Movies

This forum is to jibber and jabber
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Re: Movies

Post by Rusty »

:710:
600 - Land and Freedom (1995) - 7/10 - David Carr has died of old age and his granddaughter goes through his things, discovering that he was once a communist freedom fighter in Spain during the Spanish Revolution. We then get to see his experiences over there. It's a decent film that seems to meander a bit now and then, though perhaps that helps with immersion in the tale. There were two factions of communists in the revolution and eventually the ones who followed Stalin broke apart (or betrayed) from the others.

:810:
601 - Air (2023) - 8/10 - The story of how Nike signed Michael Jordan and created the Air Jordan line which became a huge success. Before that, Nike was known for running shoes, but had no real impact in the basketball market. It was a pretty good story and Matt Damon did a nice job as well as the rest of the cast.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

602 - Death Wish (1974) - 7/10 - Charles Bronson stars as an architect who was a conscientious objector during the Korean War, but served as a combat medic. When his wife and daughter are attacked in his apartment, it leads to his transformation into a vigilante who roams the streets looking for muggers. There certainly do seem to be quite a few of them in NYC. I think that I watched this back in the 1980s, but didn't remember much about it. It wasn't too bad and was certainly much less cartoonish than the sequel I watched earlier in the year.

603 - Lady Snowblood (1973) - 7/10 - Yuki is a trained killer who is set on getting revenge on the people who raped her mother and killed her mother's husband 20 years earlier. There is a lot of violence and blood splatter. I wasn't a big fan of the Lady Snowblood manga and found it to be a disappointment compared to Koike's Lone Wolf and Cub series. The movie is okay and has decent fight scenes, music, and use of color.

:7510:
604 - The Railway Children (1970) - 7.5/10 - A somewhat wealthy family's life is disrupted early in the 20th Century when the father is taken into custody the day after Christmas. The wife and three children are eventually forced to move to a home in the country due to their impoverished financial condition. The three children have a series of small adventures centered around the local train station. It's a fairly wholesome and entertaining family film. Jenny Agutter plays the oldest daughter, reprising her role from an earlier BBC adaptation. She played the mother in another adaptation 30 years later. It was a bit funny that the younger daughter was actually three years older than Agutter.

605 - The Beginning / Nachalo (1970) - 7/10 - A young factory worker/actress falls in love with a married man and also gets offered the role of Joan of Arc in a movie. I liked the lead actress and think she did a nice job, but the film as a whole seemed a bit inconsistent.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

606 - The Parallax view (1974) - 7.5/10 - A reporter starts looking into the assassination of a Senator when they realize that witnesses to the assassination are starting to die as well. This is a pretty good thriller.

70 (1970) (5 minutes)
8 Flags for 99¢ (1970) (26 muntes)
The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins (1970) (31 minutes)
Fly (1970) (25 minutes)
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

607 - Fanfare (1958) - 8/10 - A rivalry between two men causes the band in a small town to break into two parts. There is a lot of back and forth with stealing instruments and banners as each band wants to be the one to represent the town in an upcoming contest. I thought it was fun.

:5510:
608 - Little Sister / Zusje (1995) - 5.5/10 - A man who seems to have an unhealthy obsession with his little sister shows up at her door one day after not seeing her for years and wants to film her life virtually nonstop. It's kind of a weird film.

609 - Johnny Got His Gun (1971) - 7/10 - An American soldier is injured by an artillery shell during WWI and is in a sort of coma, though his mind is aware of some of the activity going around him and his thoughts sometimes delve into his memories from before his injury. It's a decent film and I wish that I liked it more, but I didn't totally connect with it.

610 - The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) - 7/10 - Vincent Price stars as a famous organist who is thought to have died in a car accident that left him disfigured and injured. He was on his way to his wife's side, but she died. Now he seeks revenge against those he holds responsible for her death. It's not bad and there are some interesting parts plus it is kind of stylish.

:410:
611 - The Beast (1975) - 4/10 - A weird film about people who obsessed with sex and erotica. One woman can't stop trying to have sex with one of the servants. There is also a beast in the forest that apparently enjoys sex as well.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:610:
612 - Moscow-Cassiopeia (1974) - 6/10 - A genius teenager creates a nuclear engine that can propel a spaceship to nearby stars. A mission is set up to send a group of teens on a mission to explore radio signals from Alpha Cassiopeia. The mission is supposed to take 27 years to get there. I thought the film looked interesting and I was expecting to enjoy it, but the humor didn't really work for me and I found much of it to be kind of boring. There were some neat things once they finally got on board the spaceship, but the film was a bit disappointing.

613 - Teens in the Universe (1975) - 7/10 - This film continues the story from where Moscow-Cassiopeia left off. I enjoyed it more than the first film. The teens arrive at their destination and find humanoid robots there. Unfortunately, the goal of the robots is to make people 'happy' by removing a number of emotions.

:5510:
614 - Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979) - 5.5/10 - Betrayed on his wedding night, a man sees most of his family and friends slaughtered. He recruits fighters to help him get revenge. There are some semi-decent fight sequences, but the story itself is kind of a slog.

:6510:
615 - Five Deadly Venoms (1978) - 6.5/10 - A dying master is worried that his five former students may pose a threat to the treasure that the clan has accumulated so he sends his final student to locate the five and see which ones can be trusted.

616 - The Magic Blade (1976) - 6.5/10 - A swordsman has to fend off a rival and various assassins as he goes in search of the Peacock Dart. There were some decent action sequences.

:310:
617 - Hotel Monterey (1973) - 3/10 - Chantal Akerman treats us to a silent tour of a dingy hotel in New York with plenty of shots of hallways, the elevator, a room or two, etc. It is very tedious. The last 10 minutes are better as the camera moves to the roof and we get a view of the surrounding part of the city.

618 - Humain, trop humain (1974) - 7/10 - The film's opening segment takes place at an automotive factory and looks at various aspects of the assembly without narration. The next segment lasts around 15 minutes and takes place at an auto show. The final segment last 40 minutes and returns to the automotive factory. I enjoyed the film, but think it would have been better to combine the two factory sections and condense it a bit, leaving the auto show segment for the end, though I see what Malle was going for with the end bringing things full circle. I started getting a bit bored with the factory segment toward the end.

619 - Fertile Memory (1980) - 8/10 - This was looks at the lives of two Palestinian women and their struggles. One woman is older and struggled to raise her children in poverty after the Israelis took their farmland over 30 years earlier. The other woman is younger and wants to be independent and free, but faces a number of challenges herself. It's an interesting film and like a poem in some ways.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

620 - ...ere erera baleibu izik subua aruaren... (1970) - An experimental film that reminded me a bit of Brakhage, but I thought it was more interesting than his works. Still, at over 70 minutes, it was too long.

621 - My Way Home (1978) - 6.5/10 - I didn't think this was as interesting as the first two installments in the Bill Douglas trilogy, but it was okay. Jamie goes to live with his father and paternal grandmother, but finds life difficult there. He later ends up in the army and is sent to Egypt.

622 - Pakeezah (1972) - 6/10 - I liked the music, costumes, and sets, but the story was much less interesting.

623 - Abhimaan (1973) - 8/10 - A popular singer falls in love after meeting a talented young woman who also sings, though only for herself. They get married and he pushes her to sing with him. However, she becomes more popular than him and he becomes jealous and starts pushing her away. I thought this was very well acted throughout.

:910:
624 - My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - 9/10 - I liked Totoro when I watched it 30+ years ago on vhs, but I liked it even more now. The English voice cast did a great job and the movie is very nicely done.

625 - Duvidha (1973) - 4/10 - A merchant's son is sent away to make his fortune, leaving behind his new bride. A ghost sees an opportunity and takes the young man's form while he is away. When the young man returns, the people in town and even his family think that he is an imposter. It seems like an interesting premise, but it is very slow and kind of lifeless. I didn't really enjoy this at all.

:4510:
626 - Our Daily Bread / Uski Roti (1970) - 4.5/10 - A woman travels a long distance every day to bring her truck driver husband a meal, but one day she is late and he is not happy with her. This is another movie that is very slow and lifeless. It's slightly better than Duvidha, but is still kind of a waste.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

627 - Battles Without Honor and Humanity (1973) - 6/10 - In postwar Hiroshima, yakuza gangs battle for power and money. There is a ton of violence here and the characters aren't really well developed. It shows the seedier and deadly side of gangster life, but I didn't find the film that compelling.

628 - In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni (1978) - 4/10 - This was like attending a 90 minute lecture from somebody who clearly thinks that he is better than you and knows more than you do , complete with accompanying film clips and slides. Some of the images and film clips were pretty interesting, much more than the accompanying narration.

629 - Monte Walsh (1970) - 6/10 - Lee Marvin stars as a cowboy who is getting on in years. The first part of the film seems kind of random and is pretty boring. It gets better in the second half and there are a couple of fun scenes, but overall not a great film.

630 - New York, New York (1977) - 7,5/10 - Robert De Niro is saxophonist Jimmy Doyle who is full of himself and a bit of a scam artist. He meets a young singer (Liza Minelli) just after WWII ends and the two eventually start a relationship which has its ups and downs. The music is pretty good and I liked the film, though it doesn't totally work and is a bit long.

631 - The Mongols (1973) - 6/10 - strange film that juxtaposes the history of cinema with the Mongol invasion of Iran. There were a number of things that I liked about the film and there was some creative imagery as well, but there were also some parts that were less interesting.

632 - Tokyo Twilight (1957) - 8/10 - A middle aged banker (Chishu Ryu) lives with his two adult daughters. Takako is separated from her husband and has a young daughter herself. Akiko dropped out of college to take English shorthand, is a bit wild, and has a problem with her boyfriend. Things get complicated when the mother who abandoned them 20 years earlier suddenly comes back into their lives. It's a pretty good film.

:8510:
633 - Late Autumn (1960) - 8.5/10 - Akiko (Setsuko Hara) is a widow who meets with three of her late husband's school friends on the anniversary of his death. Akiko lives at home with her adult daughter, Akiko (Yoko Tsukasa) and the two have a nice relationship. The three men decide to interfere and start trying to play matchmaker and get Ayako married off. However, things don't go as planned since Ayako has no interest in marrying and this eventually leads to a misunderstanding that causes some problems. This is a good film which I enjoyed and my favorite character was Ayako's friend Yuriko (Mariko Okada).
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

634 - The Company of Wolves (1984) - 6/10 - This Little Red Riding Hood story has excellent production design and a pretty boring story.

635 - Red State (2011) - 6.5/10 - A fundamentalist church (think Westboro) uses social media to lure young men who they then drug and execute during their services. A group of federal agents surround the church and a shootout ensues. It's not great, but it is okay.

636 - The Goalie’s Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (1972) - 7/10 - A goalie is sent out after an argument during an away match. He wanders around for a while, visits the cinema, hooks up with the theater cashier, and eventually goes to visit an old friend (plus a couple of other things that I left out). It's pretty laid back through most of it, but I liked it.

637 - Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) - 6/10 - A woman spends the night at an abandoned monastery after jumping off of a slowly moving train. She doesn't know that dead templars rise from their graves at night to attack the living. It was watchable, but not all that great.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

638 - Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) - 8/10 - Bergman does romantic comedy. Fredrik is a lawyer whose second wife Anne is much younger than him. They haven't consummated their marriage yet due to her trepidations. Fredrik's son Henrik is secretly (or not so secretly) in love with Anne and she reciprocates his feelings. Then there is the actress Desiree who was Fredrik's mistress after his first wife's death. It's a fairly lighthearted and entertaining film.

639 - Tabu (2012) - 6.5/10 - The first part of the film takes place in modern day Lisbon and centers around an old lady named Aurora, her caretaker Santa, and middle aged friend Pilar. The second part of the film takes place 50 or so years earlier and details Aurora's life in colonial Africa. The film is well made, but I found myself bored with it much of the time. I didn't really like the narration during the second half.

:510:
640 - Spirits of the Dead (1968) - 5/10 - An anthology of three tales, each with a different director. None of them were really all that interesting, though I did find things to like in the second and third parts.

641 - Innocent Blood (1992) - 7/10 - A female vampire lives by her own code of ethics - she only feeds on bad guys. However, she gets interrupted while feeding on a mob boss and he ends up coming back as a vampire. When he looks to set up a vampire mob syndicate, she teams up with a cop to bring him down. The humor doesn't always hit, but it is still a fairly entertaining film.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

642 - In the Mouth of Madness (1994) - 7.5/10 - Sam Neill stars as an insurance investigator sent to look into the disappearance of a popular horror writer. He discovers a number of crazy things that seem to indicate that the author's books are actually based on fact..or is he just descending into madness himself. Neill is pretty good here.

:310:
643 - L'Enfant secret (1979) - 3/10 - There are a lot of scenes with minimal or no dialogue. They linger far too long at times. The film is shot well, but I didn't care for the characters or their story or for the film at all. A woman had a child out of wedlock with an actor. There are drugs, a hospital visit, and so on, but none of it really is all that interesting.

644 - Emergency! The Wedsworth-Townsend Act (1972) - 7.5/10 - The pilot movie for the tv show is named after the law in California which allowed for paramedic training. The tv show helped popularize the movement. Prior to this, most ambulances and their crews could only transport patients to hospitals and administer basic first aid. My brother was a big fan of this show (and Adam-12 as well). I watched it on occasion during the later seasons, but it wasn't one of my regular shows. I thought the pilot movie was pretty good and I'll go on and watch the first season.

645 - The Night Stalker (1972) - 8/10 - Darren McGavin stars as Carl Kolchak, a Las Vegas reporter with an eye for the sensational who has been fired from a number of newspapers over the years. Young women start turning up dead with their throats ripped out and their blood drained. Kolchak thinks that the killer may think that they are a vampire. Kolchak also butts heads with police and other officials. The supporting cast is nice and this is a pretty entertaining film. I started reading the Kolchak comics over a decade ago, but had never seen the movies or tv show.

646 - The Night Strangler (1973) - 7.5/10 - Kolchak has moved on to Seattle. He''s only been there a couple of weeks when a few mysterious murders start showing up and signs point to a pattern that takes place over 18 days every 21 years. The film follows a similar formula to The Night Stalker, but is still very entertaining. It also sets the stage for the tv series that followed.

647 - Je, Tu, Il, Elle (1974) - 6/10 - A woman is having trouble dealing with a breakup so she spends a lot of time in her apartment. At first she moves the furniture around and writes (and rewrites) a letter. Then she spends a ton of time sitting or lying on her mattress in the nude, eating sugar out of a paper bag. When she finally leaves she hitchhikes and gets a ride to visit her former lover. It was okay, but I got kind of bored with it at times, especially during the trip to visit the lover.

648 - Black Butterflies (2011) - 6/10 - This biography of South African poet Ingrid Jonker mostly takes place in the early-mid 1960s. She and her father disagree on many things and she is portrayed as being pretty unstable. The movie is a bit dull.

649 - Felice… Felice… (1998) - 7.5/10 - In 1895, photographer Felice Beato returns to Japan in search of the wife he left behind. Beato was a popular person during his earlier time in Japan, but finds that much has changed in his absence and he no longer fits in. The film is kind of slow and melancholy, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

650 - Secret Wedding (1989) - 6.5/10 - A man is found walking naked down a street in Buenos Aires thinking it is 1976. The police archives help fill in his past and he decides to return to his hometown and try to find the woman he loves. He finds her, but she does not recognize him and has issues of her own. He decides to get close to her as a friend. This is an Argentine/Netherlands film that won the Gouden Kalf.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

651 - A Bay of Blood (1971) - 6/10 - I guess this early slasher film was somewhat influential on the genre, but apart from a few creative deaths, it was mostly kind of boring. The film starts with the murder of a countess as part of a plot to steal her land, but there is another plot afoot and it is just the start of many deaths.

652 - Alucarda (1977) - 5/10 - Alucarda is an orphan who is raised in a strange convent. She befriends a new girl and then strange things start happening and the girls appear to be in love with Satan. The whole set up was kind of strange and the weird outfits that the nuns wore was distracting. The default mode also seemed to be set to scream mode throughout the film and that got kind of tiresome.

653 - Don't Go in the House (1979) - 6.5/10 - Donny is a little bit off, possibly due to the childhood abuse he received from his mother. When he comes home one night and finds that his mother has died, he starts hearing voices. He then lures women to his home where he burns them alive. It's a bit slow paced, but okay.

654 - Lemora: A Child’s Tale of the Supernatural (1973) - 7/10 - Lemora is a young teen being raised by a reverend during Prohibition. She has a beautiful singing voice and features prominently in church. She receives a note that her gangster father is dying and wants to see her so she sets out on a journey to find him, ending up in a strange town and in the company of a strange woman named Lemora. I thought this one wasn't bad.

655 - Phase IV (1974) - 7/10 - A cosmic event has changed the ants of the world so that they have a collective hive mind and greater intelligence. Two scientists set up a dome in the desert of Arizona to study the phenomenon, but find themselves outmatched. I liked it.

656 - Pauline & Paulette (2001) - 7/10 - Pauline is 66 years old, but with the mental ability of a young child. She lives with her older sister Martha, but when Martha dies, a choice has to be made whether Pauline will live with one of her two younger sister or be placed in an institution.

657 - Rosie (1998) - 7.5/10 - Rosie is a 13 year old girl who is in the process of being locked up in a juvenile facility. We find out her story and how she ended up there through long flashbacks. She lived with her mother in a small apartment in a rundown part of Antwerp. She has to call her mother her sister in public since her mother was only 14 when she had Rosie and wants to keep it a secret. There is the occasional boyfriend plus her mother's gambling addicted brother comes to stay with them. I thought it was pretty well acted.

658 - The Giants (2011) - 6/10 - Two teenage boys are left on their own during summer vacation while their mother is elsewhere. They are having a good time on what was once their grandfather's farm until they run out of money. They make a plan, but things don't go smoothly. I liked some parts of this, but some of it was a bit annoying, too.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

659 - Piranha (1978) - 7/10 - Mutated piranha from an old secret Army facility are released into the local waterways by accident and they start killing people along the way. There's a summer camp for kids and a new resort along the path that are threatened. The premise is kind of ridiculous, but it's a fun movie.

660 - Trilogy of Terror (1975) - 6/10 - Karen Black stars in three short tales, playing a different role in each one. The first story was okay and the last one is probably the most memorable. I didn't care for the middle story.

661 - The Werewolf Versus the Vampire Woman (1971) - 5/10 - The film started off pretty well, but was pretty boring through much of it. It was hard to keep my interest in what was going on.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:8510:
662 - The Duellists (1977) - 8.5/10 - Harvey Keitel is a French officer during the Napoleonic Era who is obsessed with dueling and is an ardent supporter of Napoleon. He takes a dislike to another French officer (Keith Carradine) and forces a number of duels on him over the next 15 years. The acting and cinematography are excellent and I enjoyed the film a lot.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

663 - The Resistance Banker (2018) - 6.5/10 - This film tells the story of the men who set up a secret bank to fund the Dutch resistance activities during WWII. The film looks pretty good and is fairly well acted, but would have benefitted from a quicker pace and possibly shaving 15-20 minutes from the runtime.

664 - Abel (1986) - 4/10 - Abel is in his early 30s and still lives at home with his parents. He hasn't left the house in 10 years and spends a fair amount of time trying to cut flies in half with scissors and watching people with his binoculars. His father is exasperated with him and his mother is somewhat overprotective of him. I didn't find the movie to be more annoying than funny.

665 - Black Book (2006) - 7.5/10 - A Jewish woman in the Netherlands infiltrates the Nazi headquarters for the Resistance toward the end of the war. It's a pretty entertaining film

666 - Love is All (2007) - 6.5/10 - The Dutch version of Love Actually is kind of mediocre, though it does have its moments.

667 - Simon (2004) - 7/10 - A gay dentist reunites with an old friend of his that he hasn't seen in over a decade. The friend is unlike the dentist in a number of way (his sexual habits in particular), but their friendship is rekindled before taking a more serious turn later in the film. I liked the second half of the film more than the earlier part, but overall it isn't bad.
Rusty
Math God
Math God

Post by Rusty »

:4510:
668 - The Little Blonde Dead (1993) - 4.5/10 - This is a strange movie in some ways and not one that I really liked. We start when Valentijn Boecke is a kid and see a little bit of interaction with his teacher and also some with his family. His father seems a little crazy, damaged by what he went through during WWII. Valentijn grows up and has a brief fling with his former teacher and ends up with a kid as a result. He's not ready to be a father, but is better at it than his former teacher, who turns out to be pretty out there herself. The acting wasn't that great and the story just seemed kind of off.

669 - The Moving True Story of a Woman Ahead of Her Time (2001) - 6/10 - This biopic about a Dutch children's author from the late 1800s and early 1900s centers on her 16 year marriage to a Socialist politician. Unfortunately, the story seems a bit muddled at times and isn't particularly interesting.

670 - Lady Snowblood 2: Love Song of Vengeance (1974) - 6/10 - I thought this was definitely a step down from the first film. It was pretty boring, though not totally without merit.

671 - The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) - 6/10 - This was a Hammer Horror/Shaw Brothers crossover with vampires and martial arts. It's interesting for the novelty, but I didn't find the story or action all that compelling for the most part.

672 - The Shout (1978) - 5/10 - A stranger insinuates himself into the home of a couple in England and later mentions that he learned a shout from Aboriginals that can kill people who are close by. This is a strange film that has some nice scenery and a decent soundtrack, but I didn't really care for the rest of it.

673 - The Rockford Files (1974) - 8/10 - James Garner stars as private investigator Jim Rockford. Rockford is a Korean veteran who served 5 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit before receiving a pardon. He lives in a trailer by the beach. Lindsay Wagner co-stars as Sara Butler, a young woman who hires Rockford to solve her father's murder. The tv movie pilot is pretty entertaining and shows the formula that is used in the regular tv show. Wagner would reprise her role in one episode of the regular season and the actor who played Rockford's father was replace for the tv series by Noah Beery, Jr., definitely a change for the better.