Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
102 - Loving Vincent - 7.5/10 - This fully painted animated film has pretty impressive visuals due to its unique style. It tells of the son of a postman who attempts to deliver a letter to Vincent van Gogh's brother about a year after van Gogh died. One problem is that Theo has died in the interim as well. The relationships van Gogh had at the time of his death are examined as well as a theory that he did not commit suicide. It was a decent movie made more interesting by the animation.

103 - The Florida Project - 7.5/10 - Moonee is a six year old girl who lives in a rundown motel near Disney World with her mother. She spends most of her time with her friend Scooty who lives downstairs and with her new friend Jancey who lives in a nearby motel. They are unsupervised quite a bit and manage to get into a lot of mischief. Her mother struggles to make ends meet and eventually falls back on prostitution to get money for the rent.

104 - Growing Up Smith - 7/5/10 - A coming of age tale about a 10 year old Indian boy who falls in love with the girl next door, but is promised to a girl back in India when he turns 21. His parents try to keep to Indian customs while he wants to do traditional American things such as go trick or treating. I thought it was a fun film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
105 - Solo (2018) - 8.5/10 - I thought it was a lot of fun. Maybe it was a mess before, but Ron Howard apparently saved it with reshoots and editing. I thought Ehrenreich did a nice job as Han Solo and Glover was excellent as Lando.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:1010:
106 - Raazi (2018) - 10/10 - This is the best movie that I have seen this year. It takes place in 1971 and is about an Indian woman in college whose father is an intelligence agent. She is recruited to go under cover in Pakistan at a time when tensions are mounting. She marries the son of an important army general and serves as a spy. The movie is entertaining from start to finish, is well acted and has good music also. The movie is in Hindi with English subtitles.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:910:
107 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10 - Seven months after her daughter was raped and murdered, a woman puts up three billboards on a rural road asking the police chief why there have been no arrests yet. There were plenty of comedic moments mixed in with the drama in a very good film.

:810:
108 - Ex Machina - 8/10 - A thought provoking film about a young programmer who is brought to the remote estate of his boss, a multi-billionaire who is working on artificial intelligence. Kind of eerie throughout much of it and definitely interesting.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

109 - A Fantastic Woman - 7.5/10 - Marina is a transgender woman and a singer. Her older boyfriend dies of an aneurysm and her life is turned upside down. The police think the death might be somewhat suspicious sine he fell down the stairs before they went to the hospital and his family mostly doesn't want her around. It was an interesting and pretty good film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

110 - Deadpool 2 - 8/10 - This was fun, though I prefer the first one slightly. Domino and Cable were really good.

111 - The Shape of Water - 7.5/10 - A mute woman working at a top secret facility as a cleaning lady during the 1950s becomes enamored with a fish creature (similar to Abe Sapien) that is being studied in the lab. It was a pretty good film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

112 - Mudbound - 7.5/10 - The story of a white farmer and his black tenant farmer and their families in the South just before during and after World War II. One son from each family goes off to war and then returns.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

113 - I, Tonya - 7.5/10 - The story of Tonya Harding from when she first started skating competitively through the Nancy Kerrigan attack and its aftermath. Plenty of bumbling idiocy and domestic violence and a pretty decent film.

:710:
114 - Call Me By Your Name - 7/10 - In 1980s Italy, a graduate assistant staying with a professor has a brief affair with the professor's 17 year old son. The movie was okay, but I couldn't totally get into it. I thought that Hammer (who played the graduate assistant) seemed to almost just be going through the motions.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
115 - Pitch Perfect 3 - 6/10 - The plot is pretty paper thin, but I thought it was still a fun enough movie to watch

:5510:
116 - Sherlock Gnomes - 5.5/10 - Gnomeo and Juliet and their friends and family move into a new garden in London. Their friends and family and other area gnomes disappear and Sherlock Gnomes is on the case along with his partner Watson. Not a great movie, but okay.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

117 - Transformers: The Last Knight - 7/10 - I enjoyed it. I think it was about on par with the other sequels in the series. Lots of spectacle.

118 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 7/10 - Another decent adventure. I didn't think it was quite as good as the previous entries in the series, but it wasn't bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:910:
119 - The Insult - 9/10 - In Beirut, a Palestinian construction worker insults a Christian mechanic over a leaking gutter. The reaction to the insult keeps getting bigger and bigger with plenty of courtroom action and television coverage and some violence until it becomes a national issue. I thought it was a very interesting movie that was well acted. The motivations of the characters came to light somewhat during the film and the acting was very good.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

120 - Ant-Man and the Wasp - 8/10 - This was a fun movie. Not anything groundbreaking, but entertaining. Plenty of comedy and lots of action.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

121 - Molly's Game - 8/10 - Molly Bloom was a competitive skier who almost made the Olympics. Her brother was a world champion skier. After her skiing career ended, she became involved in private high stakes poker games. Over the next 8-10 years she meets a lot of high profile people and makes a lot of money until it is seized by the FBI who later arrest her on various charges. The movie is an adaptation of the book she wrote after getting out of the game. It was pretty decent.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

122 - Detroit - 7.5/10 - A dramatization of the Algiers Motel Incident during the riots in July 1967. They did a pretty good job.

:610:
123 - The Last Airbender - 6/10 - A fairly simple plot with cardboard villains as the Avatar returns after 100 years and finds a world at war as the Fire Nation is trying to conquer the other tribes. Still, I thought it was watchable on not as bad as many say.

124 - Tomb Raider - 8/10 - I liked the new Tomb Raider reboot. I hope that they do more in the series.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
125 - Incredibles 2 - 8.5/10 - A very nice sequel.