hows your day going ?

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: hows your day going ?

Post by Rusty »

I spent my first day of Winter Break finishing up most of my Christmas shopping. I also am almost done with my Christmas cards. I send out around 30 of them which pales in comparison to the 150-200 that my mom sends out.

My family is getting together on Christmas Eve as usual for dinner and opening presents. I'll go over to my mom's house on Christmas Day and we'll play cards and go see a movie.

I also bought tickets to go see Lion King at the Detroit Opera House in February. I haven't seen it before and I've heard good things about the show for a long time.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

150-200! thats madness!!! Have a merry Christmas! have a good time at the lion king to!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I think that she used to send out 200-250, but cut that down as people passed away or stopped sending cards to her.

Merry Christmas, Dave!
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

I took my mom to see the Lion King musical at the Opera House last night and had a great time. They put on a very nice show.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Did the lions eat anyone?...... :p
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Several people from the audience, but we didn't miss them. ;)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

The power went out on school Wednesday morning. They kept school open with a generator until the end of the day and then shut it off. We were closed on Thursday because of the power, but I had a conference scheduled that day out by Metro Airport so I did not have the day off like everybody else. Fortunately they are closed again today so I can enjoy the extra day off.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

I havent been doing anything for a while now, I had to use up vacation time! I wish I could go back and do it agim... and again... This is one of the few times we didnt lose power during an outage
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

After finishing watching Little Dorrit this morning, I've mostly finished the challenge I set for myself to watch every movie nominated for Best Actor/Actress/Supporting Actor/Supporting Actor/Director. I'd already completed the Best Picture nominees years ago. All that is left are some of the nominees from this year and 8 movies that are not available. Three of those are lost and the other five are in archives, but not readily available to the public.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Which 3 movies are lost?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Psychotic_Carp wrote:Which 3 movies are lost?
The Way of All Flesh (1927) nominated for Best Actor
The Patriot (1929) nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director and more
The Rogue Song (1930) nominated for Best Actor.

Laurel and Hardy were in The Rogue Song and some of their scenes still exist, but only about 8 minutes of film total from the film is known to exist. The soundtrack for the movie exists, though. The trailer for The Patriot is on Youtube.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

you would think with all of the reels they made for all of the theaters back then they would find some, most of Doctor whos first season are gone, I wonder how many shows are lost?
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

One of the main reasons that the Doctor Who (and other BBC shows) are gone is that they wiped the masters back in the 70s. They didn't see it as valuable to preserve them and likely wanted to save money on storage.

With the 1920s/1930s movies, a lot of the film stock was nitrate and degraded over time. Some of these lost films were in the company archives, but there has been at least one fire in these archives that destroyed the prints since this stock was also flammable. I guess most people didn't think much about preservation, but you would think with as many copies that were printed at least one would survive, but I guess not.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

Two more weeks of school left. I'm ready for this year to be over.

I got an email from Comcast on Saturday that I had used 925 GB of data for the month and had reached 90% of my monthly cap. Needless to say, this shocked the heck out of me. I logged in and checked my usage meter and found that I had used 118 GB in April, 117 GB in March and similar amounts the four months previous. 925 GB made no sense so I called them and they told me that over 200 GB was used on May 24, 25 and 26 plus 125 GB on May 27. I figure that either their meter was wrong or somebody hacked my router or modem or somesuch.

I disconnected the router and modem and didn't use it at all until Monday and my usage meter didn't change. I've used the cable modem for brief periods and had no problems. I'm going to reconnect the cable modem for normal usage when the meter starts over tomorrow and see what happens. I also changed my passwords on XFinity and for my cable modem. If nothing changes, then maybe it was my router or maybe whoever was doing this moved on. I also set up notifications so that I'll get emails starting at 50% instead of at 90%.

Pretty annoying, though.

Comcast gives you two months of courtesy overages if you go over 1024 GB, but I shouldn't be anywhere close to the cap. One of the customer service people I talked to was pretty helpful, but a couple of the others tried to push the Unlimited Data plan for something like $200 a month. Yeah, right.
Psychotic_Carp
Your Administrator
Your Administrator

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Are you watching stuff in 4k? Most people dont even come close to that, if someone was using your router , when you turned it off they may have switched over to something else until your not watching again. what type of security settings are you using?