Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:510:
356 - Right Now, Wrong Then (2015) - 5/10 - A director is in town for a lecture. He hits on a young woman who paints. He drinks too much and meets her friends. Then the day repeats with a few variations. The story isn't very interesting.

:710:
357 - Secret Sunshine (2007) - 7/10 - A young widow and her son move to her late husband's hometown. She opens a piano school and talks of buying land and building a home. Tragedy strikes, though, and she tries religion as a way to deal with it. I liked the first hour more than the rest of the film, but overall it's not bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:5510:
358 - Backroads (1977) - 5.5/10 - Two strangers team up to steal a car and then go on a road trip along the back roads of Australia. Along the way, they pick up three other passengers. The story is kind of rambling and only mildly interesting on occasion.

:610:
359 - Chopper (2000) - 6/10 - This movie is inspired by the life of Australian criminal Mark 'Chopper' Read and features episodes from his life startingwhile he was in prison in the mid-70s. He is prone to exaggeration and the film seems to run with that. Eric Bana does a good job as Read, but the plot is kind of rambling and a bit incoherent at time.

360 - Get Carter (1971) - 7/10 - Jack Carter (Michael Caine) is a criminal who works for a London organization. He returns to his hometown after his brother dies in a supposed drunk driving accident. Jack doesn't believethe cause of death so he does his own investigation to find the real cause and to take revenge on those responsible. Caine is pretty good in the lead, but the story is kind of dull through much of it, though it does pick up quite a bit during the last half hour.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
361 - Adam's Apples (2005) - 7.5/10 - A neo-Nazi just out of prison is sent to stay at a church where an odd priest (Mads Mikkelsen) works with people sentenced to community service. The two clash quite a bit, though the priest is very good at turning the other cheek. There is quite a bit of humor here, though it gets a bit more serious on occasion. I enjoyed it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

362 - Salige er de som tørster (1997) - 5.5/10 - A female detective tries to solve cases involving a rapist and a serial killer. Unfortunately, it isn't particularly well acted.

:810:
363 - Marshland (2014) - 8/10 - In 1980, a pair of detectives are sent to a rural town in Spain to investigate the disappearance of two teenage girls. The film does a good job of setting the mood and it's a pretty solid film.

:410:
364 - Clean, Shaven (1993) - 4/10 - A schizophrenic who recently was released from an asylum tries to track down his young daughter. Meanwhile, he gets caught up as a suspect in the murder of another child. The film tries to get you to experience the world like the schizophrenic does and the result is off-putting. I couldn't really get into the film, though I can see why some might like it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

365 - Leak (2000) - 7/10 - A rookie policeman gets coerced into turning his childhood friend into an informer. The friend happens to be part of a large criminal organization. This drags the policeman into a web of drug smuggling and police corruption. It was decent and apparently based on a true story.

:6510:
366 - Son of Mine (2015) - 6.5/10 - Lei and his son Jeffrey have a very close relationship. They live in a depressed area where mine closures have had an effect on the community. Lei gets by through odd jobs and petty criminal acts. Jeffrey has bigger aspirations and it causes friction.

:410:
367 - Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song (1971) - 4/10 - This film definitely has a place in the history of film. I just wish that I had liked it more. The acting was pretty bad.

368 - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - 7/10 - Henry doesn't stay in one place for very long and wherever he goes, he inevitably kills a number of random people using a variety of methods. He lives with a man named Otis and wins Otis over to his killing ways. When Becky, the sister of Otis, joins them in their apartment, Henry becomes somewhat protective of her.

369 - Quick-draw Okatsu (1969) - 7/10 - Okatsu is the adopted daughter of a master swordsman. She is also a master of the sword, unlike her brother. When crooked officials and their lackeys harm her family, Okatsu sets out on the path of revenge. The film gets more interesting once that path of revenge finally gets going, though the set up takes a while. I liked the supporting character of Rui, another swordswoman, though she only popped up from time to time to save the day.

370 - Zatoichi (2003) - 7/10 - A blind swordsman visits a town where rival gangs are making life very difficult for residents. Geisha siblings who as children were the only survivors of a robbery/massacre enlist Zatoichi's aid in getting revenge. The film gets a little bogged down at times, but is still pretty entertaining. The dance number at the end was kind of odd.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

371 - Branded to Kill (1967) - 6/10 - The third ranked hit man in Japan becomes the target of the top ranked assassin after a failed job where a bystander is killed. I can see why this film has a following, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much. There were bits and pieces that were kind of fun, but they didn't mesh together for me as a whole.

372 - Cruel Gun Story (1964) - 8/10 - A gang leader arranges for a man to be let of prison early so that he can pull off an armored car heist worth a huge amount of money. A detailed plan is set in place and things go well at first, but eventually a few hiccups happen along with double crosses. This is a nice noirish crime film.

373 - A Colt Is My Passport (1967) - 8/10 - A hit man successfully executes a job, but he and his partner have to evade retribution while trying to get out of the country. The film has a nice score along with a nice performance from Jo Shishido. It feels like a western in a number of respects.

374 - Rusty Knife (1958) - 7.5/10 - Three ex-cons are trying to get on with their lives and go straight. However, when one of them needs money, he tries to extort money from the people they witnessed staging a murder five years earlier. This drags Tachibana, another one of the witnesses, into the story. He served prison time for killing the man who raped his fiancée. This was pretty good, though not quite as good as the previous two films I watched.

375 - The Longest Nite (1998) - 6.5/10 - Two rival gangs are on the verge of joining forces when word gets out that a hit has been called on one of the leaders. A corrupt cop who works for one of the gangs tries to keep the peace, but realizes that he is being set up. There were a number of nice scenes, but the overall story is a bit of a mess.

376 - Expect the Unexpected (1998) - 6.5/10 - The film starts out pretty well with a botched robbery of a jewelry store by a group of inept thieves. The police search leads to the involvement of a much more hardened group of criminals who were staying in the same area. The film alternates between comedic moments, attempts at romance, and violent shootouts. It was okay, but not really that great.

377 - A Hero Never Dies (1998) - 7.5/10 - Jack and Martin are top henchmen for rival gang leaders. They go toe to toe at times, but are very similar. They are left with nothing after each is betrayed by their boss and they eventually team up to seek their revenge. Nice performances from the two leads and a fairly entertaining film.

378 - Mad Detective (2007) - 8/10 - A young police detective seeks the aid of a brilliant former detective who has the ability to see people's inner selves and also sees an imaginary version of his ex-wife. The case that they are trying to solve involves a police officer who disappeared 18 months earlier, but whose gun has been used in recent crimes. The main suspect has multiple inner selves that accompany him everywhere. They did a nice job editing and it's a nice film with good acting performances.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

379 - Bandit Queen (1994) - 7/10 - The film is based on the life of bandit/politician Phoolan Devi, though she disputed the accuracy of the portrayal. A low caste girl is sold into marriage at the age of 11. Her life is filled with various forms of abuse through much of her life after that. Eventually she joins a bandit gang, but there are still plenty f challenges. It can be a hard film to watch at times.

:1010:
380 - Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - 10/10 - Still my favorite Studio Ghibli Film. Excellent.

381 - Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - 7.5/10 - Richard returns to his hometown after getting out of the British Army. He has his sights on getting revenge on the men who harassed his younger brother, Anthony, while he was gone. Anthony is mentally impaired and the men did all sorts of things to him. The film rises above a simple revenge plot, though, to eventually show the pain that Richard is in over what happened during his absence.

382 - The Last Seduction (1994) - 7.5/10 - Linda Florentino sizzles as a woman who leaves her marriage by taking the money from a cocaine deal that she talked her husband into executing and then skipping town. She settles in another town under an assumed name and shows absolutely no remorse or regret as she sets her eyes on her next target.

383 - Van God los (2003) - 5.5/10 - A couple of young Dutch men commit a variety of thefts and murders. It wasn't all that great.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
384 - 25th Hour (2002) - 8.5/10 - Edward Norton stars as a drug dealer who has one last day before having to report to prison to serve a 7 year sentence. He spends the day with friends and reminisces on what led him to this moment. Norton gives a very nice performance and the supporting cast is also pretty good, including Rosario Dawson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, etc.

385 - Crimson Gold (2003) - 8/10 - The film starts with a failed jewelry store robbery and then flashes back and fills in the previous two days in the life of Hussein, a pizza delivery driver. We get to see the divide between the wealthy and the lower class. It's a pretty good film.

386 - Dora-heita (2000) - 7/10 - Horisoto is a lawless town where samurai are not allowed to visit. The town is run by three bosses and secretly contributes to the finances of the clan. A new commissioner is determined to change the town for the better and to end the corruption in this samurai comedy. It wasn't really all that funny, but wasn't bad.

:510:
387 - Sleepy Eyes of Death: The Chinese Jade (1963) - 5/10 - A pretty dull drama about a ronin who becomes involved in a dispute between the leader of a wealthy clan who has been engaged in smuggling and his partner who was thought dead, but is in hiding. The story was not interesting and the martial arts used were not that convincing.

388 - Too Fat Too Furious / Vet Hard (2005) - 6/10 - Bennie is an overweight and slightly inept criminal who gets sent away to prison for a number of years. When he gets out, he finds that his old snack bar has been turned into a quiche bakery and his adoptive father needs an expensive transplant. He also finds that he has a homicidal brother that he knew nothing about. The comedy is often pretty dumb or in poor taste (or both), though there are some nice bits here and there and the film is generally not boring. The jailbreak and airport scenes in particular are mostly fun.

389 - Nachtrit (2006) - 7.5/10 - Dennis is a taxi driver in Amsterdam who has a chance to buy an expensive license that is hard to get and the key to his future. However, soon after he gets the permit, the government passes a new law which makes the license essentially worthless and leading to taxi wars and a downward spiral for Dennis. Frank Lammers is very good in the lead role.

:4510:
390 - The Preacher / De dominee (2004) - 4.5/10 - Klaas Bruinsma started dealing hash at a young age and eventually became a pretty important figure in Amsterdam's criminal circles. This film depicts his rise, but is pretty dull and not that interesting.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

391 - Tiger on the Beat (1988) - 7.5/10 - This buddy cop action comedy stars Chow Yun-fat and Conan Lee. There are plenty of stunts, fights, and chases. We even get fights with chainsaws and with bayonets. It's pretty entertaining.

392 - Come Drink With Me (1966) - 7/10 - A female fighter named Golden Swallow looks to rescue the governor's son who has been kidnapped by a group of rebels. She is aided by a man who likes to drink named Drunken Cat. I liked Cheng Pei-pei and Elliot Ngok and there were some decent fights, but the story also seemed a bit lackluster at times. Overall, not bad, and I will probably check out the sequel some day.

393 - Crime Story (1993) - 7.5/10 - Jackie Chan stars as a police special agent in a serious role without the usual comedy that many of his films have. A wealthy businessman is kidnapped and held for ransom. Chan teams up with a detective to try and find the man and capture the kidnappers. There is still plenty of action here, even without the usual types of humor.

394 - Iron Monkey (1993) - 7.5/10 - The Iron Monkey is a Robin Hood type figure who steals from the governor and gives to refugees and the poor. By day, he is a local doctor with an assistant named Orchid who is also adept at martial arts. The governor sets a visiting herbalist to capture the Iron Monkey, keeping the man's son as hostage. There are plenty of entertaining fight scenes, though my favorites were the ones involving the son of the herbalist (actually played by a teenage girl). The story itself isn't necessarily anything special, but it was still fun.

395 - Fallen Angels (1995) - 7.5/10 - A few stories intersect on occasion in Hong Kong, including a hit man thinking of making changes, his assistant, a mute, and a prostitute. The film definitely has style plus a cool soundtrack and plenty of humor mixed in. I liked the characters, even if the story itself wasn't always as interesting.

396 - Kill Zone / Sha Po Lang (2005) - 7/10 - A police detective on the verge of retirement is determined to bring down a gang leader before the detective's replacement takes over his position. The gang leader had an important witness killed while under the detective's protection and the detective and his squad will use any means, including illegal ones, to bring the boss down. There is certainly plenty of action and the final scenes are pretty well done.

397 - Pale Flower (1964) - 7/10 - Muraki is a gangster who is released from prison after serving a sentence for murder. He returns to his old gang and woman, but seems just a bit detached after so long away. There have been a few changes, though much remains the same. He becomes involved with a pretty young woman named Saeko who likes to gamble and is seeking something that will make her feel alive. It's not a bad film and I did like it, but I wanted to like it more than I did.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

398 - Green Room (2015) - 7/10 - A punk band plays a gig at a remote neo-nazi bar in Oregon, but finds that they aren't allowed to leave after one of the members sees a dead body in the green room. This starts a night where they have to fight to survive.

399 - Do Ankhen Barah Haath (1957) - 7.5/10 - An idealistic warden gets permission to run an experimental farm using six convicted murderers. They will have no shackles and they will be free to roam the farm, relying on trust to work and not run off. It's perhaps a bit simplistic and exaggerated at times, but is still a decent and entertaining film.

400 - Shakti (1982) - 8/10 - An uncompromising police officer creates a rift with his young son in how he deals with the son's kidnapping. Years later, the father doesn't approve when the son takes a job at a hotel owned by a known criminal. The sound effects during some of the fights were kind of funny.but the story itself was good. It's easy to see the father driving his son away and not really understanding that he was doing that.

401 - Graveyard of Honor (1975) - 6/10 - This film covers the life of a reckless criminal during the 1940s/50s. His chaotic nature comes through fairly well in film, but I didn't really like the film all that much.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

402 - Tokyo Drifter (1966) - 7/10 - When his yakuza boss decides to break up his gang and go straight, a rival gang tries to recruit his top hitman, Tetsu. However, Tetsu sees this as an opportunity to get out of the business and turns down the offer. Unfortunately, the rival gang leader decides that he is too dangerous to let live and sends men after him, unwilling to let him retire peacefully. I liked the use of color in a number of scenes and I enjoyed the film more than the later Branded to Kill.

403 - Boiling Point (1990) - 6.5/10 - Masaki plays baseball on a somewhat hapless team and also works as a gas station attendant. He is pretty unfocused and spaces out frequently. This gets him into trouble with one of the local gangs and he eventually travels with a friend to obtain guns. The movie seemed to have a lack of energy for periods of time which would then be interrupted by violence.

404 - Uncut Gems (2019) - 6.5/10 - Adam Sandler plays an unpleasant New York City jeweler named Howard who smuggles a valuable rock with uncut gems in it from Africa. Kevin Garnett immediately talks him into letting Kevin borrow the rock for luck, offering his NBA Championship Ring as collateral. Howard has a number of debts and people after him for the money they are owed. Howard also likes to gamble. I didn't really enjoy the film all that much, though I can see why others might rate it higher.

405 - Drug War (2012) - 7/10 - A drug boss is caught and faces execution. He cuts a deal to betray others in the business so that he can live. This involves him going undercover with police officers to get evidence for busts. It wasn't bad, but it didn't really stand out in any way either.

406 - Miss Bala (2011) - 7.5/10 - Laura Guerrero is a young woman who plans to enter a beauty pageant along with a close friend. Before the event, they visit a nightclub which is subsequently attacked by a drug gang. Laura gets caught up with the gang and is forced to do their bidding. I liked the performance of Stephanie Sigman as Laura. The story itself was decent, though we seem to be more of a spectator for events without getting much in the way of inside information.

407 - Intimidation (1960) - 8/10 - Takita is an assistant bank manager who is getting a promotion to a Tokyo branch. He has the connections and has moved steadily up the ladder. His school friend Nakaike is a mild mannered clerk at the same bank and his career seems to be at a dead end. Takita is blackmailed over financial misdeeds and has to find a way to come up with the money. This is a taut film at just over an hour and is very well done.

408 - Take Aim at the Police Van (1960) - 7/10 - An ambush is set for a police van transporting prisoners late one night and a sniper kills a couple of the prisoners. The guard is suspended for six months which doesn't really make sense, but allows him the opportunity to try and solve the case on his own since he now has plenty of free time. This leads him to the underworld and some sketchy businesses. The main character and certain elements of the story aren't that interesting, but there is enough going on to make it a decent film.

409 - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - 7.5/10 - Su-mi is a teenage girl who returns home after a stay at a mental institution. She has a close relationship with her younger sister Su-yeon and a strained relationship with her stepmother. Her father remains somewhat distant. The battle between the girls and their stepmother goes on while some spooky things occur. This is a nice horror film, though I thought it was a bit too long with the first half being stronger than the second half.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

410 - Tangerine (2015) - 7/10 - It's Christmas Eve and Sin-Dee is fresh out of a short stay in jail. Her best friend informs her that her pimp boyfriend cheated on her while she was locked up so she goes on a mission to find the boyfriend that takes the two of them around various parts of LA. She also tracks down the girl that the boyfriend cheated on her with. The film looks low budget and has a pretty thin plot, but is also somewhat compelling.

411 - Chains (1949) - 6.5/10 - Rosa is happily married to a mechanic and has two children. When she happens to encounter a former lover, she wants nothing to do with him, but he won't leave her alone. I enjoyed the early part of the film quite a bit until it took that melodramatic turn with the ex-lover. After that, it was okay, but the wife was guilty of poor decision making.

:310:
412 - Love is Colder Than Death (1969) - 3/10 - This one did very little for me.

413 - Sapphire (1959) - 8/10 - Two children find the body of a young woman in a park. The woman had been stabbed to death somewhere else and then the body was dumped there. The police investigate and soon the film follows the various leads as they look into her life and possible suspects. It's a nice police procedural.

414 - Walk Cheerfully (1930) - 7/10 - This early Ozu film features a criminal who decides to go straight for love of a woman. However, his past could still catch up to him. It's a pretty good silent film.

415 - Peppermint Candy (1999) - 7.5/10 - Kim Yeong-ho shows up at the 20th reunion party to the surprise of his old friends. Something is clearly not right with him, though, and he looks like he might jump from a set of train tracks. The film then proceeds to go through 7 times in Yeong-ho's life in reverse chronological order. The film is pretty good and while it apparently ties in to certain periods/events in Korea's history, the film can certainly be enjoyed without that knowledge. I'm not well versed in that history and the film worked well enough for me.

:310:
416 - Death Wish 3 (1985) - 3/10 - Vigilante Paul Kersey returns to NYC to visit a friend and finds that the friend's neighborhood is under siege from a vicious gang. He gets unofficial permission from the police to do his vigilante thing. The film is ridiculous on a number of levels from the cartoonish bad guys and police, exploding cars, and so on. I don't really get the economics of how the gang survives on such slim pickings and why so many of the residents seem to continue with their daily lives with all of this stuff continually happening. The film is kind of funny for a while, but eventually is just bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

417 - Watch Out for the Automobile (1966) - 8/10 - An insurance agent disgusted by the bribery and cheating that he sees takes it upon himself to steal cars from those he sees as corrupt and then sell the cars to aid those in need. There are a number of clever gags in the film and one long chase sequence that is pretty funny. The police inspector who is trying to track down the car thief befriends the thief since both are active in an amateur theater troupe. It slows down some toward the end, but is still pretty entertaining.

418 - A Fox Hunt (1960) - 6/10 - A man gets mugged by two teenagers, though they are soon caught. The man goes on with his life, but is bothered that one of the teens is locked up for two years while the other gets probation. He tries to befriend the teen who is locked up. I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for this one.

419 - Brother / Brat (1997) - 7.5/10 - Danila recently got out of the army and goes to his older brother to start his post-army life. Danila main passion seems to be music and he spends time searching for a particular song on cd. He also seems to always have a discman with him during his travels. His brother talks him into making a hit for him on a Chechen mob boss and it turns out that Danila has a talent for killing others, though he is also willing to help others. He always remains calm and takes care of his business.

:8510:
420 - Assa (1987) - 8.5/10 - In 1980, a young underground musician befriends and falls for the young mistress of a much older mob boss who is under KGB surveillance. There are also occasional scenes which show the last day of Emperor Paul I, based on the book that the mob boss is reading. I thought those scenes were somewhat interesting, but didn't add that much to the overall film. The film itself is very good and has a nice soundtrack as well.

421 - Private Property (1960) - 7/10 - Two vagabond criminals plot the seduction of a pretty young housewife. I thought it was a bit slow at times, but wasn't bad. The underwater scenes near the end were interesting.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

422 - Ten Little Indians (1987) - 8/10 - Ten people are gathered together in a mansion on a remote island and they slowly start to die one by one. A nice adaptation of the Agatha Christie story that seems to be pretty faithful to the original.

423 - Gentlemen of Fortune (1971) - 6/10 - An archeologist discovers the golden helmet of Alexander the Great, but it is promptly stolen by a thief and his two dimwitted accomplices. They are caught and sentenced to prison, but the helmet is not recovered. A kindergarten teacher happens to be an almost perfect double for the boss of the gang and he is talked into going undercover to try and find the helmet's hiding place. This comedy has a few funny moments scattered throughout, but is mostly just dumb.

424 - Operation 'Y' & Other Shurik's Adventures (1965) - 8/10 - This film is a collection of three 30 minute shorts featuring a college student named Shurik. The first episode takes place on a construction site and is like a live action cartoon much of the time. The second episode takes place at college while students are preparing for examinations. It's the most lighthearted of the three and my favorite. The third episode takes place at a warehouse that Shurik ends up guarding. It isn't as funny as the first two episodes, though there are still amusing things in it.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat May 06, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

425 - Kanoon (1960) - 7.5/10 - This courtroom drama features a prosecutor who witnesses a murder, but keeps quiet about it. When the wrong man is arrested and taken to trial for the murder, he decides to defend him in an attempt to prove his innocence. I thought this was a pretty good drama and it lacks the typical Bollywood song and dance numbers.

426 - Nishant (1975) - 7.5/10 - A new schoolmaster arrives in a village along with his wife and son. The village is controlled by four brothers of a powerful and wealthy family. One one of the brothers takes a fancy to the schoolmaster's wife, they kidnap her, rape her, and keep her captive. The schoolmaster tries many avenues to get her back, but finds no support.

427 - Ardh Satya (1983) - 7.5/10 - A policeman transfers into a new district with high hopes, but he soon learns that the corruption is deeply embedded between a local gang leader, some members of the police force, and politicians. He eventually turns to drinking and this harms his career and also his relationship with the woman he is seeing.

428 - Andaz (1949) - 7/10 - A man rescues a woman who falls off of her runaway horse. This is the start of a friendship between the two and much time spent together. He falls in love with her, but she is already engaged. This eventually causes a few problems, of course.

429 - Kala Pani (1958) - 8/10 - A young man finds out that his father is not dead, but has been imprisoned for murder these past 15 years. He travels to the city where he is being held to see him and discovers that his father was actually innocent. He then tries to gather evidence to free the father, but runs afoul of those who falsely put him away. I enjoyed this one, including the various songs. The ending was a bit too quick and pat, but maybe they figured after 2.5 hours it was time to wrap it up.