Paris. The music was good. The drama was okay.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

183 - Kismet (1944) - 6.5/10 - A film about a beggar/magician in ancient Baghdad who dotes on his daughter and disguises himself as a wealthy man to woo one of the Grand Vizier's harem women. The Caliph is traveling in disguise and falls for the beggar's daughter. Unfortunately, the film ultimately isn't that interesting.

184 - Buck Privates - 7.5/10 - A nice musical comedy starring Abbott and Costello as they join the army to evade the police. The Andrews sisters are also featured.

185 - Underworld (1927) - 8/10 - A very nice silent film about a gangster named Bull Weed who helps his former lawyer recover from his alcoholic lifestyle. However, the lawyer and Bull's girlfriend fall for each other, though still remain loyal to Bull.