Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:810:
81 - Blade Runner: 2049 - 8/10 - I thought they did a pretty nice job with this movie. Good use of sound and special effects. The pace was kind of slow at times and it could have been better, but overall it was a good film. I liked it a lot more than the original Blade Runner.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:5510:
82 - Beethoven - 5.5/10 - Kind of what I expected - a family adventure with a big dog, over the top villains and humor that isn't really all that funny. It was okay, though, for what it was.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

83 - Silence - 8/10 - In 1640, two monks travel to Japan to try and find their mentor who is rumored to be apostate due to the Japanese trying to stamp out Christianity in their country. I thought it was a pretty good movie.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

84 - Prisoners - 8/10 - When two young girls disappear, the father of one of the girls takes measures into his own hands by abducting the main suspect so that he can try and force the information about the girls whereabouts out of him. Meanwhile the detective assigned to the case is pursuing a number of leads to try and solve the case and find the girls. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal play the leads and do a pretty nice job along with the rest of the cast.

:610:
85 - W.E. - 6/10 - Two stories are told here - one about a woman in the present day who becomes involved with a Russian security guard. The woman is infatuated with the story of Wallis Simpson and her romance with the Prince of Wales, later King of England. The other story is Wallis Simpson's history and appears in flashbacks. I thought the Simpson storyline was much more interesting than the one in present day, but the movie as a whole was rather dull.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

86 - Ready Player One - 8/10 - In 2045, Wade Watts lives in the stacks outside of Columbus and the world is kind of a mess. He is a competitive player in The Oasis, a worldwide VR universe played by nearly everybody. He and his friends start making progress in an important treasure hunt in the game, but find themselves opposed by a cutthroat corporation. The movie was good, though the book was much better.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
87 - Marshall - 7.5/10 - In 1940, Thurgood Marshall is brought to Connecticut to assist in the trial of a black man who is accused of raping and assaulting his wealthy white employer and trying to kill her. I thought it was a pretty interesting and entertaining film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:710:
88 - Before I Fall - 7/10 - A teenage version of Groundhog Day where a teen girl dies in a car accident and wakes up to relive the same day over and over again. It was okay.

89 - Crash Dive - 7.5/10 - This World War II film focuses on a naval officer who is assigned to a submarine and falls for a young woman at about the same time. Then it turns out that the woman is the girlfriend of his new commanding officer. There is also plenty of action at sea against the Nazis. It was a decent film, though not spectacular.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:910:
90 - Wonder - 9/10 - Auggie Pullman was born with a number of medical problems and underwent numerous operations while growing up. He's mostly a normal kid, but with noticeable facial deformities. His parents decide that fifth grade is time to end his home schooling and send him to a regular middle school. It takes time, but eventually he makes friends. The movie also takes time to show events from his sister's point of view and from that of a friend. Overall, a very heartwarming and entertaining film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
91 - Avengers: Infinity War - 8.5/10 - I thought they did a pretty nice job with this. Maybe too many characters, but they did divide them up into smaller groups so that it wasn't just one big mass of characters. It also meant that some of the characters go rather minimal screen time. Still, Thanos was an excellent villain for the movie and it was very entertaining.

92 - Roman J. Israel, Esq. - 7.5/10 - Denzel Washington stars as a talented lawyer who prefers to work behind the scenes and may be somewhat autistic, though functional. He is also idealistic. His life is thrown into some turmoil when his law partner of 36 years suffers a massive heart attack and the firm goes under. It was an interesting movie and I enjoyed it.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
93 - Fifty Shades of Grey - 6/10 - This has an Oscar nominated song so I figured I'd go ahead and watch it. I was expecting it to be really bad, but it was watchable. Lots of sex, though it was all really pretty tame. I don't think I'll be watching the other two movies in the series any time soon, though.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:6510:
94 - The Disaster Artist - 6.5/10 - A biographical movie about the making of one of the worst movies of all time - Tommy Wiseau's 'The Room'. I liked the end of the movie more than the first half and it is probably fairly true to life, but I can't say that I enjoyed the movie very much.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

95 - The Darkest Hour - 8/10 - This film covers the period where the Chamberlain government is disbanded and Winston Churchill become Prime Minister up through the Dunkirk rescue. Gary Oldman does a very nice job as Churchill and the film is pretty entertaining. I think it would make an interesting double feature with Dunkirk.

:8510:
96 - The Breadwinner - 8.5/10 - This animated film is about an 11 year old girl named Parvana who is growing up in Afghanistan under the Taliban at the beginning of the 21st Century. Her family is poor and when her father is unjustly arrested, she disguises herself as a boy to try and provide for her family. Her plight improves a bit after this, but there are a number of dangers. I thought it was well done.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

97 - Lady Bird - 8/10 - Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson is a senior at a catholic school who has few friends and does not get along with her mother much of the time. The movie shows the ups and downs of her senior year and transition to college. I thought it was very good and the actresses who played mother and daughter were deserving of their Oscar nominations.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

98 - Leap - 7.5/10 - An animated film about a boy and girl who run away from an orphanage to Paris in the 1880s. The boy is an inventor and the girl wants to dance. She manages to get admitted to the premier ballet school while he works for Gustave Eiffel. It was a fun film.

99 - Gifted - 8/10 - Frank Adler repairs boats in Florida while raising his brilliant 7 year old niece. She is a gifted math prodigy like her mother who died while Mary was an infant. Soon Frank finds himself in a custody battle with his mother who wants to take Mary away and treat her the same way that she treated Mary's mother, a life of seclusion focusing on math and little else. I thought it was very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

100 - The Square - 7.5/10 - A museum in Sweden is preparing for a new exhibit opening and deciding on how to market it. The movie focuses on the curator of the museum who has his wallet and phone stolen at the beginning of the film and tries to recover them. It was a pretty good satire.

:710:
101 - Atomic Blonde - 7/10 - A spy thriller that takes place just before the Berlin Wall comes down. The spy happens to be a woman this time, one who is pretty adept at fighting. It was entertaining enough.