Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:810:
447 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - 8/10 - I thought it was a very nice film with good fight scenes and a nice cast.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:7510:
448 - Pharaoh aka Faraon (1966) - 7.5/10 - Ramses is the son of the Pharaoh and chafes at restrictions set upon him by his father and the priests. He is popular with his soldiers and the people, but the priests control the wealth and much of the power. The priests plot to keep him in check while he works to gain what he wants. The movie was good, but the best part was the first 30-45 minutes. I thought that it got a bit bogged down after that, though it wasn't bad.

449 - In Darkness (2011) - 8/10 - Leopold Socha was a sewer worker in Lvov, Poland during WWII. He and his partner were also petty thieves. When they encounter a group of Jews in the sewer after the Germans eliminated the Ghetto, they bring them food and use their knowledge of the sewers to hide them for a fee. Socha keeps helping them even after the money runs out, though. This film is based on a true story and seems pretty realistic in terms of what happened. I thought it was pretty well done with a nice performance by the actor who played Socha.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
450 - War-Time Romance (aka Voenno-polevoy roman) (1983) - 6/10 - During WWII, Sasha was a soldier on the front line. He was strongly attracted to Luba, a female soldier who was partnered with his commander. After the war, Sasha is happily married, but one day he sees Luba working as a street vendor. She has a young daughter whose father was killed during the war. His feelings for her are revived and he starts seeing her. The movie was okay, though a bit dull at times. Sasha was probably the least interesting of the characters. His wife, Vera, and Luba were much more interesting.

:8510:
451 - Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom (2015) - 8.5/10 - This film documents the protests that started in Ukraine when the President backed down from signing an agreement to join the EU and instead moved to become more closely allied with Russia. The protesters were targeted by special police forces, but the movement grew into a revolution that lasted for months and became bloodier as it went along, even though the protesters were unarmed. The film features many interviews taken after the revolution along with footage taken during the the months of struggle. It is a very good film, though parts of it can be tough to watch.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

452 - The Boys of Paul Street (1968) - 8/10 - In 1902 Budapest, two rival groups of boys are preparing to go to 'war' against each other to decide who gets control of the "grund", a large vacant lot where they can play ball games, hold meetings, and so on. The groups hold planning sessions, spy on each other, and get ready for the upcoming battle. The boy in the middle of everything is Erno Nemecsek, the smallest boy in either group, but one with a lot of spirit. The adventures here are pretty serious to the kids involved, though much less so to the adults who interact with them. It's a pretty well done film.

453 - Hungarians (Magyarok) (1978) - 6/10 - A group of Hungarian villagers are hired to travel to northern Germany during WWII where they will stay in a castle and work on a very large farm. They will earn very good wages for this seasonal work. While there, they witness poor treatment given to Polish and French prisoners. It isn't a bad film, but it is also not very engaging and you don't really get to know the villagers as individuals.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:710:
454 - Hanussen (1988) - 7/10 - A sergeant in the German army during WWI is wounded and as he recovers discovers that he seems to have psychic abilities including clairvoyance and will transference plus the ability to hypnotize people. After the war, he becomes a performer, professing to have no interest in politics, though he later gets caught up with the Nazis. The movie is based on the life of a real man who took the name Hanussen and was active back in the 1920s and early 1930s. It's a decent film.

455 - Divided We Fall (2000) - 8/10 - A childless Czech couple helps a former Jewish neighbor and friend after he escapes from a Polish camp in 1943. They hide him in their home for two years at great risk. There is also a lot of humor in the film as they have to deal with a nosy collaborator and former coworker. I liked this one quite a bit.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:910:
456 - Zelary (2003) - 9/10 - A nurse and her lover (a surgeon) are part of the resistance in Czechoslovakia during WWII. When their cell is discovered, they have to separate and the nurse has to flee to a remote mountain village where she will hide as the wife of a patient that she recently helped save. Adjusting to life in this rural area is a challenge. The movie is very well done and entertaining.

457 - A Sailor-Made Man (1921) - 8/10 - Harold Lloyd stars as a wealthy scion who spends his days in idleness until he decides to marry a young woman. He then ends up enlisting in the navy and shenanigans ensue. Very entertaining as usual from Lloyd.

458 - Robin Hood (1922) - 8/10 - Douglas Fairbanks stars as the Earl of Huntingdon who goes off to the Crusades with Richard the Lionheart, only to return to England as Robin Hood when Prince John is oppressing the people in Richard's absence. In some ways, I like this version more than the Errol Flynn classic, though overall I gave the later film a slight edge. We get nice castle and forest sets and plenty of action, though not really all that much as Robin Hood and his Merry Men. It's a fun movie and Fairbanks is pretty good as Robin Hood, though he was better in Thief of Bagdad. Wallace Beery was good as Richard and Alan Hale played Little John. Those are probably the best known of the supporting cast, though Enid Bennett as Maid Marian was also good.

:6510:
459 - The Pilgrim (1923) - 6.5/10 - Charlie Chaplin's tramp is an escaped convict here who gets mistaken for the new parson when he arrives in a town. They make him feel welcome and he does his best to fit in. This wasn't bad, but it definitely feels like a lesser Chaplin film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

460 - The Last Laugh (1924) - 8/10 - An elderly doorman at a high class hotel is very proud of his job and his uniform. When he is reassigned as the washroom attendant due to his age, he does not take it well and seems to age almost immediately. He also tries to keep it a secret from his family and the gossiping old women who live in his apartment building. The film is told without intertitles and is very well done.

461 - Seven Chances (1925) - 8/10 - Buster Keaton stars as a junior executive at a company that is having financial problems. He learns that he will inherit a large fortune if he is married by 7pm on his birthday which is that day. He awkwardly goes around asking various women to marry him without success until news of his possible inheritance gets around and then he can't get away from the hordes of women. The movie is a bit slow in the beginning, but picks up halfway through and is pretty much nonstop from there.

462 - Tell it to the Marines (1926) - 8/10 - William Haines stars as 'Skeet' Burns, a young smart aleck and slacker who decides to join the marines for some reason. He becomes enamored with a navy nurse (Eleanor Broadman) and also regularly runs afoul of his sergeant (Lon Chaney). The action eventually moves to sea and later to China. Overall it is a pretty nice film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:510:
463 - Reunion in Vienna (1933) - 5/10 - A banished Archduke (John Barrymore) returns to Vienna for a reunion party and tries to restart his relationship with his former lover (Diana Wynyard) while evading the police. The former lover is now married to a noted psychiatrist (Frank Morgan). I didn't really enjoy this movie very much. It isn't totally without merit, but the Archduke is abusive and overbearing and it is hard to figure out why everyone still kowtows to him, even if he is a noble. Diana Wynyard is the best of the three leads.

464 - Jesus Camp (2006) - 7/10 - This film looks into the ministry of Becky Fischer and a children's summer camp for Evangelical Christianity. Many of these kids are homeschooled and we get a look into how they are taught/indoctrinated (depending on your point of view). I find it kind of scary and sad. It's a decent film, but not something that I'd ever want anything to do with.

465 - The Mark of Zorro (1920) - 8/10 - Douglas Fairbanks stars as Don Diego in this adaptation which came out only about a year after The Curse of Capistrano was published. Fairbanks does a very nice job and the supporting cast is pretty good as well. I can see why the movie was popular and led to many other Zorro productions (and stories) over the years.

466 - The Doll (1919) - 7/10 - Ernst Lubitsch directed this film about a young man who is scared of women, but whose rich uncle wants him to get married. He purchases a lifelike doll from a master craftsman named Hilarius so that he can get married and live in peace. However, due to a mishap, the craftsman's daughter, Ossi, pretends to be the doll. The movie has a fair amount of charm and is entertaining.

467 - Tarzan of the Apes (1918) - 7/10 - This film adapts the first half of the novel and is a pretty decent origin story for Tarzan. Gordon Griffith stars as Tarzan as a boy while Elmo Lincoln stars as Tarzan as an adult. Lincoln was a bit stiff in his role, but Griffith was better.

468 - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1917) - 7/10 - Mary Pickford plays Rebecca, a young teen who is sent to live with her strict aunts in the city to ease the burden on her mother who has six other children. Rebecca is free spirited and energetic and able to get into harmless mischief now and then. The first 40-45 minutes are the best part with plenty of humor. The circus section was the best part. They crammed a lot into the last 20-25 minutes, but it isn't bad. Overall a decent picture.

469 - Hell's Hinges (1916) - 6/10 - A young parson and his sister travel to Hell's Hinges in the West to start a church. However, most of the residents of the town want nothing to do with law or religion so the saloon owner gets a gunfighter to take care of the problem. However, the gunfighter becomes enamored with the parson's sister and protects them instead. There were some interesting scenes and it isn't a bad film, but there were some parts that also felt a bit implausible to me.

470 - The Regeneration (1915) - 8/10 - A boy is orphaned at age 10 and then grows up surrounded by violence in a poor neighborhood. When he grows up, he is recruited by gangsters and rises to the top role. Meeting a young woman trying to improve things for those in the settlement causes him to change, but it isn't easy to leave his past behind. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Rockliffe Fellows played Owen as an adult and did a good job. I'd never heard of him before, but his looks reminded me of Brando in On the Waterfront. Anna Q. Nilsson played the young woman and was good. She was very well known at the time and would later be one of the bridge players in Sunset Boulevard.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

471 - Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914) - 5/10 - Charlie Chaplin stars as a city slicker who woos a "young" woman named Tillie (45 year old Marie Dressler) in order to con her out of her money. They meet his girlfriend in town and that complicates things. Tillie has a wealthy uncle which helps her get out of jail when she ends up drunk and disorderly. The Keystone Kops play a supporting role here as well. Much of the humor relies on physical comedy that was likely popular at the time - hitting, slapping, kicking, pratfalls, etc. For me, that got old fairly quickly and I didn't find that all that funny. The movie had its moments and the last 8-10 minutes were pretty funny. The places they used for location shooting were also pretty cool to see. I don't think the movie holds up very well, but it is an interesting artifact of its time.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

472 - Twilight of a Woman's Soul (1913) - 7/10 - A woman is lured into a position where she is raped and her experience doesn't sit well with her confesses it to her husband after getting married later in the film. This early Russian film is pretty good and has a nice performance from the leading actress. It likely would have made a good talkie as well if expanded to decompress the story quite a bit.

473 - The Mystery of the Rocks of Kador (1912) - 7/10 - Count Fernand De Keramic is the guardian of a young woman who inherits a large amount of money. He also has debts and schemes to get her fortune for himself through marriage or other means. I think this movie holds up pretty well and I found it interesting.

474 - L'Inferno (1911) - 6/10 - Dante is lost in the woods and gets help from the poet Virgil. Virgil guides him through hell to get to his destination. Some of the effects were decent, especially for the time. The movie itself is fairly dull as we see many examples of punishments doled out in Hell. It gets a bit repetitive, though there are parts that are a bit more interesting from time to time.

475 - Shoulder Arms (1918) - 8/10 - Charlie Chaplin's Tramp joins the army and gets sent over to France. It's a bit slow here and there, but overall is pretty funny.

476 - My Grandmother (1929) - 8/10 - This Soviet silent comedy is very odd, but entertaining. It is a satire on office life and red tape among other things.

:1010:
477 - Metropolis (1927) - 10/10 - This is definitely a masterpiece of design with great special effects. The story may be a bit silly and over the top at times, but it is still lots of fun.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Working my way back with short films

Twelfth Night (1910) - 11 minutes
Frankenstein (1910) - 14 minutes
Afgrunden (1910) - 38 minutes

A Corner in Wheat (1909) - 14 minutes
Those Awful Hats (1909) - 3 minutes
The Mended Lute (1909) - 8 minutes
The Country Doctor (1909) - 14 minutes
The Devilish Tenant (1909) - 7 minutes
The Lonely Villa (1909) - 12 minutes
Princess Nicotine (1909) - 5 minutes

Fantasmagorie (1908) - 2 minutes
The Electric Hotel (1908) - 9 minutes
L'assassinat du duc de Guise (1908) - 15 minutes
Rescued from an Eagle's Nest (1908) - 8 minutes
Prussian Culture (1908) - 8 minutes
Modern Sculptors (1908) - 6 minutes
Legend of a Ghost (1908) - 14 minutes
Diabolical Pickpocket (1908) - 4 minutes

Tunneling the English Channel (1907) - 15 minutes
That Fatal Sneeze (1907) - 6 minutes
The 'Teddy' Bears (1907) - 14 minutes
Sightseeing Through Whisky (1907) - 6 minutes
The Talisman or Sheep's Foot (1907) - 13 minutes
The Red Spectre (1907) - 9 minutes

A Trip Down Market Street Before the Fire (1906) - 12 minutes
San Francisco Earthquake & Fire: April 18, 1906 (1906) - 14 minutes
The 400 Tricks of the Devil (1906) - 17 minutes
The Witch (1906)- 12 minutes
Dream of a Rarebit Fiend (1906) - 7 minutes

The Palace of Arabian Knights (1905) - 21 minutes
New York Subway (1905) - 6 minutes
The Living Playing Cards (1905) - 3 minutes
How Jones Lost His Roll (1905) - 8 minutes
The Night Before Christmas (1905) - 9 minutes
The Seven Ages (1905) - 5 minutes
In the Swimming Pool, Palm Beach, Florida (1905) - 3 minutes
La statue (1905) - 5 minutes
Rescued by Rover (1905) - 6 minutes

The Impossible Voyage (1904) - 20 minutes
478 - Krunisanje Kralja Petra I Karadjordjevica (1904) - 54 minutes

Life of an American Fireman (1903) - 6 minutes
The Great Train Robbery (1903) - 11 minutes
The Sick Kitten (1903) - 1 minute
Le mélomane (1903) - 2 minutes
Uncle Tom's Cabin (1903) - 17 minutes
Le royaume des fées (1903) - 16 minutes
A Romance of the Rail (1903) - 4 minutes
Le revenant (1903) - 3 minutes
Le puits fantastique (1903) - 4 minutes

The Flying Train (1902) - 2 minutes
Le voyage dans la lune (1902) - 15 minutes
The Little Match Seller (1902) - 3 minutes
Jack and the Beanstalk (1902) - 10 minutes
La fée printemps (1902) - 3 minutes
Gulliver's Travels (1902) - 4 minutes
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1902) - 9 minutes
The Coronation of Edward VII (1902) - 3 minutes
Midwife to the Upper Classes (1902) - 4 minutes
Alcohol and Its Victims (1902) - 5 minutes
Bird's-Eye View of San Francisco, Cal., from a Balloon (1902) - 3 minutes
Electric Tram Rides from Forster Square, Bradford (1902) - 3 minutes

L'homme à la tête en caoutchouc (1901) - 3 minutes
Bluebeard (1901) - 10 minutes
History of a Crime (1901) - 5 minutes
Fire! (1901) - 5 minutes
Scrooge; or Marley's Ghost (1901) - 3 minutes
Execution of Czolgosz with Panorama of Auburn Prison (1901) - 3 minutes
Hat of Many Surprises (1901) - 3 minutes
The House of Mystery (1901) - 3 minutes
A Holiday Pageant at Home (1901) - 4 minutes
Panoramic View of the Morecambe Sea Front (1901) - 3 minutes
Undressing Extraordinary (1901) - 3 minutes
Parkgate Iron and Steel Co., Rotherham (1901) - 3 minutes
Jamaica Street, Glasgow (1901) - 3 minutes
Sampson-Schley Controversy (1901) - 3 minutes
Cunard Vessel at Liverpool (1901) - 3 minutes
Manchester Band of Hope Procession (1901) - 3 minutes
Preston Egg Rolling (1901) - 3 minutes
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

479 - Fantômas: In the Shadow of the Guillotine (1913) - 7/10
480 - Fantômas: Juve Against Fantômas (1913) - 7.5/10
481 - Fantômas: The Dead Man Who Killed (1913) - 7.5/10
482 - Fantômas: Fantômas Against Fantômas (1914) - 7.5/10
483 - Fantômas: The False Magistrate (1914) - 7/10

The Fantômas series features a master criminal who is a thief, murderer, and master of disguise. He is pursued by Inspector Juve and Juve's friend Fandor, a newspaper reporter. Fantômas is quick witted and manages to escape sooner or later when captured. The series is fun with the middle three being the ones that I enjoyed the most.

484 - Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) - 8.5/10 - I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than when I watched it many years ago. I was probably more receptive to it this time around, but it certainly helped that the version I watched this time wasn't the muddied and dark print that I saw the last time.

:7510:
485 - The Unknown (1927) - 7.5/10 - Alonzo (Lon Chaney) is a circus performer without arms who performs tricks with guns and knives. He's in love with the circus owner's daughter Nanon (Joan Crawford) who has an aversion to men touching her with their hands and thus finds Alonzo comfortable. However, Alonzo is not quite what he seems. This one was pretty good and Chaney was excellent.

33 minutes A Dog's Life (1918) - 7/10 - Charlie Chaplin's Tramp is sleeping in a vacant lot. He is hungry and tries to get a job without success. He rescues a dog from a group of other dogs and this eventually leads to his good fortune. I thought it was fun.

Regen (1929) - 14 minutes - Rain falls in Amsterdam. I watched the version with the Larry Marotta guitar soundtrack and it was pretty cool.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Buster Keaton shorts

The Rough House (1917) - 4/10 - 19 minutes - This is really a Fatty Arbuckle short which has Keaton in it. I didn't think most of it was really all that funny, though a few bits in the dinner scene were amusing, such as serving the soup.

Convict 13 (1918) - 7.5/10 - 19 minutes - This one was a lot more fun. Keaton is golfing and has a few mishaps and then has a variety of adventures in a prison.

One Week (1920) - 9/10 - 25 minutes - After I started watching this, I realized that I had seen it before, but it was worth a rewatch. Keaton is a newlywed who tries to assemble a house from a kit. It's very funny and creative.

The Scarecrow (1920) - 8.5/10 - 19 minutes - I thought this was about on par with One Week. The house and its design was very creative and I liked this various gags with the dog, scarecrow, etc.

Neighbors (1920) - 7.5/10 - 19 minutes - Keaton and the girl next door are in love, but the families have a bit of a feud. I thought it was a bit simpler in scope, but was still pretty funny.

The Haunted House (1921) - 7/10 - 21 minutes - A bank teller runs into a 'haunted' house... I didn't think that this was as funny as the last few I watched, but some of the gags in the haunted house weren't bad.

Hard Luck (1921) - 6.5/10 - 21 minutes - Keaton tries unsuccessfully to commit suicide a number of times and then goes off fishing, hunting, etc. with a number of mostly uninspired gags.

The 'High Sign' (1921) - 7/10 - 20 minutes - Keaton looks for a job in a shooting gallery and ends up in a gang. This was good and had a few good gags in it.

The Goat (1921) - 8.5/10 - 23 minutes - Keaton gets mistaken for a notorious bad guy and spends most of his time on the run. It was pretty funny.

The Playhouse (1921) - 8/10 - 23 minutes - Keaton works in a playhouse, though he has bigger dreams than just working there. This one was pretty good.

The Boat (1921) - 5.5/10 - 23 minutes - Keaton takes his family out for a trip in his new homemade boat. This one didn't really work for me. A lot of it just seemed dumb.

The Paleface (1922) - 7/10 - 20 minutes - Oil barons cheat a Native American tribe and they look to take out their anger on Keaton who wanders in chasing butterflies. It wasn't bad.

Cops (1922) - 7/10 - 18 minutes - This one had to set a record for how many police chase a guy in a movie.

My Wife's Relations (1922) - 7/10 - 24 minutes - Keaton is an artist who ends up accidentally married.

The Blacksmith (1922) - 7.5/10 - 21 minutes - Keaton as a somewhat inept blacksmith working on horses and cars.

The Frozen North (1922) - 5.5/10 - 17 minutes - I liked the gag with the holdup, but otherwise this one wasn't that great.

The Electric House (1922) - 7.5/10 - 23 minutes - Keaton graduates from college and gets hired to install electricity in a house. He does a pretty good job.

Day Dreams (1922) - 7/10 - 21 minutes - Keaton goes out to seek his fortune so that he can marry the woman he likes. He goes through a variety of professions.

The Balloonatic (1923) - 7/10 - 22 minutes - Keaton spends time at an amusement park until an errant balloon ride has him end up in the wilderness whee he has further adventures.

The Love Nest (1923) - 7/10 - 20 minutes - A jilted lover sets sail in a small boat and ends up on a whaling ship.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Harold Lloyd shorts

Never Weaken (1921) - 8.5/10 - 29 minutes - Lloyd works in an office and is in love with the girl who works next door. He drums up business for her employer and is heartbroken when he thinks that she has jilted him for another. It was pretty funny and had a really nice construction site scene.

Luke's Movie Muddle (1916) - 5/10 - 7 minutes - This early Lloyd film isn't in his usual style and isn't really very good. He's an usher/ticket seller at a movie theater who hits on some of the women.

Haunted Spooks (1920) - 7.5/10 - 25 minutes - A young woman inherits a mansion, but has to live in it for a year with her husband. Since she has no husband, Lloyd is enlisted to marry her. This one is funny and has a number of good scenes.

From Hand to Mouth (1919) - 7.5/10 - 22 minutes - Lloyd is penniless and hungry and befriends a young girl in a similar state before helping an heiress get her fortune. Lots of good chases including a nice one with manholes.

High and Dizzy (1920) - 7/10 - 25 minutes - Lloyd is a young doctor and business is slow. He spends most of the short drunk, part of the time with his friend and fellow drunk. I liked the scene at the hotel desk and the sleepwalking bit as well.

Among Those Present (1921) - 7.5/10 - 34 minutes - Lloyd works at a hotel and is recruited to pose as a lord as part of a 'practical joke'. It's good up until he has to try riding a rambunctious horse and after that it becomes even funnier.

Ask Father (1919) - 7.5/10 - 13 minutes - Lloyd tries to get into to see the busiest man in town in order to ask him for permission to marry his daughter. He goes to great lengths. I thought it was pretty funny and I remembered that I had seen it before just a few minutes in.

Young Mr. Jazz (1919) - 6.5/10 - 10 minutes - There is a funny 'snorkeling' scene at the beach early in the film as Lloyd tries to avoid the father to set up a date with his girl. The action shifts to a crooked dance hall where the two try to avoid the father. It's a decent film, but not one of Lloyd's best.

Get Out and Get Under (1920) - 7/10 - 25 minutes - Lloyd is late getting to a play and gets into all sorts of trouble with his car.

Hey There (1918) - 6.5/10 - 10 minutes - Lloyd tries to deliver a letter that an actress dropped, but has trouble getting to her on set. There are some funny bits.

Take a Chance (1918) - 7/10 - 10 minutes - This is basically a series of related skits that flow one to the next. There was also one part that had similarities with Keaton's Convict 13. It was funny, though.

Billy Blazes, Esq. (1919) - 7/10 - 13 minutes - Lloyd is a gunfighter who sets out to rescue a lady being held by a bad guy and his gang in this western. Lloyd doesn't appear until just before the halfway mark which is unusual, but he is pretty good with some interesting gunplay.

An Eastern Westerner (1920) - 8/10 - 23 minutes - This one was a rewatch. Lloyd is sent by his father to his uncle's ranch in the West. He meets a girl that he tries to impress and has to deal with a gang chasing him. Lots of funny gags.

486 - The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1914) - 5/10 - This adaptation of the seventh Oz book came out about a year after it was published and was produced by Baum's movie studio. I imagine it was fairly popular at the time since the books were new and the film industry was still somewhat primitive. However, the film doesn't seem all that great to me, though there were a few interesting bits. One big thing that came out of the movie was the meeting of Hal Roach and Harold Lloyd who each had small parts.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

487 - Three Ages (1923) - 6/10 - Buster Keaton stars as a man who is unlucky in love and is overshadowed by his rival, Wallace Beery. There are parallel stories in cave man times, in Rome, and in the modern day where each story plays out in a similar fashion. There are a few good gags, but mostly the film is pretty dull until the last 15 minutes or so when it picks up and is good.

Charlie Chaplin shorts

Sunnyside (1919) - 5/10 - 34 minutes - Chaplin works long hours at a hotel and on the farm in a small rural town. He is mistreated constantly by his boss, the local preacher. There were a few good bits, but overall this film wasn't all that interesting.

A Day's Pleasure (1919) - 7.5/10 - 17 minutes - Chaplin takes his family for an outing on a ferry and then for a car ride where they ran into a few traffic problems. The ferry is moving enough to make people seasick. This one was pretty good and had a number of laughs.

Idle Class (1921) - 8.5/10 - 30 minutes - The Tramp arrives in town by train and goes golfing. The golf outing has plenty of funny moments. Chaplin also plays a wealthy, but absent minded husband whose wife is upset with him for his drinking. There are some Prince and the Pauper gags as well. I enjoyed this one a lot.

A Night Out (1915) - 4/10 - 27 minutes - The Tramp is drunk and goes to a restaurant with his fellow drunk where the two proceed to cause problems for a well dressed man in a top hat as well as the head waiter. At the hotel later, the two run into the waiter again along with his wife. I didn't find the 'humor' here to be funny.

The Vagabond (1916) - 7.5/10 - 27 minutes - The Tramp is a street musician who comes across a young woman who is being abused and forced to work by gypsies. It's a bit light on the comedy after the opening sequence at the bar, but it is still a good film.

Police (1916) - 7/10 - 26 minutes - The Tramp is released from prison, but finds life on the outside difficult. He falls in with his old cell mate who plans to rob a house. I liked it