Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:810:
769 - Pride (2014) - 8/10 - In 1984, coal miners went on strike in the UK. A group of lesbians and gays forms to raise money and support the miners, eventually traveling to a small village in Wales to continue their activities. This support proves a bit divisive, especially at first due to the source of that support. There was plenty of humor in the film and I thought it was well acted and entertaining.

:7510:
770 - Zodiac (2007) - 7.5/10 - David Fincher directed this film about the Zodiac Killer who murdered a number of people in the San Francisco area in the late 1960s and sent messages in puzzle form to police and newspapers. The first hour or so was excellent and shows the confirmed attacks and initial investigations. Robert Downey, Jr. is a reporter working on the story while Jake Gyllenhaal is a cartoonist at the same paper who becomes obsessed with unmasking the killer. Mark Ruffalo is a police detective working on the case. The film jumps ahead a number of years as Gyllenhaal's character dives deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. I thought that part of the film kind of dragged, though it wasn't bad.

:710:
771 - Topaze (1933) - 7/10 - John Barrymore stars as Professor Topaze, an earnest, but naive teacher who gets tricked into promoting a drink under false pretenses. It's a pleasant enough film, though I thought it was a bit skimpy on plot and could have been expanded a bit more.

772 - Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924) - 7/10 - Siegfried is the son of a king who has a number of adventures while on his way to ask King Gunther of Burgundy for permission to marry Gunther's sister. The sets and costumes were all very good. The story bored me a bit, but was okay.

773 - Casbah (1948) - 7/10 - Tony Martin stars as Pepe le Moko, the leader of a gang of jewel thieves in the Casbah. Pepe is in Algiers to escape jail in France. He falls for a French visitor named Gaby (Marta Toren) which does not make his girlfriend Inez (Yvonne DeCarlo) happy. Peter Lorre must like movies that take place in North Africa since he has a role in this film as a detective. It's a decent film with a few songs thrown in.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:510:
774 - Daisy Miller (1974) - 5/10 - A cultured American expatriate falls for an attractive, but shallow American woman (Cybill Shepherd) who is vacationing in Europe with her mother. She seems more interested in another man. Daisy's younger brother is very annoying. That may be faithful to the Henry James story (which I haven't read), but doesn't make it easier to watch. It's not a very good film.

:6510:
775 - It Started in Naples (1960) - 6.5/10 - Clark Gable stars as a man who travels to Italy to settle his recently deceased brother's estate. He finds that his brother left behind a young son who is now being cared for by an aunt (Sophia Loren). Gable decides to try and bring his nephew home to the U.S. so that he can have more opportunities, but the boy and the aunt aren't necessarily on board with this idea. The movie isn't bad, but is a bit flat at times and I don't think that the chemistry between Gable and Loren really worked. There is some nice scenery at times, though, and the boy who played the nephew was decent. Gable only completed one more film after this before he died.

776 - Jack London (1943) - 5/10 - A rather lackluster biography of author Jack London that turns into anti-Japanese propaganda toward the end.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
777 - The Loves of Carmen (1948) - 6/10 - Carmen (Rita Hayworth) is a gypsy woman in 1820s Spain who likes to sing, dance, and tease the men in her life. Don Jose (Glenn Ford) is a Spanish soldier who falls for Carmen. The technicolor looks decent and Hayworth is okay, but Ford looks like he'd rather be somewhere else and I didn't find the story all that interesting.

778 - Skylark (1941) - 7/10 - Lydia (Claudette Colbert) and Tony (Ray Milland) have been married for 5 years. Lydia is getting fed up with Tony being more concerned about his job and clients than his wife. She has a fairly innocent encounter with a lawyer (Brian Aherne) she meets at a party she hosts and it eventually lead to something more serious. I liked Colbert in the film. Milland's character is mostly just a self-centered jerk. Overall, I enjoyed the film.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

779 - Sunny (1941) - 5/10 - A wealthy man (John Carroll) falls in love with a circus performer (Anna Neagle), but his sister does what she can to break them up. There'a a lot of music, but the story and acting aren't the best. There are a few decent bits here and there and Ray Bolger wasn't bad.

780 - Tom Sawyer (1973) - 7.5/10
- Johnny Whittaker stars as Tom Sawyer in this musical adaptation of the Twain classic. I enjoyed it quite a bit and think they did a nice job adapting the story for the screen. The songs weren't intrusive and fit the story pretty well. Jodie Foster plays Becky Thatcher.

781 - Question 7 (1961) - 6/10 - This is essentially communism vs Christianity with a pastor's son caught in the middle. Peter is a teenage boy who loves to play the piano and wants to play in a competition in Berlin, but this will be used to promote the Communist Party. It is pretty dull through much of it, though it gets a bit better toward the end.

782 - Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1939) - 7/10 - The FBI investigates the German-American bund and their espionage activities prior to WWII.

783 - My Father and My Son (2005) - 8/10 - Sadik is a journalist whose wife dies while delivering their son during a military coup in Turkey in 1980. Sadik is imprisoned and tortured for years before returning to raise his son. He eventually takes his son to meet with his family so that they can give his son the support that he will need while growing up. The movie intentionally tugs at the heartstrings, but it works and ends up being a pretty good film, though some might be turned off by the attempt.

784 - The Jazz Singer (1952) - 7/10 - Danny Thomas takes the lead in this remake of the 1927 Al Jolson film with Peggy Lee costarring as his love interest. I thought it was good and certainly a lot better than the original.

785 - The Girl With the Red Scarf (1977) - 6/10 - A truck driver encounters a woman walking by the side of the road who happens to be wearing a red scarf. He tries to woo her and the two eventually fall in love and marry. Marital problems lead them to separate with the mother leaving with their young son. It was okay and wasn't as bad as I feared.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

786 - Nostalghia (1983) - 6.5/10 - A Russian writer visits Italy for research. It is masterfully shot and has some interesting imagery, but is pretty dreary and I didn't find it all that engaging overall.

787 - Champagne for Caesar (1950) - 7.5/10 - Ronald Colman stars as a very well read and intelligent bachelor who lives with his sister. He decides to appear on a television quiz show where he has a plan to earn a large fortune at the expense of the sponsor (Vincent Price). Art Linkletter portrays Happy Hogan, the game show host. It's a fun film with plenty of humor. Colman was very good here, but the supporting cast was also good.

788 - For Love of Ivy (1968) - 7/10 - Abbey Lincoln portrays Ivy, a maid who has been in the same position for 9 years. She is considered to be one of the family, but wants to leave and explore other opportunities in the city, even though she loves the family she works for. The adult children of the family conspire to try and set Ivy up with a shady acquaintance (Sidney Poitier) in hope of getting her to stay. The set up is condescending toward Ivy, but she is able to give voice to that before the end of the film. I liked the performances of Lincoln and Poitier plus Beau Bridges was kind of funny as one of the adult children.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

789 - The World is Rich (1947) - 7.5/10 - This documentary looks at the food problems around the world, including shortages from war and natural disasters, the black market, food importers and exporters, and farming methods. It was interesting.

790 - The Gazebo (1959) - 8/10 - Glenn Ford stars as a neurotic writer who is being blackmailed with photos of his wife (Debbie Reynolds). He comes up with a plan to kill the blackmailer, but goes about it in a very nervous and clumsy fashion. Ford is very funny here and the movie is pretty entertaining.

791 - The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima (1952) - 7/10 - This is based on the 1917 event in Portugal where three children claimed to see visions of the Virgin Mary and thousands gathered on the appointed day in October to witness. It was okay.

792 - The Pride of St. Louis (1952) - 7.5/10 - Dan Dailey stars as baseball great Dizzy Dean, showing his rise from 18 year old prospect to ace pitcher and back down after injuring his arm. Dailey is really good as Dean and elevates a fairly standard biopic.

793 - Triumph of the Will (1935) - It's definitely interesting to watch this documentary as a glimpse into mid-30s Germany under Hitler. all the parade and marching do get a bit boring after a while, though.

794 - Chak De! India (2007) - 6.5/10 - Shah Rukh Khan portrays a disgraced former player who is hired to coach India's women's national field hockey team. The team that is assembled features a lot of individuals, but not a lot of team players. He works to build them into a team that will have success in the World Cup. It's all rather cliched, but I still enjoyed watching it due to the personalities of the various team members. Khan wasn't bad as the coach.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:5510:
795 - Eggs (1995) - 5.5/10 - Pa and Moe are elderly brothers who have lived together in their remote home for a long time, rarely venturing off of their property. They have their routines, but those are upset when Pa discovers he has a son from the one trip that he made and that son is going to be staying with them because his mother is ill. The son is kind of strange and has a fascination with eggs, often putting them in his mouth. The humor here didn't quite click with me. I can see where some might enjoy it a lot, but this film wasn't for me.

796 - A Most Violent Year (2014) - 7/10 - This crime drama takes place in NYC in 1981. Oscar Isaac runs a heating oil company that is trying to grow quickly, but is facing problems with the drivers being attacked and their loads stolen. Isaac seems like a crime boss straight out of the 1970s, but plays it straight. His wife (Jessica Chastain) is much more mob oriented. Isaac and Chastain give good performances and I think they did a good job evoking the period, but the film felt a bit flat, though I did like it overall.

797 - Boy on a Dolphin (1957) - 7.5/10 - Sophia Loren stars as Phaedra, a Greek sponge diver who locates an ancient statue of a boy on a dolphin on a shipwreck at the bottom of the sea. She wants to give it to an archeologist (Alan Ladd) while her boyfriend wants to sell it to a rich collector (Clifton Webb). Ladd seemed a bit bored with his role, but Loren was very good.

798 - Desire Under the Elms (1958) - 6/10 - Anthony Perkins is the third son of a greedy farmer (Burl Ives) who worked his first two wives to an early grave. Perkins looks to inherit the property which he sees as rightfully his, but then his father brings home a young Italian wife (Sophia Loren). Loren was decent, but the story itself didn't do much for me and Ives seemed a bit out of place.

799 - Home in Indiana (1944) - 7.5/10 - Sparke Thornton (Lon McCallister) is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Indiana where he becomes friends with two young women - Char (Jeanne Crain) and Cri-Cri (June Haver). Char is involved with harness racing and Sparke takes an interest as well. This is a nice, fairly wholesome drama.

800 - Just for You (1952) - 7.5/10 - A successful broadway producer and widower (Bing Crosby) tries to reconnect with his teenage children (Robert Arthur and Natalie Wood) who he has somewhat neglected for his career. His girlfriend (Jane Wyman) is a broadway star and is well liked by both children. I liked the musical numbers and the performances all around.

801 - Our Very Own (1950) - 8/10 - 18 year old Gail (Ann Blyth) is only a few days from graduation when an an argument with her younger sister Joan (Joan Evans) reveals that she was adopted as a baby. Her world is turned upside down and she wants to find and meet her birth mother. Natalie Wood steals the show during the opening segment as Gail's perky baby sister Penny. She talks almost non-stop at times and bugs the heck out of the man installing the family's new tv.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

802 - The Lost City (2022) - 6.5/10 - Sandra Bullock is an archeologist turned popular romance author who is kidnapped by an eccentric billionaire (Daniel Radcliffe) to help locate a lost tomb. Her cover model (Channing Tatum) tries to rescue her. Brad Pitt has a small role in the film and is very good during that time. I heard a lot of positive buzz when the film came out and the film is okay, but it wasn't as much fun as I was expecting. There are some good bits here and there, but other parts just seem kind of awkward and not very funny.

803 - The Tragedy of Macbeth (1971) - 8/10 - This is a very bloody, but good adaptation of the Shakespeare tale. I liked it more than the more recent adaptation.

804 - A New Kind of Love (1963) - 5/10 - Paul Newman is a jaded (and kind of lazy) reporter/womanizer who gets sent to Paris as penance. Joanne Woodward travels to Paris with her coworkers and boss to look at new fashions. Newman mistakes Woodward for an expensive call girl and she goes along with it as a joke since all he wants to do is talk, though she won't accept any money. There are a few decent bits, but it is mostly pretty lame.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

805 - Teenage Rebel (1956) - 7.5/10 - Ginger Rogers stars as a mother with a 7 year old son who hasn't seen her teenage daughter for 8 years since her ex-husband took the daughter to Europe after their divorce. The daughter (Betty Lou Keim) arrives and proves to be spoiled and resentful. Ginger has her work cut out for her in trying to win her daughter over and help her get over her attitudes. It was pretty good.

806 - Lydia (1941) - 6.5/10 - An old woman reunited with her old boyfriends and reminisces about her life, romances, and work. Merle Oberon stars and most of the story is told in flashback. It was pretty melodramataic and overwrought at times.

807 - Swiss Family Robinson (1940) - 7/10 - A man in London in 1813 doesn't like how his sons are growing up so he packs up the whole family to move to Australia. Along the way, they are shipwrecked on a deserted tropical island and have to adapt to survive. I don't recall seeing the 1960 version, but this wasn't bad.

:8510:
808 - Playtime (1967) - 8.5/10 - Jacques Tati stars as Monsieur Hulot travels around an ultra-modern Paris, often running into a group of American tourists. Much of the humor is in the form of visual gags with the office setting being my favorite. I didn't like the restaurant setting quite as much, but it still had its share of fun. Very entertaining.

809 - The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - 6/10 - This didn't do much for me, though the last 10-15 minutes wasn't bad.

810 - Suspiria (1977) - 5/10 - This film is brought to you by the color red. It definitely belongs on the weird movies list.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

811 - Once More, My Darling (1949) - 7/10 - Robert Montgomery stars as confirmed bachelor and actor Collier Laing who is called up as a captain in the US Army Reserve and given the assignment to woo a 19 year old heiress (Ann Blyth) in search of a jewel thief who gave her a stolen pendant. It turn out that the young woman falls immediately in love with Laing and sets out to marry him, though he is resistant to the idea. It's an odd film, but is still fairly enjoyable.

812 - Ten Gentlemen from West Point (1942) - 7/10 - This fictional story about U.S. Army academy in the early 1800s features an old school major who doesn't believe in the academy, but is nevertheless put in charge of it. He does what he can to encourage the cadets to leave. There is a rivalry among two of the cadets, a fair amount of humor, and some action as well.

813 - Balalaika (1939) - 7/10 - Nelson Eddy stars as a Russian prince in the days just before the first World War. He becomes interested in a singer (Ilona Massey) and decides to woo her using an assumed identity since she has an aversion to Cossacks. He doesn't know that she is secretly part of a group of revolutionaries. Eddy is in fine voice here and Massey isn't bad, either.

814 - An American Dream (1966) - 5/10 - A medal of honor winner is now a popular call in talk show host. His wife is extremely wealthy, but doesn't love him and is on a self-destructive path. He seeks a divorce and after she starts a fight, she ends up falling off the balcony of her 30th floor apartment. The (over)acting tends to be loud and the film isn't really very good.

815 - Career (1959) - 7.5/10 - Anthony Franciosa stars as a man named Sam who wants to be a stage actor, but has a hard time catching a break. He's been able to get roles in small productions, but can't break in to the big time. He's willing to sacrifice just about anything to make it. Dean Martin got top billing, but is really in a supporting role. Carolyn Jones is good as Sam's agent and friend.

:410:
816 - The Stepmother (1972) - 4/10 - A jealous husband arrives home late at night from a trip and thinks that his wife is having an affair with a friend. He kills the friend and his attempts to cover it up make things worse. This movie is pretty bad, though the song it received an Oscar nomination for isn't bad.

817 - The Stripper (1963) - 6.5/10 - Joanne Woodward portrays a 30-something whose Hollywood career never took off. Her boyfriend/manager strands her near her hometown where she ends up staying with an old family friend whose son becomes infatuated with her. It was okay.

818 - Wives and Lovers (1963) - 7.5/10 - Bill and Bertie (Van Johnson and Janet Leigh) struggle to make ends meet and live in a small apartment with their daughter. When Bill's book is sold along with the rights to turn it into a Broadway play, they are able to move to a nice house in Connecticut. However, Bill spends a lot of time away from home working on the play and Bertie begins to suspect that he is having an affair with his attractive female agent (Martha Hyer). Bertie looks to retaliate with an actor in Bill's play.

819 - My Geisha (1962) - 7/10 - Shirley MacLaine stars as an actress whose husband (Yves Montand) is a director about to travel to Japan for his next film. She thinks that she would be perfect for the film, but he doesn't want to use her. She goes to Japan and disguises herself as a geisha and ends up getting the lead without him knowing. The premise seems a bit shaky perhaps, but I enjoyed the film a lot more than I expected. Edward G. Robinson has a supporting role.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

820 - The Affairs of Susan (1945) - 7/10 - Joan Fontaine stars as Susan, a woman who is about to be married. Her fiance meets up with the three men with which she was previously either married or engaged and each man paints a different picture of Susan. I thought the movie was a lot of fun for a while, but went on a bit too long and I started to get tired of it by the end.

821 - Come Blow Your Horn (1963) - 6.5/10 - Frank Sinatra lives the swinging bachelor life with a nice apartment, dates with multiple women, and so on. His 21 year old brother decides to leave home and move with him. He learns from his older brother all too well. Molly Picon was pretty funny as their mother.

822 - Kisses for My President (1964) - 7/10 - Polly Bergen stars as the first woman elected as President of the United States. Fred MacMurray is her husband and finds it difficult adapting to life in the White House and the duties usually undertaken by the First Lady. The film is dated, but wasn't that bad.

823 - Martin Luther (1953) - 6/10 - This biopic on the life of the father of the Protestant Reformation is a bit stilted at times.

824 - The Sullivans (1944) - 7.5/10 - A biopic about the Sullivan family which had five boys and one girl. The five boys all lost their lives during WWII while serving on the same ship. The first 45 minutes or so details them growing up in Iowa as kids and then it jumps ahead a decade. I thought it was a good film, but I liked the first part a little more than the second.

825 - Where Love Has Gone (1964) - 6/10 - A teenage girl kills her mother's live-in boyfriend and the estranged father arrives in town to see his daughter. Bette Davis plays the wealthy and domineering grandmother. Susan Hayward is the mother. I thought Mike Connors as the father was okay and it was interesting to see DeForest Kelley in a supporting role, but I don't think Davis or Hayward were very good in this film and the story wasn't great either, even though it was probably inspired by the case with Lana Turner's daughter.

826 - The Buccaneer (1938) - 7.5/10 - Fredric March stars as Jean LaFitte in this story of how LaFitte and his privateers came to the aid of Andrew Jackson and the city of New Orleans toward the end of the War of 1812 in their fight against the British. There is romance, betrayal, and battles. I thought it was pretty good and liked it about the same as the remake from 20 years later.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

827 - Suez (1938) - 7.5/10 - Tyrone Power stars as Ferdinand de Lesseps, the man behind building the Suez Canal in the 1850s/1860s. The movie portrays de Lesseps as a junior diplomat who is rejected by his lover and sent to Egypt as a punishment by Louis Napoleon, the ruler of France. There is romance, adventure, a big sandstorm, and generally a fun movie. Who cares if it has very little basis in reality (de Lesseps was really an experienced diplomat in his 50s).

828 - The Vagabond King (1930) - 6/10 - In medieval France, a singer/vagabond is arrested and sentenced to hang by the king. He is given the opportunity to be king for a day in order to rescue France or he can return to his life. The movie wasn't bad, but it was too stagebound and the performances definitely reflected that.

:5510:
829 - You're a Sweetheart (1937) - 5.5/10 - A Broadway producer is worried that his next show won't succeed since it is going to be up against a major charity show. He tries using a few tricks to increase interest. The musical numbers were pretty good. The comedy and story were not.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

830 - The Tree We Hurt (1986) - 6.5/10 - A boy in Greece looks back on his summer. It starts with the last day of school and goes on from there.

831- The Browning Version (1951) - 7/10 - A classics teacher is leaving his school after 18 years and discovers that he is disliked by staff and students alike. A gift from a student before he leaves has a profound effect on him. I thought Michael Redgrave and Nigel Patrick were each pretty good.

832 - Infernal Affairs II (2003) - 6/10 - This prequel covers the time from 1991 until the Hong Kong handover in 1997. It deals with triads, corrupt cops, placing an undercover cop in one of the triads, etc. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good or compelling as the first film.

833 - Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - 7.5/10 - A powerful Broadway columnist (Burt Lancaster) is overly protective of his sister and he uses his connections and a shady promoter (Tony Curtis) to try and break up his sister's relationship with a jazz guitarist (Martin Milner). There is a lot of snappy dialogue and I think the film has great cinematography and pretty good music. It's a very good film, but I didn't like it quite as much as many seem to.

834 - Caché (2005) - 7.5/10 - A French couple find a vhs tape outside their front door that contains two hours of surveillance that somebody took. As time goes on, they receive more tapes from various relevant places, including the husband's childhood home, plus postcards and childlike drawings at their home, work, and their son's school. They don't know who is doing this, but the husband suspects it has to do with an Algerian boy that his parents wanted to adopt when he was six years old.

835 - They Shall Have Music (1939) - 7.5/10 - A boy is constantly getting into mischief and his father decides to send him to reform school. Instead, the boy runs away and ends up at a music school for poor children where it turns out that he has a gifted ear for music. The school is in danger of closing down for lack of funds so the kids decide to try and recruit violinist Jascha Heifetz to play at their upcoming concert. The film has plenty of nice music and is a good film.

836 - The Man in the Iron Mask (1939) - 8/10 - Louis Hayward stars as Louis XIV and as his twin brother Philippe in this adaptation of the Alexander Dumas story. We also get the Four Musketeers in supporting roles and Joan Bennett as as Spanish princess. It was pretty entertaining and well done.

837 - The Baby Maker (1970) - 7.5/10 - A young hippie woman (Barbara Hershey) agrees to have a baby with the husband of an upper middle class couple. The wife is unable to have children and the couple will provide support during the pregnancy plus cash and get to keep and raise the baby. The three of them get close during the pregnancy and this closeness complicates the situation. Hershey is pretty good here.

838 - Women with Open Eyes (1994) - 7/10 - A look at the plight of women in several West African countries.

Ballon vole/Play Ball (1960) (12 minutes)
Coffea Arábiga (1968) - (18 minutes)
Os Salteadores (1993) - (14 minutes)
A Caça/The Hunt (1964) - (21 minutes)
Douro, Faina Fluvial/Labor on the Douro River (1931) - (20 minutes)

P Like Pelican (1972) - (26 minutes)
The Night it Rained (1967) - (38 minutes)
Safar (1972) - (30 minutes)
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

839 - The Incredible Sarah (1976) - 7/10 - Glenda Jackson stars as Sarah Bernhardt in this biopic. I liked it well enough.

840 - The Magic of Lassie (1978) - 6.5/10 - James Stewart stars as a vineyard owner raising his two grandchildren. A wealthy businessman (Pernell Roberts) decides that he wants Stewart's property and also his dog, Lassie. He is able to make a claim on Lassie which eventually leads to a cross country trip by Lassie to reunite with her family. It's definitely old-fashioned and aimed at kids, but it's harmless enough.

841 - Caravans (1978) - 6/10 - An American diplomat is sent into a Middle Eastern country (Iran, but not called Iran) to find the daughter of a US senator who hasn't contacted home in nearly a year. She left the trappings of the U.S. for some reason to become the second wife of a powerful colonel in a country where women are generally oppressed. She then left and ran off with a group of nomads. Parts of this film are okay, though the American sent in to look for the woman is not all that respectful toward other cultures.

842 - Claudelle Inglish (1961) - 7/10 - Claudelle is a shy 17 year old girl who falls in love for the first time and gets engaged. After getting jilted, she starts going out with many boys, looking to have fun and get presents. Her mother wants her to marry a wealthy man her father's age since she sees it as the only way to escape the poverty they've lived with their whole lives.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

843 - Gaily, Gaily (1969) - 6/10 - Ben (Beau Bridges) is a naive young man who runs away from home to go to Chicago in 1910. He is soon robbed and ends up in the care of a lady who runs a brothel (Melina Mercouri), though he thinks it is a boardinghouse. She gets him a job at one of the local newspapers. He eventually becomes aware of just how corrupt the city is, especially in politics, and sets out to do something about it.

844 - Stop the World: I Want to Get Off (1966) - 6/10 - This musical features a man in a mime outfit as he and the ladies in his group act out his life from birth to death. This is basically just a filmed version of the stage musical and takes place on a mock circus set. It's definitely an odd film, but it grew on me a bit as it went along. I kind of enjoyed the music and choreography.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.